OT: Knee replacement surgery tomorrow

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
So it looks like I'll be out of commission for 4 to 6 weeks because of a knee replacement (right knee). This is actually a replacement of a previous replacement from 4 years ago, that didn't go so well. My mistake the first time was not doing my homework with regard to the surgeon. I let the orthopedic registration lady tell me, "your surgeon will be Dr. *****". Turns out he didn't have a good track record and I was stupid enough to not check any feedback about him.

Consequently, because of my lack of due diligence, I have paid the price for the past four years. My range of motion is no where near what it should be (I'm at about 75%) and quite often I am still in pain. It's very hard walking up and down stairs, or even getting in and out of my truck.

This time I'm having it done in Rochester, rather than the hospital close to home AND I did my homework. When I called to make the initial appointment, the first thing I asked was "who is your best guy"? Even though they really aren't suppose to favor one Dr. over another, out of about 18 or so Doctors in the group, this particular persons name came up more than once. I also check every bit of feedback I could find on the guy and it was all good, so I feel confidant things will go well this time around.

If I can offer advice to those looking at any kind of procedure, please don't do a Bob and do your own due diligence, to see what other people are saying about the surgeon you plan on using.

Wish me luck.
Good luck my man!

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Oh man, I feel for you. Severe leg problems are truly my greatest fear. Hope your recovery is ideal, and I hope the meds they give you are good, but not too good. Long ago, I was one refill away from Vicodin possibly becoming a permanent part of my life. Man, that stuff was great.

pgm554

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Had an uncle get both knees done back in the day.
When they replaced them the doctors marveled as to how he withstood the pain all those years as he had no cartridge left in either one.
Pretty much a generic thing as his son has the same issue.

komodobob

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I got home Wednesday afternoon and spent the last day and half sleeping a lot. I think that's because of the pain killers. They had me walking the same day of my surgery, which i guess is imperative. My wife got me up and about today. We went to the credit union and P.O. Man it seemed good to get outside and around.

The therapist came for visit one yesterday and says he plans on pushing to get that range of motion that I've been hoping for ASAP. And the Dr. says, with any luck, I'll be driving in three weeks. If I'm real lucky, I'll be back to playing in four weeks.

Spongebob

DFO Master
Reaction score
If this one doesn't go as planned, you still have your dashingly handsome good looks.

Break a leg!

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
Well I got home Wednesday afternoon and spent the last day and half sleeping a lot. I think that's because of the pain killers. They had me walking the same day of my surgery, which i guess is imperative. My wife got me up and about today. We went to the credit union and P.O. Man it seemed good to get outside and around.

The therapist came for visit one yesterday and says he plans on pushing to get that range of motion that I've been hoping for ASAP. And the Dr. says, with any luck, I'll be driving in three weeks. If I'm real lucky, I'll be back to playing in four weeks.
Sounds like it went well. If you have healthy kidneys, whey protein will help accelerate the healing process. I would recommend organic whey protein concentrate. Good luck in your recovery!