OT: Is Shooting Pool Considered A "Sport"?

supershifter2

DFO Star
Reaction score
Car racing?? Are you serious? Have you ever raced a car on a track? I have, and it's incredibly physically demanding. 2 hours of seat time racing will put you in bed by 8pm. I was a D1 college athlete (soccer) and it kicked my ass every time. It taxes the body, and the mind.
Willowsprings Road Race track in august is fun with a cool suit. Running from the cops is stressful when you have a car that breaks stuff. A red 66 mustang I autocrossed and did Dukes of Hazzard in in south mississippi in the 70's.

badd asses.jpg

me glam 1.jpg

Rotarded

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Willowsprings Road Race track in august is fun with a cool suit. Running from the cops is stressful when you have a car that breaks stuff. A red 66 mustang I autocrossed and did Dukes of Hazzard in in south mississippi in the 70's
Reserve Driver and Team crew chief Road Atlanta, in NASA National championships August 2016.Team podiumed 1st and 3rd (Spec3 BMWs). Drove VIR and Mid-Ohio that year. Will deny underground street racing 1994 Mazda RX-7 built over 500whp in the late 90's early 2000s

1594512745904.png

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Behold , a foto of a 30-06 that you shoot pool with. Water doesnt damage it right away.

View attachment 450563
LMAO. You could have said a bullet. I would have understood. Again, marksmanship is a skill, people compete, but I wouldn't call someone pulling a trigger an athlete. Biathlon is a sport, and they are athletes for sure.
What does water have to do with anything?
Sports mean a lot to me.

supershifter2

DFO Star
Reaction score
LMAO. You could have said a bullet. I would have understood. Again, marksmanship is a skill, people compete, but I wouldn't call someone pulling a trigger an athlete. Biathlon is a sport, and they are athletes for sure.
What does water have to do with anything?
Sports mean a lot to me.
thats not just a bullet. Thats a thirty ought sex I mean six. Well skinny dipping and trying to shoot the pool at the same time takes some physical doings.

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What athetic sports would have a famous player named 'Minnesota Fats'?
Shooting pool is a sport...if playing poker is.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
thats not just a bullet. Thats a thirty ought sex I mean six. Well skinny dipping and trying to shoot the pool at the same time takes some physical doings.
I bet it does.
I thought i was the most twisted guy on this forum?
Skinny dipping could be a sport, if ya get creative. Leave the gun, or what ever shoots that thing that looks like a bullet on the dock, or you'll probably be playing by yourself.
What athetic sports would have a famous player named 'Minnesota Fats'?
Shooting pool is a sport...if playing poker is.
Agreed. I stick to my rule of what is a sport.
If you can compete while smoking, and or drumk, it's not a sport.

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
I am not an athlete. But I am an athletic supporter.................it had to be said. Ace

P.S. Golf is a sport if you walk in hot weather.

snappy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
To quote Jim Rome,
"anything you get better at
with the more alcohol you consume..
is not a sport".
IMO
I think of sports as someone on the other side trying to physically prevent you from doing something you wish to do.
Additionally, is there a reasonable chance you could be critically injured or die.
Racing is a sport.
PGA Golf? By a whisker is an exception and is a sport.
The greatest skill, without question, in all of sports, is hitting a round ball with a round bat.
Finally, animals are not athletes.

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
7102137A-B3C8-47FF-A906-343F01302B38.jpeg

Angelo Zollo

Reaction score
As far as the golf not being a sport thing goes, I respectfully disagree and I hate golf.

just because on an amateur level it has a reputation of people doing it while smoking and drinking, that doesn’t mean it is not a sport...Professional golfers work really hard to stay in shape to constantly put that strain on their back and knees and really work on that skill of hitting that ball a few hundred yards to go into a small hole.

if in between switching sides each quarter in a football game I smoked a cigarette and drink a beer, would you say that football is not a sport?

Again, I’d like to reiterate that golf sucks imo.
Nmosko I must agree. I have tried golf. I am not that bad considering I never applied myself. Just to slow for me. Now I do like frisbee golf.

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What about bowling? I remember waiting for the bus for high school swim team practice. Ours was late and one showed. We are about to get on it and the driver stops us saying it’s for the bowling team.

My coach says in frustration, “Bowling? Bowling is not a sport. It’s a recreation.”

If you can drink a beer, or smoke a cigarette while participating, it's NOT a sport.
That included golf. Sports involve athletes.
My opinion anyway
Excursion is key for you then as golf is considered a sport by most of the world. I couldn’t careless either way. I see both sides.

I think professionally it’s a sport, but if you’re using a golf cart it’s a game.

Pool is a game. If getting fat and out of shape doesn't impede your performance, then "sport" is not the correct word for it.
“Out of shape” is the key phrase here as there are plenty of fat guys playing sports including every offensive lineman in the NFL.

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Some golfers are athletes for sure. Maybe if they ran to their next shot instead of driving a golf cart, I'd say it was a sport.
Hitting a golf ball with a cig hanging out of someone's mouth, and or playing drunk is pretty common...
Most PGA players workout, or exercise in some manner., as they have to walk from hole to hole.
John Daily won PGA championships while drunk.
The "sport" of golf..."sport" would depend on the level of competition I guess?
Doc Ellis threw a no-hitter while tripping on acid.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Car racing?? Are you serious? Have you ever raced a car on a track? I have (road course), and it's incredibly physically demanding. 2 hours of seat time racing will put you in bed by 8pm. I was a D1 college athlete (soccer) and it kicked my ass every time. It taxes the body, and the mind.
I believe I said i thought car racing was a sport. No ppwer steering! Can't smoke, or drink.