OT: Matchbox or Hot Wheels

Rufus T Firefly

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both. I have a ridiculously large collection. I have a large collection of drums too. And guns. My all time favorite from my Matchbox is a yellow field car pulling a yellow Honda trailer with a purple Honda motorcycle.
I also have that honda motorcycle in the yellow trailer. When it came out I couldn't wait to get my hands on one!

sternerp

Reaction score
I collected Matchbox cars back in the mid-sixties. I still have them in my attic, and this thread will get me looking for them. I never liked Hot Wheels; I felt that they were a tacky rip-off of the Matchbox, and they didn’t even have a cool box!

cruddola

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
MATCHBOX!! I still have their larger ones almost like 1/43. Somewhere in the house!

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I had both. Well, I still have them. I think I have about a hundred total, some still in the box as I thought they might be collectors items but probably aren't. I can't remember which brand I preferred, if I even had a preference. I have some tracks that go with it too. I think that's all Matchbox. At this point I'll give them to my son when he's old enough, if he wants them. They're in this red briefcase style container with yellow baskets with little spots for each car. I don't remember what brand it is and it's buried in storage right now.

Skyrm

DFO Master
Reaction score
People that liked electric train sets liked matchbox. People that liked slot cars liked Hot wheels.
I liked all four! After I sold off my car collection I tied to sell off parts of my HO triangle stuff. Weirdo, almoost zero market for the vintage 60’s and 70’s stuff.

Slingwig26

Reaction score
No self respecting kid in the 70's would be caught dead with a Matchbox. :)
Hot wheels were cheap, Matchbox were diecast. Ergo...better, the wheels were better also. In keeping with the Drum Forum, Hot Wheels made a thin percussive thwack when thrown against a concrete wall.

Rufus T Firefly

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
People that liked electric train sets liked matchbox. People that liked slot cars liked Hot wheels.
Good correlation. Never thought of it that way but when I was in my early 20s I got into N scale model railroading ..... as a kid I was strictly matchbox.

dje31

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had / have both Hot Wheels and Matchbox, along with quite a few Corgi, which were a larger scale. Corgi and Matchbox were more actual scale representations of actual vehicles, while most of the Hot Wheels were more eccentric, exaggerated, or fantasy-oriented. That said, Hot Wheels always performed better on the Hot Wheels tracks...not surprisingly.

I've passed them on to my son, but see them still in the attic on occasion, with fond memories of youth in simpler times.

Rufus T Firefly

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I was a kid in the 60s I was pretty much a Matchbox snob. I didn't even want to look at anything by Hot Wheels or Johnny Lighting. At that point in my life I didn't feel the need for speed. I wanted cars, trucks etc. that looked like something I might see on the road. Obviously the Hot Wheels were much faster than the Matchbox but I didn't roll my cars. I played with them the old fashioned way: I pushed them around with my hands. When the Matchbox SuperFast came out, I wasn't much interested but by then my play with cars days were waning (girls & drums were becoming much more interesting.) As an adult I started collecting with a focus on sports, exotic & expensive cars. Now it mattered not who made it as long as it was cool. So now I have a ton of Matchbox, Hot Wheels, Johnny Lightning and a number of other brands. I have a few of my original Matchbox cars on display on a piano in the drum room. I used to have all my cars on display in a very large oak/glass cabinet but eventually the drums started eating up more and more space and the display cabinet had to go. I still have them all packed away in a closet.

Here's a few pics:

These 4 might be a precursor to Matchbox. They are not stamped Matchbox, but the bottom says "Models of Yesteryear" by Lesney (the original maker of Matchbox cars). My parents had some friends that were missionaries in Britain. Once when they were home their son gave my brother these 4. He wasn't into Matchbox cars as heavily as I was so I cabbaged onto them. Who knows, they might be worth something. If they are don't tell my brother... he might want them back!
1.jpg

Next a box set of the Matchbox Famous Cars of Yesteryear (these are larger than the regular cars):
2.jpg

Some of my original Matchbox collection:
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg

The ONLY surviving Matchbox box from my childhood. A horse trailer of all things:
7.jpg

My Matchbox case and fold open Service Station / case:
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
When I was a kid in the 60s I was pretty much a Matchbox snob. I didn't even want to look at anything by Hot Wheels or Johnny Lighting. At that point in my life I didn't feel the need for speed. I wanted cars, trucks etc. that looked like something I might see on the road. Obviously the Hot Wheels were much faster than the Matchbox but I didn't roll my cars. I played with them the old fashioned way: I pushed them around with my hands. When the Matchbox SuperFast came out, I wasn't much interested but by then my play with cars days were waning (girls & drums were becoming much more interesting.) As an adult I started collecting with a focus on sports, exotic & expensive cars. Now it mattered not who made it as long as it was cool. So now I have a ton of Matchbox, Hot Wheels, Johnny Lightning and a number of other brands. I have a few of my original Matchbox cars on display on a piano in the drum room. I used to have all my cars on display in a very large oak/glass cabinet but eventually the drums started eating up more and more space and the display cabinet had to go. I still have them all packed away in a closet.

Here's a few pics:

These 4 might be a precursor to Matchbox. They are not stamped Matchbox, but the bottom says "Models of Yesteryear" by Lesney (the original maker of Matchbox cars). My parents had some friends that were missionaries in Britain. Once when they were home their son gave my brother these 4. He wasn't into Matchbox cars as heavily as I was so I cabbaged onto them. Who knows, they might be worth something. If they are don't tell my brother... he might want them back!
View attachment 467180

Next a box set of the Matchbox Famous Cars of Yesteryear (these are larger than the regular cars):

Some of my original Matchbox collection:

The ONLY surviving Matchbox box from my childhood. A horse trailer of all things:

My Matchbox case and fold open Service Station / case:
Cool collection. I think I have that brown truck somewhere.

hardbat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had both, as well as some other brands (Corgi, Dinky, JL, etc.). But the early Hot Wheels were actually engineered for speed which made them fun the play with. The spectraflame paint also matched the custom paint jobs popular in the late 60s. My friends and I used to enjoy meeting and racing our cars - it was more fun than pushing the matchboxes around and looking at them. As models, of course matchboxes win. But as a toy, Hot Wheels were ingenious, adding an element of sport and as a result they are the most popular toy in history, over 6 billion sold.