OT: Matchbox or Hot Wheels

Skyrm

DFO Master
Reaction score
The “Red-Line” Hotwheels really are worth a lot. And yes, they were more fun with the whole loopty-loop race track!!

tempobob

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Over the summer at my dad's house, we rebuilt a shed on his property that had been hit by a pretty tree limb. In the corner of the shed I recognized a good sized box... but could not remember what was in it.
In the box I found about 20 or Hot Wheels, Johnny Lightning and Matchbox cars (as well as a few others) all from the late 60s early 70s.
Most of the were in OK, not great shape..not from years of storage, but from me... I guess I played hard with them.

There were a couple I could not find, one of them was the Red Baron car which would be worth a little money.. I'm sure it will turn up.
Still have a lot of the track setups in the attic too!
I have the Red Baron. Never step on the Red Baron Hot Wheel ! Ouch

tempobob

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was a collector of Hot Wheels back when they first came out. I had most all of them from series one throughout the mid 70s ... including the Rrrumblers. They all were stolen (along with our entire apartment of furniture and personal belongings) right around 1976 or 77.
I didn't bother replacing any of my toys ... including my extensive Major Matt Mason collection.
But, I did manage to pick up the re-release of the first edition models. That was a neat hug from my past.
I have a few of the collector books and "remember" the cars. It's enough for me.
Did you have the Bubble Matt Mason rolled in?

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you have the Bubble Matt Mason rolled in?
Absolutely.
And the space crawler that pulled it.
And Sgt. Storm, Doug Davis, Calisto, and of course Captain Lazer.
I had several Mason's due to him coming with many of the sets.
I got the Space Mission Team that came with three of the astronauts and Calisto, along with some neato space gadgets.
Lots of the playsets ... Firebolt Cannon, Unitred, Space Power Suit and Space Travel, Lunar Base, etc.
Those were some very cool toys.
I can still remember the smell of Calisto's head. It was so strange. He smelled so different from the others. And his head was transleucent. So cool.
Those thin wires would break and poke through the rubber. Bummed me out. But they were the coolest toys.

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I was young my dad sold matchbox's in his pharmacy.
Recently I got excited that Hot Wheels makes a few variations of the Datsun 2000 Roadster...I've been trying to collect each...otherwise not so much a collector..but fond memories of both
DA9604B8-8482-41B4-8145-D3EF036E899D.jpeg
I’m looking to trade this for a Crash of Doom. It’s my son’s, but he’s five and I’m pretty sure I can roll him.

Skyrm

DFO Master
Reaction score
Lots of great memories here - but don’t get me started on my G. I. Joe collection!! Had at least ten of the 12” action figures, and a ton of accessories/vehicles. Sold it all for $25. :(

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had over a hundred Hot Wheels and close to fifty Matchbox cars as a kid.

I had all of the original Hot Wheels releases, mine were different colors than these shown here. What really frightens me is that I can still remember what they were called and what color each of the ones that I owned were.

The Mustang, Camaro, Corvette, Cougar, VW Beetle, Ford J Car, Barracuda, Firebird, Eldorado and T-Bird are easily identified, as they were based on actual cars. Remembering the Python, Beatnik Bandit, Deora, Hot Heap, Silhouette, and Fleetside was more of a mental challenge. (I'm pretty sure that I butchered the spelling of a couple of the names.)

1603568663825.png

Last edited:

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty cool, Frank, but kinda hard to load drums into and when finding gig parking in the City one wants small and something that doesn’t say Steal Me.

tempobob

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have the Boss Hoss Mustang and the Camaro version. They were all chrome came with a special card. I’ll have to dig them out.

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
No Dinky Toys love here? They were founded in 1934 bij Meccano and thus my grandfather, father, and myself played with them thoroughly.

Interestingly Mattel of Barbie fame, owns all three brands now.

Last edited:

mcjaco

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What I did the collect as a kid were Stompers. (I grew up in the early 80's) I must have had them all and wish I still had them. Not only did I have the vehicles but also had the tracks and everything else that was sold for the Stompers. I even had the semi-trucks & trailers! They were more fun than Hot Wheels or Matchbox and extremely popular back then. We used to take them to school to showoff the ones that we had. God knows where they went! I'm sure they got donated or something. I hadn't thought about them for years till this thread came up. I just checked eBay and they're worth big bucks! Look at this, $2000: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Schaper-Stomper-4x4-Rare-Blue-Baja-Bug-NOC-UNPUNCHED-CARD-perfect-Mint-Card-AFA/392968331687?hash=item5b7ebce1a7:g:sLAAAOSwRxBfekYu&LH_ItemCondition=1000 What I collect now days are old video games. I not only have the original machines and games that I had as a kid but have amassed many others in the last 20 years. I've got every Atari machine ever made, Intellivision, Odyssey etc.. + hundreds of games for all of them. Anyways, here is a picture of a Stompers for those that don't remember or might have never seen one:
View attachment 466421

I loved Stompers! I had the big foam mountain. I recall being on a cross country family car trip, and stopping at every McDonald's I could for the Stomper toys in the Happy Meals.

As for for Matchbox and Hot Wheels, I had both. I always liked Matchbox better, but Hotwheels had the Railroad line up which I still have to this day.