OT - job app/interview questions

ppfd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wanted to get some opinions from the on line folks I trust that for the most part are not in my job field.

I'm a nurse (RN) by trade, took a job recently at a small rural hospital. What they call a critical access hospital. I work in what they call the "SCU" or special care unit. It is sort of like an ICU that most are familiar with, but it's not. We handle nothing more than giving blood or maybe a few IV drip medications. Everything else goes to the big city.

So I took this job in hopes to transfer to the ED (emergency dept). An opening came up and I applied with what I thought was in my 90 day probation period window. I had my 90 day evaluation and it was less than stellar. Make no mistake I take most the blame for the lack luster evaluation. I came from a hospital that used different equipment and procedures than this one. All hospitals operate different differently. I was put on my own in the 5 bed SCU while still in training, and had a few administration mistakes, no patient care issues, working nights I had no one to clarify questions to. My supervisor had no idea on some of my questions.
So to keep it short, in my evaluation I may or may not get the ED spot. Reasons: seniority which I respect, and now I may still be in the probation period. For my present position I am going on another 30 day work performance evaluation. Basically more training and if I don't pass this I will be terminated. There was a little double speak from my manager such as I will see what I can do, I know you want the ED to should I invest another month in you if your going to leave, etc.

So the questions- I need to get a game plan as I want ED work again and while I will do my damnedest not to get fired, this place is just not a good fit for me. I plan to start applying for jobs in the area in soon.
What all can my manager tell a prospective employer? I'm not in any sort of trouble, i.e., discipline issues, just another month of training. With that, I still am a little paranoid of what might be said.
My girlfriend says to not have any prospective employers not contact this present job/manager. I personally think that is shady, and would actually like to explain my situation in person to the interviewer.

Jazz Turkey

Reaction score
You asked, so here goes...
A job that is "not a good fit" is no excuse for poor performance. Neither is new equipment or different procedures. And if you applied with experience, it is reasonable for them to assume you can start in on the job right away.

I think you are on the right track looking for a situation that suits your interests.

I would only use references that you know for sure will give a stellar, 5 star review. When I call a reference, I only ask one question -" would you hire him again". If your current boss might say "no", do not use him as a reference on your resume (at least not yet, see below).

What can you do right now? Start being an over achiever, be early for work, work hard, smile, say hello to everyone individually when you get to work, say goodbye to everyone when you leave. Ask for help, especially if you think you don't need help.

This may not be your dream job, but you want to work it as if it is your dream job.

At your 30 day review, you want your boss to be so happy with your improved work, attitude, ...that you could use him as a reference.

That's a start for now, I hope it helps some, good luck with everything. Be thankful you have drums to relieve some work stress.

dtk

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing I'm curious about...if they gave you a bad review 1) did they give you any indication you weren't doing well during those 90 days? 2) once they gave you the bad review did they work with you on any plan to address your deficiencies? Did you know you were failing to meet there expectations?

I worked for a defense contractor once...in their telecom department...and had bosses change right before my review...the new one had expectations the old one didnt...anyway...he did help come up with a plan...which kept me employed long enough to find another job with less of a$$ for a boss

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Most likely, your supervisor is not going to respond to a call from another employer. Large organizations are scared to give specific answers about current or former employees (for fear of getting sued) by someone they talked dirt about.

With that said, there is kind of an HR shorthand ... If a prospective employer calls, they get a response like "Whoo boy, let me check the file," which means "Don't hire this person" and then they'll give the official line -- "I can confirm he has worked here from his start date and is a current employee."

Go to your next job interview and answer their questions and if they ask about your short tenure, just say, "I initiated this job move and see this opportunity as being much closer the how well I fitted into my job before this one. I'd love for you to speak to my references at that previous job."

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
When I was a supervisor in the billing dept of a large engineering corp. we were told we could not give any personal recomendations and could only say if the employee left in good standing or not. Since then I've had two new jobs which neither did I supply referals I only added at the bottom of my resume "Referals by request"...actually I might not even had that on there. I also re-wrote my resume based on an article titled "10 things to remove from your resume" things like Home address (no one is going to write you)

I did have one employer call me for a former employee that I wanted to give a good report on...the employer turned it around and asked if I'd give a personal reference and I said that I could do that so then she made all the questions hypothetical as if we were both on a bake sale team or something silly like that and I was able to get my point across then that they should hire and they did.

ppfd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks all
No I had no regular updates on my overall performance. I work nights and the manager is days. My preceptor is an older lady who I believe was placed in the position to "train" me when she didn't want to, again just a hunch.
I was called in for my 90 eval. and hit with all this. I've been a nurse 10 years on top of EMS, so patient care was not the issue.
One thing she brought up was my lack of knowledge on a "wound vac". A specialty piece of equipment and usually done by wound trained personnel. Being from the ED setting I know what they are but, had never used one. While on a night I was alone I had a patient with one and had no idea on the use and settings of this equipment. Of course being nights there was no one to ask. And I documented the potential issues in the chart. There was no problem to the patient as well.
I am being placed on a 30 day retraining and evaluation program as it stands with another preceptor.
I should have left well enough alone and stayed where I was in a setting I know and do good in. Reason I took this job was that they pay into the same state retirement system I am in now and it was a way to continue building on my present pension.

dixonfel

Reaction score
Make sure that you document yourself about this position. If you're serious about this, I'm sure that you'll get this! You have to know what you're looking for and what you have to offer. I've started to notice that there are lots of people who're feeling lost at the moment and that's completely understandable given the fact that we're going through a pandemic. You can actually check out https://jobsandcareer.tips/job-search-tips-for-finding-new-job/ and many sites where you'll be able to find help related to your issue. There's nothing in this world that's unfixable and you'll see that everything is going to work out perfectly

Last edited:

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make sure that you document yourself about this position. If you're serious about this, I'm sure that you'll get this!
The thread is about 2 years old, but it makes me wonder how this turned out.

CAMDRUMS

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My area is also desperate for nurses. If you had an RN and could walk, you’d be hired immediately.

ppfd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I forgot all about this, anyway.
The job I started this thread with I was placed on another 30 day orientation, retraining whatever you want to call it. I was placed with a miserable know it all nurse that always had an issue with everything I did. I knew I was doomed when she was going to "retrain" me. So at the end of the 30 days I was called in and told I was going to be fired. I really didn't say anything because at the point I didn't care anymore. I asked the manager if I could resign instead and she was fine with that.
I decided to take a few months off and bum around as I have a decent savings. I ended up going back to work for the county EMS agency I've been with for long time. I did that for a few months and got a job at a local hospital in the ED that was a regional trauma, cardiac and stroke center.
So about a year ago, I got an offer and took a job as a nurse in a female prison. by far the easiest nursing job I've ever had. And it pays the most I've ever made as well.

Honestly, short of a major screw up involving the state board, jobs are super easy to find. I finished up my bachelors in nursing last year as well.
With all this, I'm going to start travel nursing this spring. The money is insane right now for travel nursing. Toledo hospitals are paying $12,000 a week for a 4 week contract.

RogersLudwig

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The job I started this thread with I was placed on another 30 day orientation, retraining whatever you want to call it. I was placed with a miserable know it all nurse that always had an issue with everything I did. I knew I was doomed when she was going to "retrain" me. So at the end of the 30 days I was called in and told I was going to be fired. I really didn't say anything because at the point I didn't care anymore. I asked the manager if I could resign instead and she was fine with that.
I decided to take a few months off and bum around as I have a decent savings. I ended up going back to work for the county EMS agency I've been with for long time. I did that for a few months and got a job at a local hospital in the ED that was a regional trauma, cardiac and stroke center.
So about a year ago, I got an offer and took a job as a nurse in a female prison. by far the easiest nursing job I've ever had. And it pays the most I've ever made as well.

Honestly, short of a major screw up involving the state board, jobs are super easy to find. I finished up my bachelors in nursing last year as well.
With all this, I'm going to start travel nursing this spring. The money is insane right now for travel nursing. Toledo hospitals are paying $12,000 a week for a 4 week contract.
I'm glad to hear things are working for you. That is always a good thing!

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the update. There are a lot of threads where the outcome is left unknown. It's good to hear of a pleasant resolution and yeah, that's really good pay!

lamartee

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

From my limited knowledge about it,(have a family friend who does this) travel nursing seems to be the smart move as long as you are good with changing environments on a regular basis.

ppfd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah, I’m going to try something local first.
My daughter is grown and I don’t own a home so I’m pretty mobile

dsop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What all can my manager tell a prospective employer?
Not much. By law, they can only tell them what your position was, when you worked there, and how much you were paid. Nothing more, otherwise they can be in trouble legally.

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Not much. By law, they can only tell them what your position was, when you worked there, and how much you were paid. Nothing more, otherwise they can be in trouble legally.
That's not necessarily true. There's no federal laws in the US prohibiting what a former employer can or cannot say.

In many states, employers are given qualified immunity about what they state -- as long as the responses are in good faith, and not knowingly false, employers can be honest about previous employees.

That's not in all states, though -- New York and Massachusetts are two big ones that _don't_ give employers that immunity. There are also certain state-level requirements w/r/t how the information can be shared, who it can be shared with, and what is allowed to be shared.

So it really depends on where you live. Because of these complexities, some employers have switched to only providing the base level information above -- but that's not necessarily a requirement, nor can you always assume that to be true. I work in California and often am asked to give references for previous employees -- I'm honest and forthright about someone's performance, their reasons for leaving, and whether or not I'd hire them again. (as long as it's factual or opinions delivered in good faith)

Interestingly, California does NOT allow me to disclose how much they were paid.

dsop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yikes, I could swear that I was told that your employer couldn't say much at all! I better watch myself.... :)

el_37

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

$48,000 for a months worth of work? Holy............don't want to know how much a Radiologist is making then.....

esooy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Speaking as an employer, what @Jazz Turkey said x 10,000. But I would also add that saying someplace is not a good fit can be looked at two ways. Am I expecting this place to adjust to me, or am I going to work with and within the quirks and personality of a new workplace?

And yes travel nursing pay is insane, but the disparity of what hospitals are paying them vs the nurses who are already there disturbs me.