Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats!! Oh, how I can't wait!

Squirrel Man

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats, I hope it brings you peace.

Keep busy with things, for you especially. My only advice from someone not too far behind you.

Peace, brother.

yetanotherdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Enjoy it! I retired at 62 back in 2019. I have not missed work one bit, and it is so nice to spend your time doing what you want to do.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congratulations. Quite the feat.
Take time.
Continue learning cool new skills.
Adventure each day.
And take care.

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mazel Tov

Wishing you strength and serenity in your work with those you care for.

And may all your musical endeavors be fulfilling and fabulous.

amosguy

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Retired early myself. Now I wonder how people who actually work for a living have time to do everything I plan for my day!

Know it will take some time to adjust, but in the end you will find enough "out of work" ways to keep busy.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats! I retired at 62 and started driving uber the day after, just to keep busy. Burned myself out on that (picking up over 9,000 people in 4 years), then COVID hit. I decided I didn't want to to that anymore and have taken up guitar and bass and basically am busier than over but I'm not working and enjoying myself. Everyday I'm exercising (between walking 3 hours or riding the bike). So it took my a few years to figure the whole "retirement" thing out. Now, I LOVE IT!

Looks like you'll keep busy which is the important thing. If I have one thing I can recommend, don't sit on the couch!
Cheers! You earned it.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Congratulations! I am totally jealous!!! I am planning out my own retirement and I figure I am about 5-6 years out. Taking care of your elderly mom and your brother are noble tasks and they are very lucky to have you. I know that you recently bought a full scale marimba, so that will keep you busy getting back into it. Take lessons for that constant input and it will keep your mind busy with learning new tasks. The bottom line is that you have worked very hard to get to this point, enjoy it, brother! God Bless! Rob

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the club! I retired in September of 2019 at age 67 and haven't regretted it for a single moment since. I wish you great patience and compassion for your family responsibilities, along with some "me time" so you can take a daily spin on your drums and/or that marimba I just read about.

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Welcome my friend. I retired at 58 for the same reason, I just could not run the same maze any longer knowing full well there were walls at the end where people half my age told me and my team to go. You reach a point where it's far too demanding on you mentally. I now take care of my 89 year old Dad with dialysis 3 times a week, medications, getting to doctors and doing my best to keep him in his home where he wants to be. I watch my 3 month old grandson and his older 2-1/2 year old brother 4 mornings a week and it's a handful at 61 years old. But, serving others is far more meaningful than I ever felt in working for a paycheck. Oh it's far more tiring too, but this is the character builder and journey that builds our hearts.

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Congrats! I retired at 62 and started driving uber the day after, just to keep busy. Burned myself out on that (picking up over 9,000 people in 4 years), then COVID hit. I decided I didn't want to to that anymore and have taken up guitar and bass and basically am busier than over but I'm not working and enjoying myself. Everyday I'm exercising (between walking 3 hours or riding the bike). So it took my a few years to figure the whole "retirement" thing out. Now, I LOVE IT!

Looks like you'll keep busy which is the important thing. If I have one thing I can recommend, don't sit on the couch!
Cheers! You earned it.
I UBERed for a minute out of boredom during this pandemic. What a scam that is. I found the only benefit between that and some low income job is the freedom to work when you want to.

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well folks, I've retired. Today was my last day. I couldn't take the job anymore. So I retired early, at the young age of 62. Wish me luck and happiness.

Now, all have to do is take care of my mother (89) and my mentally disabled brother (61).
Welcome my friend. I retired at 58 for the same reason, I just could not run the same maze any longer knowing full well there were walls at the end where people half my age told me and my team to go. You reach a point where it's far too demanding on you mentally. I now take care of my 89 year old Dad with dialysis 3 times a week, medications, getting to doctors and doing my best to keep him in his home where he wants to be. I watch my 3 month old grandson and his older 2-1/2 year old brother 4 mornings a week and it's a handful at 61 years old. But, serving others is far more meaningful than I ever felt in working for a paycheck. Oh it's far more tiring too, but this is the character builder and journey that builds our hearts.
Sounds to me like you’re both still working.

What’s it like being in the the older generation and still have a parent alive? I say this because I do martial arts with a guy who is 74 and slowly down in his own right, yet he’s taking care of his 95+ year old mother. It looks exhausting.

DavedrumsTX

Reaction score
Well folks, I've retired. Today was my last day. I couldn't take the job anymore. So I retired early, at the young age of 62. Wish me luck and happiness.

Now, all have to do is take care of my mother (89) and my mentally disabled brother (61).
Congratulations! I semi retired 2 years ago at 56 for the same reason. I moved from corporate to consulting and I am not looking back.

The biggest challenge was learning to relax and to pause and appreciate the little things.

in addition to strengthening personal relationships, I Successfully transitioned from traditional grip to match grip due to arthritis. My single stroke is the best it has ever been.

Enjoy your new life!

nmosko

Reaction score
I'm 33 and in my 9th year teaching English at Princeton High School in Princeton, WV. I hope to post that I'm retired in the next 30 years lol!!!

Congratulations on the career and best of luck in whatever you do!!!!!

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

Retirement just means that, now, you get to do what you really want to do. With a little luck you can get paid for it, too! Congratulations!

VintageUSA

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Great move.
I retired two years ago and I just wish I could have done it sooner.
Highly recommended......…..

SwivoNut

DFO Master
Reaction score
I retired at 62 back in '06. My biggest mistake was making myself too busy by starting up a new band and a new business endeavor. I only got out fishing in my boat once all year and was way busier than I wanted to be. I folded the band and the business when the economy tanked in '08. I joined up with a big band and now everything is just right. Enjoy your retirement - keep busy but don't overdo it. And keep physically active enough so you don't start growing leaves.