OT-Lisbon Portugal

mfry2112

DFO Star
Reaction score
Have any of you ever been? I’ve found round trip airfare as low as $700 round trip out of Pittsburgh with 1 layover in Philly. Really nice B&B type rentals on Vrbo in the $75 a night range and many tours on the cheap. the scenery and food look amazing. I’ve spent way more on vacations in the states and this would probably be way more rewarding!

MustangMick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Love city to visit, plenty to see and do. (Especially the Pasteis de Nata - Portugese Custard tarts)
Cascais and Estoril resorts are just a short train ride away.
For F1 fans Estoril Circuit was where Ayrton Senna had his first F1 win

Hope to be back soon
Mick

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Book it now. Don’t wait for an “all clear” (ie. 2023) because the spots you want to visit will be overwhelmed with travelers. Portugal is definitely on list for food alone (and affordability).

JimmySticks

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks! This looks like a must do when the pandemic lightens up
I think the prices are so cheap because of the pandemic, so when this thing finally lightens up, prices will rise to.

I spent a few days in Portugal, but funny enough, I never got to Lisbon! Good food, a lot to see and nice people though.

2000dan2000

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
not been to Lisbon but spent some time in the Algarve… beautiful place, very reminiscent of the Southern California coast as far as climate and topography… the food, and wine, is incredible!

toddbishop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I haven't been, but lots of friends have, they all say it's great. As soon as omicron finishes doing its thing, I'm booking tickets for Rome, Berlin, Paris, Nice, some damn place.

You should be able to get to Europe cheaper than that from the east coast-- I use skyscanner.com.

richardh253

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
We did one of the Rick Steves Portugal trips in summer 2019 and highly recommend (both that tour and the country in general). Portugal is on the poorer end of the E.U. continuum but has remarkable culture, beautiful country, hospitable people. Be sure to try and visit a cork farm, and catch Fado music. We loved Coimbra, Evora and Nazare (we skipped the surfing but youtube is plenty for us). check if the Porto Drum Show is running. We had just missed it in 2019.

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
We did one of the Rick Steves Portugal trips in summer 2019 and highly recommend (both that tour and the country in general). Portugal is on the poorer end of the E.U. continuum but has remarkable culture, beautiful country, hospitable people. Be sure to try and visit a cork farm, and catch Fado music. We loved Coimbra, Evora and Nazare (we skipped the surfing but youtube is plenty for us). check if the Porto Drum Show is running. We had just missed it in 2019.

I was thinking about doing a Rick Steves tour last year but the last I checked they were all canceled. I was thinking about doing one of his Europe ones. I’ve seen some of his shows on KPBS and it seems like his tours are the way to go.

richardh253

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about doing a Rick Steves tour last year but the last I checked they were all canceled. I was thinking about doing one of his Europe ones. I’ve seen some of his shows on KPBS and it seems like his tours are the way to go.
Yes like everyone else RS company had to cancel everythin in 2020 and 2021. They had been booking 2022 don't know if they are still doing that since omicron popped up. You can see lots of videos on his website of where they go. We have done 3 or 4 RS tours, we like the people they attract, who want to get off the bus and meet the people, not watch a country thru a bus window. Sometimes you have to carry your luggage up a few flights, and occasionally the hotels are a bit funky, but it's a great experience. We LOVE that thay have a "No crabbiness" policy - when you sign up, you know what your signing up for. Some days you do a LOT of walking. RS motto is "Travellers, not tourists." Definitley check them out!

shilohjim

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My parents dragged me to all kinds of places when I was a kid, and this was one of many (I was 12 or 13). I couldn't wait to get back home. This is why I travel no further west than Pittsburgh and no further south than Maryland these days. I did enjoy Yosemite though.

Swissward Flamtacles

Reaction score
Portugal has one of the highest vaccination rates in the world, so it's doing pretty well despite high infection numbers. I believe that they were able to avoid curfews, so it shouldn't be a boring trip.
It's a great country with beautiful architecture, landscape and language. I prefer Porto, but I'd certainly travel to Lisbon, too. :)

Cann_Man28

Reaction score
I went in 2013 to Lisbon and Porto. It was a great trip. Porto was a must see. Amazing scenery, future, food, wine. Even caught a show at the Music House.

mfry2112

DFO Star
Reaction score
In 2018 when we went to Munich Innsbruck and Milan I watched a lot of Rick Steves videos on YouTube, very helpful. We rented a car and did everything ourselves it was very worthwhile, I just couldn’t see being stuck on a bus or a train. If I saw something that I wanted to take a picture of I pulled over and took a picture of it.

richardh253

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
In 2018 when we went to Munich Innsbruck and Milan I watched a lot of Rick Steves videos on YouTube, very helpful. We rented a car and did everything ourselves it was very worthwhile, I just couldn’t see being stuck on a bus or a train. If I saw something that I wanted to take a picture of I pulled over and took a picture of it.
you can do great self-tours using the Rick Steves guidebooks!