OT: Matchbox or Hot Wheels

Squirrel Man

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Matchbox hands down.

Mini ha ha, the ruler of my Matchbox competitive collection.

Funny you bring this up, I was just thinking about Matchbox in the shower this morning where a lot of glories of life occur. And still will.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hot Wheels. I always thought Matchbox was the cheap knockoff. But what did I know? I was 5.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have maybe 100+ Hot Wheels and maybe 20+ Matchbox. Also other mini cars - ranging from 3" - 10". Mostly Ferrari, Lambo, and Porsche 911's. When I was a kid, I'd buy them, strip the paint down and redo them swapping wheels/etc., repainting them and adding spoilers. Plan was to be a 911 designer but didn't pan out. Hot Wheels is classic but I always liked the foreign models by M.B. and always felt M.B. had a bit better build quality.

What I love doing is gifting people their exact car. I've given coworkers a black Vette, a black Tesla, a vintage burgundy Stingray (was green, but I repainted using nail polish), gave my kid's 4th grade teacher a blue/gray Toyota FJ (the larger brand of 3-4" cars you find at Rite Aid/CVS/etc.), and our work accountant a white Audi Q5. I have one of those larger ones for my silver Benz daily driver, and a Hot Wheels of my weekend car (silver w/black rims). I even keep one in that car velcroed on the dash. I used to have a 1988 Ford Mustang GT in dark/light grey and had the exact same mini car in some other brand (Maisto?). I also gifted a coworker a black P. Cayenne SUV and my boss a gold Range Rover. I could never find a good 1999 Cherokee in emerald green to match my Jeep.

And no, I don't keep them in the box. All my cars get played with, rolled around and all corner great on my desk and sound awesome! I have 2 boys that also share my love of cars, both real and mini, but they know not to touch daddy's collection! In my old house, I had them on display in my music room. My current place's music room is still under repair, though, so most are sadly sitting in a bag just waiting to get out again.....

Also, my bro-in-law's new wife's aunt's 2nd hubby is an old white guy who used to work for Mattel back in the day. He was in charge of developing 2 lines - he was an operations engineer - the Barbies and Hot Wheels! I saw him at Xmas last year and we shared great stories. My weekend car is my dream Hot Wheels and even has a "Hot Wheels" sticker on it....the dudes love that!

20201022_212427.jpg

Last edited:

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Matchbox! Had both as a kid but Matchbox was better built and had lots of cars modeled after real cars. I liked Hot Wheels but they mostly had factory cars that were modified and painted to look like something else, plus they had a ton of made up cars that didn't even exist. Even as a kid I realized this fact!

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
For a grownup collecting old toys - Matchbox for sure. For a kid - whatever floats your boat. A year after getting rid of the hotwheels track my son never played with, he started getting into with a vengeance. Right now it's about all he wants to watch on youtube. We found a used Super Ultimate Garage for $30, and that's Christmas this year.

brianb

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hot Wheels have always been my favorite. I have several and I still buy a few here and there when I see something cool. I’m not a serious collector and mostly focus on Corvettes and Chevy trucks.

shilohjim

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Matchbox. Superfast 1969-1982. And all variants. The guy with the largest Matchbox collection in the world has an appointment-only museum about 20 mins. from here.

I'd pay handsomely for a mint example of the Mini Ha Ha white variant w/box. I only ever saw one-in Mr. Bigg's Department Store in Bridgeton NJ in 1978.

Attachments

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
As my 5 years old grandson says... "ALL of them"! Ive been playing with toy cars since the mid 60's and have never stopped. I sold a little over 30,000 Hot Wheels in a single sale one time because I thought it might be getting a little out of hand... :blink:! I still maintain my collection in my den and garage / workshop but much more manageable now. I only collect 1:64 racing sports cars replicas (with a little drag racing section) so it's easier to manage. I still enjoy building custom cars but I have been so busy the last few years that has slowed a bit. I really enjoy my toys! As an example, this is my collection of 1:64 John Greenwood Corvettes raced during the 70's. Lots of brands, some custom made some modified and some factory...

DSC02432 copy copy.jpg

KevinD

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Over the summer at my dad's house, we rebuilt a shed on his property that had been hit by a pretty tree limb. In the corner of the shed I recognized a good sized box... but could not remember what was in it.
In the box I found about 20 or Hot Wheels, Johnny Lightning and Matchbox cars (as well as a few others) all from the late 60s early 70s.
Most of the were in OK, not great shape..not from years of storage, but from me... I guess I played hard with them.

There were a couple I could not find, one of them was the Red Baron car which would be worth a little money.. I'm sure it will turn up.
Still have a lot of the track setups in the attic too!

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was an avid Matchbox collector when I was a kid. I passed them on to my son who decided it was better to play with them than store them away in a protective case like I did. However, I liked Hot Wheels from the aspect of racing. I still have some track and the housing that propelled them through each lap.