OT ... MAD Mort Drucker has passed

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That man was a great artist - loved his stuff when I was a kid reading Mad magazine.

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
His obituary got me walking down memory lane last night, looking up all the writers and artists I could remember from the Usual Gang of Idiots. So many of them are gone now, but I was heartened to read there are a handful of them still with us. Among them are Sergio Aragones, Frank Jacobs and Al Jaffee, who did the Fold Ins. Bless him, he turns 99 this year. I revere all of those men.

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
So Tonto and The Lone Ranger are surrounded by hostile indians. The Lone Ranger says, "well Tonto, looks like this is our last stand." Tonto says, "what do you mean WE....white man?" My funniest memory of Mad Magazine. Ace

Last edited:

kdgrissom

Reaction score
I used to get "Boys Life", Schwinn catalogs and Mad Magazine as a kid in the 60's.
Mad got read the most. Loved "Spy vs Spy" by Cuban ex-pat Antonio Prohias, who signed his name in Morse code in the strip.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
He and Jack Davis were my two favorites, whether in Mad or album covers or wherever (Davis in particular had his work used in many places besides Mad). Very sad that they are both gone now.

Mad was my favorite...right up until I discovered National Lampoon at right around the age of 14.

pgm554

Reaction score
I've got to stop smoking ,my doctor has said,or else when I'm seven ,I'm sure to be dead.

bellbrass

DFO Star
Reaction score
I loved MAD magazine, even though it was prohibited contraband by Rule of Law (my mother). She thought it was "tacky and filthy". That made me like it even more....
Don Martin's stuff cracked me up, but Mort ran the show. His satirical send-ups were what put the magazine on newsstands. RIP, funny man.

Latest posts