OT ... John Prine has passed ... dang

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Just got the word from the family ... John Prine has passed.

Here's a documentary my family worked on years ago ... John was a part of it ... along with Arlo, Kris, and a few others. It was a Steve Goodman piece.

Dang. I will miss John.

mebeatee

Reaction score
Sad to hear....one of the bestest ever!!!!
Years ago I played in an alt country band called the Precious Littles.....the song is called The Hard Way...as in learning. True to life and tongue in cheek quoting from the cd lyric sheet.....

I was calling to see if you got that demo tape of mine
Yes we heard it, but it's too much like John Prine
It's not who you are it's your address
I've just got to find out the hard way I guess

bt

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Reaction score
Just got the word from the family ... John Prine has passed.

Here's a documentary my family worked on years ago ... John was a part of it ... along with Arlo, Kris, and a few others. It was a Steve Goodman piece.

Dang. I will miss John.

And from what I heard John's health was starting to improve a bit too. Damn. An incredible songwriter, entertainer, and human being.
Stretch

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
One of America's great songwriters. I, too, had heard that he might beat this thing. Very sad.

p83

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
we have no complaints - we is what we is and we ain't what we ain't.........................

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
Standing by peaceful waters .

RIP old friend .

chollyred

Reaction score
Never was a fan of his as a performer, but a great writer. RIP Mr. Prine!

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Gutted.

After hearing of this last night, I lay awake in bed with Prine songs and lyrics swirling around in my head.
Couldn't sleep. All I could think about. Been a fan since '73.

I'd done some reading about the man recently since learning of his hospitalization last month. Many are aware he was once a mailman who began writing songs simply as a personal pastime but I was astonished to learn a few other interesting (to me) things:

He'd been active in gymnastics as a high-schooler and was quite good at it. Won ribbons. “Here was something I had no natural ability in, and I could do it well,” Prine said.

He reportedly kept a decorated Christmas tree in his home year 'round.

He was a lifelong fan of Archie comic books, even taking stacks of them on tour.

While John struggled early in his career, Chicago Sun-Times film critic Roger Ebert happened to hear him perform one night at a club and later wrote a positive review which led to sold-out rooms for Prine.

Soonafter, Prine’s friend and musical partner Steve Goodman convinced Kris Kristofferson and Paul Anka to drop by to see Prine play at the Earl of Old Town in the summer of 1971.
“It was too damned late, and we had an early wake-up ahead of us, and by the time we got there, Old Town was nothing but empty streets and dark windows,” Kristofferson states “And the club was closing. But the owner let us come in, pulled some chairs off a couple of tables, and John unpacked his guitar and got back up to sing. … By the end of the first line we knew we were hearing something else. It must’ve been like stumbling onto Dylan when he first busted onto the Village scene.”

At one period, Paul Anka was his manager.

Kristofferson invited Prine onstage at New York’s legendary Bitter End. The next day, Atlantic Records President Jerry Wexler offered Prine a $25,000 deal with the label. With Anka serving as his manager, Prine cut the majority of his self-titled album at American Sound in Memphis, with the studio’s house band.

The last track on his final album is entitled "When I get To Heaven"

John Prine taught me more about the human condition than any psychology course.

This one really hurts.

TPC

Reaction score
RIP

Very long time fan. Saw him last year in SF. While he looked sick and beleaguered, he still had it. He played and sang great. What a tremendous wit he had.