OT - Learning a second language in your sixties.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've decided to do something productive with my idle time. I signed on to "Babble" a couple of days ago to learn a second language. I decided to start with Spanish, if this goes well I will then l likely continue with French later.

The more time that you sign up for, the cheaper it is. I decided to start with three months of lessons, which cost $30, which is much more reasonable than I expected. I am on my third day of lessons. So far, so good. (I think that I've learned more in the past three days than I did with two full years of high school Spanish lessons.)

I regret that I didn't start this at the start of the pandemic. Learning a second (and third...) language is something that I've always wanted to do. I have several friends who are Spanish speaking and several who speak French, I should be able to practice once I get further along.

I'm sure that we have our share of bilingual people in the DFO community. Have any of you started down this road later in life?

Last edited:

Squirrel Man

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something I thought about for a while but decided to get back into drumming, that's been my outside of work big life's project and I have to focus on that now. One can only do so many things and I envy you a little.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dig it!!!! I have been trying to learn Yiddish, but not many relatives left who actually speak it!!! LOL
Funny, I was talking to one of my best friends, I told him what I was up to. He said that he is interested in learning Yiddish. I just got off of the phone with him ten minutes ago.

avedisschwinn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have been studying Spanish for almost a year, using a tutor, Duolingo, and Memrise. Also, check out The Spanish Guy on YouTube. It is very slow going for me, I'm 68 and I figure another three years to be conversational

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will check out you tube. Once I'm a little further along I intend on watching some Spanish language television to submerse myself a bit. I think that it will help to hear the language spoken as much as I can by native speakers

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I learned to speak Thai through some lessons but for me the advances came when I dared speak with native speakers and learned the nuances of tone, rhythm and phrasing as actually spoken in the street. I am these days quite fluent and can even read the very different "alphabet". Good luck with the learning curve.

Chopsnbops

Reaction score
The drums in Latin music are always so much fun to listen and play along to. I really wish I knew what they were saying because I’ve got maybe 2 hours worth of a playlist in a language I can’t even understand

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
Good for you! Many years ago I started to learn Gaelic, but gave up when I realized there would be no one to converse with.

Then, 12 years ago I met my current girlfriend, who is Chinese, and started to learn Mandarin. Then, a few years later I had a stroke. That affected my memory and I gave up on it.

I'm 62 now and still sure would like to learn Mandarin.

Last edited:

ian.thomas

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have family in South Africa, so I've always wanted to learn Afrikaans. But I don't know anyone in Dallas that speaks it, except for one person that's about to go back to SA, so I don't think it would be useful to learn.

I really need to learn Spanish.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I lived in south Florida from 1979 until 1991 and in the Washington DC area from 2003 until 2010. Both times I worked with a lot of people who were bilingual and developed a lot of friendships. I regret that I did not learn other languages then. Admittedly we didn't have current technology to help learning back in the 1980s. In the early 2000s I was working 12-16 hour days, so I didn't have the time. I believe that learning a second language back then could/would have opened up new worlds.

I hope to return to my part time job bartending soon. Even then, it will only be a couple of days a week, so I have the time to devote to this. A few other employees, and a lot of customers are bilingual or trilingual. For the third time in my life I've developed friendships with a good many people who speak multiple languages. This time I have a chance to finally learn in an environment where I have both the time, and the opportunity to use it. I'm out of excuses.

Last edited:

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good for you! Many years ago I started to learn Gaelic, but gave up when I realized there would be no one to converse with.

Then, 12 years ago I met my current girlfriend, who is Chinese, and started to learn Mandarin. Then, a few years later I had a stroke. That affected my memory and I gave up on it.

I'm 62 now and still sure would like to learn Mandarin.
I had a major stroke thirteen years ago, I certainly understand the memory issues. I've found that pushing myself to learn different things has been the best way to help my memory. That is another reason that I've decided to do this now. I need to fill idle time with something productive. I'll turn 62 the first week of May.