OT: I've retired!

JazzyJeff

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congratulations! Hope you find some time time for yourself and your drums while being a caregiver. I can’t even begin to imagine the weight that’s lifted to not have to work.
Best wishes to you and your family - enjoy!

CSR

Member since May 2000
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm 33 and in my 9th year teaching English at Princeton High School in Princeton, WV. I hope to post that I'm retired in the next 30 years lol!!!

Congratulations on the career and best of luck in whatever you do!!!!!
I’m a happily-retired high school English teacher/department chair/ head negotiator/ adjunct prof after 37 years of teaching. It seems like it will never come...then, it’s here. Enjoy every minute of your career.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am in awe of you guys who've managed to retire in your 50s. That just seems so...irresponsible? OK, maybe that's not the word! I'd really like to do it....

Piggpenn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Congrats.

Looking at 2 more years for me, if I can put up with grind like I am now. My job is Systems Administrator (1 man team "me") to handle 10 locations around the Midwest for a financial institution. Easy work for me and I control my time and projects. I'm mostly just working to keep a decent health insurance plan for my wife and myself.

Now I have to start looking into Medicare. Don't even mention AARP....lol

Getting old isn't for the weak.

Enjoy your new found freedom. You've earned it.

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
Congrats!
I retired in 2013 at 62.
Love it!
Retired from drumming,ie,bands,gigs etc.
in 2018!
Dont miss it!
Im the happiest when im the least responsible!

yetanotherdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sounds to me like you’re both still working.

What’s it like being in the the older generation and still have a parent alive? I say this because I do martial arts with a guy who is 74 and slowly down in his own right, yet he’s taking care of his 95+ year old mother. It looks exhausting.
My wife and I have been taking care of her Mom for well over 10 years, it started out as a few days a week, and then it became an everyday job.

Her health finally got to the point where she had to go to assisted living last year at 92. We just sold her house this month, so she has that money now to help with assisted living too.

It actually worked out well that I retired, there is no way my wife could have handled the last few years alone.

Now with her Mom somewhere where she can get the help she needs, and without the worry of her house and all that it entails, we have much more free time. Which is great!

k_50

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Congratulations :)
At 34, working an average wage job, I figure I have about 40 years to go before it's my time. So a career change or two might be in order to keep things interesting.

Downbeat

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congratulations!!! 4 years to go for me. Can’t wait!

Luddite

Mostly intentional comic relief
Reaction score
I’m happy for you, your stress level will hopefully decrease as you continue to care for your Mom and Brother. I retired a year ago at 60, I drive for a medical transportation company two days a week, a nice change after many years in a foundry. Dealing with my Mom and daughter moving over the next month, otherwise I stay as busy as I want to, which is an improvement!

David M Scott

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well folks, I've retired. Today was my last day. I couldn't take the job anymore. So I retired early, at the young age of 62. Wish me luck and happiness.

Now, all have to do is take care of my mother (89) and my mentally disabled brother (61).
Bless you ! Big,big responsibility but... please make arrangements so that you have some down time for yourself. Twenty four hour Caregiving can be rewarding but exhausting. I looked after my Bride through her two years of Cancer but her dear Sister came to stay 3 times for a month the last year of my Brides life and she was an angel and a godsend. It allowed me to continue to put on and play music for the other people in our Condo and that kept me right side up ! Don't quit playing ❤

m_anderson

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can definitely relate. I just turned 61 and trying to figure if I can afford to take the money and run next year. Have my 84 year old mother living with me. Best of luck to you!