header.nohb.html

OT - Mac Virus

Bobby

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2005
Messages
499
Reaction score
7
Location
CT
I've been a mac user for a few years. I truely love it. I found it quicker, easier to use and safer than a PC. Awhile back I read that hackers were beginning to target macs now that macs were becoming more popular. Well, I got my first virus on my mac. I'm by no means a computer guru, but the best I can figure it's some sort of trojan horse that redirects the DNS. Eventually I get to where I'm going on my browser, but I can "see" theres stuff running in the backround messing with the OS (Tiger 10.4). I did a search yesterday for a spyware removal progran and found macscan. I ran it twice it found a couple little files, but my issue is still there. Apple seems to be in denial stating "that desnt happen on a mac". Kind of an arrogant response I think. I may not be a coputer expert, but it's pretty obvious that I have a malicious worm oof some sort. Does anyone know of a program, for mac, that will indentify the trojan and effectively remove it? Any help is appreciated.
 

reidjazz

Very well Known Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2007
Messages
1,045
Reaction score
4
Location
5,280 feet.
Norton Anti-Virus...this software should clear up the problem you're having.
 

Coelacanth

DFO Star
Joined
Jul 21, 2007
Messages
11,126
Reaction score
41
Location
Alberta, Canada
Bobby said:
I've been a mac user for a few years. I truely love it. I found it quicker, easier to use and safer than a PC. Awhile back I read that hackers were beginning to target macs now that macs were becoming more popular. Well, I got my first virus on my mac. I'm by no means a computer guru, but the best I can figure it's some sort of trojan horse that redirects the DNS. Eventually I get to where I'm going on my browser, but I can "see" theres stuff running in the backround messing with the OS (Tiger 10.4). I did a search yesterday for a spyware removal progran and found macscan. I ran it twice it found a couple little files, but my issue is still there. Apple seems to be in denial stating "that desnt happen on a mac". Kind of an arrogant response I think. I may not be a coputer expert, but it's pretty obvious that I have a malicious worm oof some sort. Does anyone know of a program, for mac, that will indentify the trojan and effectively remove it? Any help is appreciated.

Any kind of third-party antivirus program; I like Avast! Antivirus for the PC, and they make a Mac version too; for the PC (and I assume for the Mac too) it's completely free, all you have to do is register with a valid email address. They don't spam you.

http://www.avast.com/eng/programs.html

Since Mac users have long been basically doing the equivalent of running around having unprotected sex with everyone for years now, under the false assumption that "viruses don't happen on Macs", I'm interested to see how hard this hits the Mac community. ;) If it blows up huge, I predicted it bang-on. ;)

WELCOME BACK, MAC...YOU'VE ARRIVED!! 8)
 

rudie

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 3, 2006
Messages
204
Reaction score
0
http://www.macworld....article/60823/2 ... horse.html

Once again a 2 second google search comes to save the day

:notworthy:

Quote
Since Mac users have long been basically doing the equivalent of running around having unprotected sex


Well if you didn't look at porn,other dubious sites, and opened pen1s enlargement emails you normally wouldn't get viruses. :lol:
 

High on Stress

DFO Veteran
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
2,426
Reaction score
1,096
Location
MPLS
rudie said:
Well if you didn't look at porn,other dubious sites, and opened pen1s enlargement emails you normally wouldn't get viruses. :lol:


What else are you supposed to do with a computer?
 

Coelacanth

DFO Star
Joined
Jul 21, 2007
Messages
11,126
Reaction score
41
Location
Alberta, Canada
High on Stress said:
rudie said:
Well if you didn't look at porn,other dubious sites, and opened pen1s enlargement emails you normally wouldn't get viruses. :lol:


What else are you supposed to do with a computer?
Why do you think I have so much security software installed, a router, locked down services...? :shock: :D
 

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Joined
Aug 5, 2005
Messages
8,751
Reaction score
1,479
Location
Phoenix, AZ
You should get a PC! :wink: These things have been attacked since pretty much day one so we've got the anti-virus thing pretty down pat--get a virus, get the anti-virus update, remove virus, then repeat. Sorry I couldn't help myself since the first thing a lot of mac owners (not all mind you) recommend is getting a mac whenever someone has an issue with a PC.
 

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Joined
Aug 5, 2005
Messages
14,631
Reaction score
3,933
Location
North of Austin, Texas
It was bound to happen... all the commercials just egg on these idiots that have no life and want to ruin others lives... Hope you get it cleaned up.
 

eddiej

DFO Master
Joined
Aug 17, 2005
Messages
3,238
Reaction score
79
Location
Lower Makefield, PA
I also use AVG free. If they have a Mac version, I would recommend it highly.

I'm not surprized with Apple's position on viruses infecting Macs (I wonder if they actually believe their own not true).

I've been saying for several years that there is no such thing as an OS that can't be compromised.
 

Coelacanth

DFO Star
Joined
Jul 21, 2007
Messages
11,126
Reaction score
41
Location
Alberta, Canada
eddiej said:
I've been saying for several years that there is no such thing as an OS that can't be compromised.
No sh!t. The absolute WORST thing you can do, is make claims such as Mac and Mac users everywhere, "Macs don't GET viruses!". It's an open invitation to the virus writers and varied and sundry miscreants everywhere. It's like shouting to the neighborhood, "Nobody can break into MY house!" Good lord...well, it finally happened (actually in late 2007) and it's gonna happen a lot more, the more popular Macs become.

So everyone with a Mac, find a decent antivirus program, and probably a good spyware removal tool, too. Welcome to the world of preventative maintenance. ;)
 

dcrigger

DFO Star
Joined
Aug 5, 2005
Messages
6,701
Reaction score
5,555
Location
California
Coelacanth said:
So everyone with a Mac, find a decent antivirus program, and probably a good spyware removal tool, too. Welcome to the world of preventative maintenance. ;)

Or not.

First off... a little checking into how big a problem are we dealing with... here's a Mac Virus timeline by Sophos (and they're trying to be scary - they sell protection)

http://www.sophos.co...essoffice/news/ ... xleap.html

Wow, in the past two years there has been a small handful of threats - and all most all of those could be avoided by not typing your admin password to install software, unless you know you really want to install it and you know who you are installing it from.

But drawing comparisons to what XP users have had to deal with the past 10 years is really a stretch.

dc
 

Donn

Very well Known Member
Joined
Oct 15, 2007
Messages
1,177
Reaction score
22
Location
Michigan
Tip of the iceberg. Any technology that becomes deeply entrenched in our daily lives will be subject to hackers. As for the Apple's illusion of immunity, the iPhone was hacked in no time. Once by an 11 year old. I'm not anti-Apple (I have both PCs and Macs in my house) but the usual gloating from the Macaphiles is tiresome. It's just a computer.

I've been working with PC's for years and I do a lot of work via the Internet and I have yet to pick up a virus. Some spam filters, a firewall, a decent anti-virus program and some common sense do wonders to keep your machine virus free.

Or you could leave the damn thing turned off and read a book. :wink:
 

dcrigger

DFO Star
Joined
Aug 5, 2005
Messages
6,701
Reaction score
5,555
Location
California
Donn said:
Tip of the iceberg. Any technology that becomes deeply entrenched in our daily lives will be subject to hackers. As for the Apple's illusion of immunity, the iPhone was hacked in no time. Once by an 11 year old. I'm not anti-Apple (I have both PCs and Macs in my house) but the usual gloating from the Macaphiles is tiresome. It's just a computer.

I've been working with PC's for years and I do a lot of work via the Internet and I have yet to pick up a virus. Some spam filters, a firewall, a decent anti-virus program and some common sense do wonders to keep your machine virus free.

Or you could leave the damn thing turned off and read a book. :wink:



What gloating? Each platform has its advantages and disadvantages. And on this issue, the Mac has a simple "right out the box" advantage. The average mac user will spend less time, money and resources futzing with security, while stilling being safer from intrusion than their PC counterpart.

It not the only advantage to the platform and the platform has its disadvantages as well. These things just are... they are known facts... known pros and cons. I don't see how pointing them out is gloating... it's not personal. It's just a part of weighing the pros and cons of deciding which platform is a better fit with the needs of each user.

dc
 

Coelacanth

DFO Star
Joined
Jul 21, 2007
Messages
11,126
Reaction score
41
Location
Alberta, Canada
I agree with you DC, but is the reason for the Mac's added "safety & security" because it's a Mac and programmed better, or because the Mac community isn't a big enough dot on the radar for the malware miscreants to bother with? By definition, a virus' main purpose is to spread and infect as many hosts as possible. Since that's a virus writer's goal, why bother with the Mac community?

The purpose of spyware is to gain personal info from infected computers. If one wants to gain as much personal info from the unsuspecting public as possible, why bother with a tiny niche? Same with adware. It's purpose is to get you to visit unsolicited websites, maybe those sites get paid per hit or click. Why code adware to affect a tiny demographic and thus relatively low potential for profit?

If Macs were 50% of the market or more, Mac users would be in the same boat as PC users are. Trust me. It was exactly that way in the 80's. The Mac OS is no more secure than Windows XP/Vista, it's just not a worthwhile target (at this time).
 

Scottlogsdon

Very well Known Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2007
Messages
1,233
Reaction score
10
The bottom line is that all computer users connected to the internet should have a virus program.

I've been using Intego's VirusBarrier X on my Macs for the past 3 years. It hasn't flagged a single virus in all that time, but it's there if I need it.
 

Donn

Very well Known Member
Joined
Oct 15, 2007
Messages
1,177
Reaction score
22
Location
Michigan
dcrigger said:
Donn said:
Tip of the iceberg. Any technology that becomes deeply entrenched in our daily lives will be subject to hackers. As for the Apple's illusion of immunity, the iPhone was hacked in no time. Once by an 11 year old. I'm not anti-Apple (I have both PCs and Macs in my house) but the usual gloating from the Macaphiles is tiresome. It's just a computer.

I've been working with PC's for years and I do a lot of work via the Internet and I have yet to pick up a virus. Some spam filters, a firewall, a decent anti-virus program and some common sense do wonders to keep your machine virus free.

Or you could leave the damn thing turned off and read a book. :wink:



What gloating? Each platform has its advantages and disadvantages. And on this issue, the Mac has a simple "right out the box" advantage. The average mac user will spend less time, money and resources futzing with security, while stilling being safer from intrusion than their PC counterpart.

It not the only advantage to the platform and the platform has its disadvantages as well. These things just are... they are known facts... known pros and cons. I don't see how pointing them out is gloating... it's not personal. It's just a part of weighing the pros and cons of deciding which platform is a better fit with the needs of each user.

dc


Sorry DC, the gloating comment wasn't directed at you at all. However I've endured plenty of sophomoric "Macs Rule/PC's Sux" rhetoric from people who relate to their computers way too much. Starting with my nitwit brother.

I use PC's because of the applications I use and because I've so far had no real reason to look for an alternative. My daughter has an iBook and it's fun to use but not worth the premium price to me. When my notebook finally wears out I'll look at a Mac but I don't do anything on a computer that a Mac will do any better than a PC.
 

GCG199

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2005
Messages
218
Reaction score
0
Location
Manchester, NH
If the Operating System doesn't matter, you should also consider looking into Linux. It is getting easier to use and install for general desktop use. It is a good way to recycle older computer hardware that can't support Windows anymore too.

Do a search for Ubuntu, as it is the most popular Linux distribution available right now and has the most support available via online searches, blogs and forums. (There are hundreds of different distributions available too.)

It is a great way to save money when it comes to computers, but you have to be willing to do the research for it as there are certain hardware issues that you may run into.
 

Bobby

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2005
Messages
499
Reaction score
7
Location
CT
Thanks to those who responded with potentional solutions for my issue. Sorry it turned into a mac vs. pc thread. A program, Virus Barrier, seemed to fix alot of the issue. Talking to Apple support wasnt alot of help, they are in denial that "these things dont happen on a mac". Pretty arrogant response I think. I spoke to several IT professionals who agree that mac's are far less prone to viruses, however they can HOST viruses and therefore spread them to PC's. In short I was told every mac user should use virus protection, if not for themselves, for the good of the internet community. Makes sense to me.
 


Top