OT: LEAST favorite Christmas song!

Chonson

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
+1 on Christmas Shoes. Absolutely the worst by a mile. Nothing even compares to this.

Behind that: Last Christmas (any version, thought Wham's almost -- but not quite -- has made the circuit to land into cheesy and campy fun); Madonna's version of Santa Baby (I enjoy Eartha Kitt's); everything I've heard from Michael Buble; Baby It's Cold Outside (all versions).

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
HAHA Christmas Shoes is the most depressing song ever.

The reason I hate Springsteen's version of SCICTT is because he turns it into a two-note melody. Basically
HUUUUUUH
and a little higher HEHHHHHHH

thenuge

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Smooth jazz covers of any of them, but particularly 'River'. The irony of that song is it was never meant to be a Christmas song and actually is kind of dark and depressing.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
I personally think that Christmas Shoes would be a contender for the worst song of all time but we are focused on bad Christmas songs so I will leave it at that.

chicagojzz

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
+40 on "Simply Having a Wonderful Christmastime." Rather than creating a sense of joy and celebration, it has the effect of generating a unique kind of hatred for all mankind (or at least, for everyone involved in its production) every time it's played.

Way Out Wardell

Reaction score
Oh I stand corrected...Christmas Shoes is the clear winner.
Anyone heard Patton Oswalt's analysis of it? It's on YouTube, NSFW but hilarious!

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Mine's pretty easy--Little Drummer Boy. For obvious reasons, I'm sure many--if not most--of us here are tired of it. However, regarding Christmas songs in general, I've had to come to terms w/them, due to the fact that I've had an unusually high number of family members that seem to pass away shortly before, or just after Christmas. In fact, I had an uncle who had his actual funeral right on Christmas Eve (very weird juxtaposition of feelings). Now, I KNOW we're gonna get crushed w/these songs from pretty much Nov 1st till after New Years Day, so I had to make a decision: either continue to hate it w/no hope of changing things, or try to accept the fact that I have no control over when a loved one dies, so I may as well not let it continue to ruin the Christmas season.

Yes, sometimes I just have to grin & bear it, but, the older I get, the more I find myself starting to actually enjoy the Christmas songs again, after so many years of grief and bad news always seeming to coincide w/Christmas music, and having all of those painful memories brought up again.

dje31

Reaction score
ANYTHING by Mannheim Steamroller and / or Trans-Siberian Orchestra, Christmas or not. HORRIBLE! Cheesy, modernized, rocked-up ( though I'd replace the "ro" with "fu" ) , trying to breathe new life into classics. Barf.

Horrible synth tones, overwrought performances, trying way too hard, etc. Like the worst of progressive rock...and I typically love progressive rock!

I'd rather pull out my own toenails with needle nose pliers than listen to that dreck.

But then I hate modern Christian rock, too. If I'm at church, I want to hear the organ, strings, horns, piano...not rock 'n' roll. I've got my entire CD collection on my phone if I want to hear rock.

< Rant off >

Ickybaby

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't know the name of it but that depressing song that goes throughout the Charlie Brown Christmas cartoon. Also "The Christmas Song"... you know, "chestnuts roasting etc..." Yech! But I'm sick of all of them. The big band I'm in had a pretty major concert (well for us anyway) last week at a college. We'd been practicing Christmas music for months preparing for that. VERY glad it's over.

dwdave

Groovinator
Reaction score
#1 worst is that horrible song from Paul McCartney.

#1 best "I want and Alien for Christmas" by Fountains of Wayne"

dwdave

Groovinator
Reaction score
chicagojzz said:
+40 on "Simply Having a Wonderful Christmastime." Rather than creating a sense of joy and celebration, it has the effect of generating a unique kind of hatred for all mankind (or at least, for everyone involved in its production) every time it's played.
This.