OT: Kiss From A Rose - What Makes This Song Great?

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll chime in since no one else has. My opinion:
Seal is an awesome musician!
Great song with great harmonies. I wouldn't call it the "best" pop song because calling anything the best is really subjective. Lots of great "best" songs out there from many artists in all genres!

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Seal's voice is like maple syrup...sweet and smooth. If Seal and Sade had a kid, the voice of that child would bring crowds to org... I mean, to their knees.
I don't know about the best, but great tune for sure .

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
My problem with it is that when it came out, they played it to death! I couldn't change the radio without hearing it and it got old really fast. I know it's great but it was beaten to death back in the day. maybe a fresh listen and watching this video will help.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I liked the other one " Never Survive Unless We Get a Little Crazy"

or is that the same song? could be within a trilogy or something.

We used to (who didn't?) wake up in the morning and it'd still be looping in the cassette player at Volume 11...

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I liked the other one " Never Survive Unless We Get a Little Crazy"

or is that the same song? could be within a trilogy or something
Yeah that song is called “Crazy.” Has a groovy beat.

cornelius

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I didn’t watch the video you posted but did you guys know that Harvey Mason played drums on that track? Kind of cool
I knew he was on the album but didn't realize he played that particular track. A lot of great drummers on that album, hard to tell who played on what...

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I knew he was on the album but didn't realize he played that particular track. A lot of great drummers on that album, hard to tell who played on what...
Just checked out the Wikipedia for that album, it looks like a lot of people played on there. Jeff Beck and Andy Newmark. The only other name I recognize is Charlie Drayton but I’m not familiar with any of his work (I think). I’m gonna check out that album now.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Certainly a well crafted tune, Beato commented several times about 'how they don't do this in pop songs today.." which kind of caught me off guard and I wanted to somewhat contest the notion.
Then I realized the release date 1994 and I could see where he was coming from. I will say for my listening, the song sounds as fresh today as when it was released 25+ years ago!!!

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well ...... have to admit that I'd forgotten all about that terrific song ....... Thanks for posting!

In addition to remembering how much I dug the tune at the time (I'm admittedly a classical music geek), I have to say that my appreciation for Mr Beato and his analyses got ratcheted up several more notches. The guy has such a command of the musical idiom; the structure, both rhythmic and harmonic, the ability to play piano and guitar well enough to finely demonstrate the voicings and shadings ...... whew! And the facetime call to Seal right in the middle ...... brilliant! Not to mention his skill at manipulating ProTools (or whatever) AND getting hold of the tracks in the first place ...... and his obvious enthusiasm!

And here's a funny story: the song grabs me and yanks me back to a conflicted and very busy time in my worklife. I was in London over the winter of '95 -96, working long hours on a film crew. Not that many fond memories of that job ...... but I would hear this song over and over on the rental car radio driving around on my precious days off. I mean ..... "played to death" would be an apt description ...... except that all the nuance that Rick so expertly outlines make it worth listening to ....... "over and over". And here's the funny twist: one of the few things to look forward to on that movie set was the presence of a very young British gal ....... named, of course ...... Rose ...... ! Truly lovely - and young enough to be my daughter (and me a married man!) ....... ! She was the darling of the set, for sure ....... and a guy can dream, eh?

The song always made me think of ....... Rose ........

Mike