OT: Is Shooting Pool Considered A "Sport"?

hardbat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Everyone thinks they know what's a sport and what's not. But it's actually a very elusive term. And every "definition" someone tries to propose fails, or requires "exceptions", or, "well except that". That is certainly true for all the "definitions" proposed here in this thread. Yet, notice how everyone here is so certain and so sure they are right? I've enjoyed this same discussion on at least a half dozen forums, always leading nowhere.

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
The line between sport and game is quite blurry. I remember back in the 1980s when the Karpov-Kasparov chess match was happening, and after it had gone on for something like two months... Karpov had lost 20 pounds and on the verge of complete physical breakdown. It was publicized the degree of physical training the top players do maintain concentration and to endure the stress. Is it a sport?

Also, a lot of Americans are unfamiliar with the degree of physicality in certain sports that are more popular in other countries. The most extreme example is badminton, which is one of the most physically demanding sports when played competitively, yet most Americans laugh at it.
Don’t forget table tennis.

Castnblast

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
make no mistake, pool at its highest level is a sport demanding extreme mental focus and discipline, hand, eye and body coordination, and a level physical conditioning that would surprise many that are unaware.
IMO...

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Table tennis meets my criteria for sure.
Can't smoke, or drink. It's competitive, and in the better competition there is physical exertion.

As for a "sport" these are my opinions, and they have to meet certain criteria.
The "math team" competes, however it can be done with a Twinkle, and coffee

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
What about bowling? I remember waiting for the bus for high school swim team practice. Ours was late and one showed. We are about to get on it and the driver stops us saying it’s for the bowling team.

My coach says in frustration, “Bowling? Bowling is not a sport. It’s a recreation.”

Excursion is key for you then as golf is considered a sport by most of the world. I couldn’t careless either way. I see both sides.

I think professionally it’s a sport, but if you’re using a golf cart it’s a game.

“Out of shape” is the key phrase here as there are plenty of fat guys playing sports including every offensive lineman in the NFL.
I thought about NFL when I made the comment. Sure they're not, not is it desirable to be marathon runner thin. Neither extreme is healthy. I'll take a rower's body over a marathoner any day. (Where do I sign up). Cardiovascular fitness and strength are both independent of fat. We tend to make correlation that is true only for couch potatoes, not actual athletes. But being out of shape is definitely a liability in football, as is being overly fat. Overly fat varies from sport to sport. But there have been people cut because of their weight, and it can be an impediment getting down the field.

I'm not really a fan of football, and think concussion + coronavirus+ politics are all nails in the coffin of professional football, but they are athletes, no question.

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Everyone thinks they know what's a sport and what's not. But it's actually a very elusive term. And every "definition" someone tries to propose fails, or requires "exceptions", or, "well except that". That is certainly true for all the "definitions" proposed here in this thread. Yet, notice how everyone here is so certain and so sure they are right? I've enjoyed this same discussion on at least a half dozen forums, always leading nowhere.
I’m not taking this discussion seriously at all. Yes, I have an opinion, but it’s just for laughs to me. I really couldn’t care less.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Be a Good Sport and ask..
Alexa
"A sport is a physical activity carried out under fixed set of rules, with competition or self-enjoyment or a combination of both. ... Billiards is a sport, and you can play different games within the sport: eight- ball, nine- ball, three ball, one pocket and bank pool. "

Old Drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If stock car racing is a sport, then pool definitely is. Actually, baseball has some porky players who are barely athletes unless you define athleticism in terms of eye/hand coordination, which is required in pool too.

On a personal note, I've had the unfortunate experience these last few years of being physically wiped out after evenings of pool games. This didn't happen when I was younger. Then I'd work all day, ride my bicycle to a bar, and shoot pool for a couple hours without noticing a thing. Now just a couple hours shooting pool leaves me exhausted. (OK, I also have to walk a mile each way to and from the pool hall.)

My inference is that pool requires a lot more walking than people realize. In a 2-person match in which each shoots half the time, I bet each person spends at least half their shooting time walking around the table. You walk to your first shot, then to the next if you make the first, and so on, plus you're often walking around the table to eyeball a possible shot and then changing your mind. This is not to count walking to find the chalk, walking to get out of your opponent's way, walking to find the rack, walking to the bathroom or for more beer, etc. There's so much walking in pool that the typical player probably walks at least a mile for every hour playing. Then there's stretching. I sweat when I play pool, and as said am wiped out after an evening of it.

My guess is that pool is roughly similar to golf or bowling from a physical standpoint (or maybe even baseball). None are especially grueling, and they can't compare with tennis or soccer, but they aren't bereft of physicality. Plus they require eye/hand coordination.

But if the definition of a sport is what people watch on the TVs in sports bars, pool probably doesn't qualify.

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
from what I can gather from reading bunch dictionary entries... I would say a sport requires two elements... 1. the use of a physical skill (i don't think the degree of physicality - nor the presence of drink or smoke - makes any difference. And 2. the competition aspect (more points, highest score, etc.)

Which to me makes darts a no brainer (even with smoking and drinking) :) And poker a real judgement call on the fringe.

It also IMO disqualifies drumming... or at least it should.

Yes, I get we do flirt with music competitions... but the competition is never an inherent part of the activity of playing music. Unlike golf - lowest score. Baseball - highest score. Without pursuing the highest score, you really aren't playing baseball - balls, strikes, hits, runs.... everything is about racking up a score. There really is no equivalent to this while making music - not that's inherent. It may integral to the music competition - but music doesn't need that competition to exist. Playing music without competing is still... playing music.

Obviously I don't hold the WFD in high regard - :) (to say the least) :)

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I thought about NFL when I made the comment. Sure they're not, not is it desirable to be marathon runner thin. Neither extreme is healthy. I'll take a rower's body over a marathoner any day. (Where do I sign up). Cardiovascular fitness and strength are both independent of fat. We tend to make correlation that is true only for couch potatoes, not actual athletes. But being out of shape is definitely a liability in football, as is being overly fat. Overly fat varies from sport to sport. But there have been people cut because of their weight, and it can be an impediment getting down the field.

I'm not really a fan of football, and think concussion + coronavirus+ politics are all nails in the coffin of professional football, but they are athletes, no question.
By Alexa's definition, playing drums while reading music is a sport.
I was waiting for that. Drums are a sport to a degree, but it depends on a few things.
I'll say this, after my spinal fusion, I don't know where I'd be if not for drums. Drums are my Physical therapist.
As a sport it would be like calling Solitaire a competitive card game. I play against myself, almost like lifting weight, or jogging.
You can play drums drinking, and smoking though, so it's a stretch, especially for healthy people
I

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
The problem with golf and pool is that you start and stop, so there is no constant aerobics. It's not good exercise for the heart. Ace

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The problem with golf and pool is that you start and stop, so there is no constant aerobics. It's not good exercise for the heart. Ace
Very true, but the same can be can be said of all major sports. Football plays last an ave of 7 seconds.

Latest posts