OT - McDonald's McPlant Burger

Dumpy

DFO Master
Reaction score
All these massive food companies pushing meat substitutes is all about their profit margin, and zero to do with healthier options (read what's in them). It's no different than cartels pivoting from heroine to fentanyl. One you have to grow (takes up lots of land), is expensive to produce, etc, and the other can be made entirely in a lab, much less space, for cheap.

I saw what was in some of these meat alternatives and it was pretty scary. No thank you.

rsq911

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Our local Culver's, always, always, always wrong! The McD's, always right. But I have to have my large Dr Pepper to start the day. Yes, I know, but hey, I only play Ludwig drums!

Apparently the plant based burgers at fast foods are just as bad as the regular burgers. Crazy high in sodium. If you look at the nutritional information, the McPlant and a Quarter Pounder with cheese are are almost identical?!?!?!?!

My students showed me this video, had me crying!

Last edited:

Dumpy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Our local Culver's, always, always, always wrong! The McD's, always right. But I have to have my large Dr Pepper to start the day. Yes, I know, but hey, I only play Ludwig drums!

Apparently the plant based burgers at fast foods are just as bad as the regular burgers. Crazy high in sodium. If you look at the nutritional information, the McPlant and a Quarter Pounder with cheese are are almost identical?!?!?!?!

My students showed me this video, had me crying!

My wife even laughed!

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score
I like Burger King's Impossible Whopper, but it's an indulgence. I don't fool myself that it's more nutritious (or less bad). Nutrition aside, meat substitutes are better for the environment.

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
When I get that urge once every couple of months and don't feel like firing up the bbq ... it's In & Out.

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just make your own at home if that is what you want to eat..... Morning Star brand makes good patties .. you can find them at most grocery stores.

Subway used to make these starting in the mid 90's where I would frequent as a teenager... , but they had a custom elongated shape patty... and they were very good... I don't know why Subway quit these but they had the best thing going.. and I think maybe they still offer them in select locations but I have not seen them in a while.
I really like the Field Roast vegan burger patties, as well as the Impossible and Beyond burgers. Vegan food has gotten much much better in the last few years.

EssKayKay

Reaction score
They got rid of the beef tallow in the french fry oil a few years back.
Yeah, that's when they really tasted great. Probably not that healthy but the very few times I visited such, I do miss it -- anything in moderation. . .

OregonJim

Reaction score
I go to the local Mickey D's every few months. Never have they gotten my order wrong.
Just yesterday, I went to Panera and they gave me the wrong breakfast sandwich.
Seems to be regional. Maybe even seasonal. Or maybe it just depends on how leader-like the manager is.
Carl's Jr in my hometown (almost) always gets my order right, but the Carl's Jr 10 miles away almost always gets it wrong. Same rules & procedures, different managers.

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems to be regional. Maybe even seasonal. Or maybe it just depends on how leader-like the manager is.
Carl's Jr in my hometown (almost) always gets my order right, but the Carl's Jr 10 miles away almost always gets it wrong. Same rules & procedures, different managers.
I’ve heard it’s very difficult to standardize quality across a wide franchise network.

Dumpy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Really? I did not know that. Interesting.
A friend of mine who got into Jimmy John’s is being asked when he’s going to open up a few more. I’ve lost contact with him, so I don’t know if he ever opened anymore of them. But typically, in many franchised chains, part of consistency is one owner who runs several units.

ppfd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’m by far a vegetarian, etc. I’ve tried plant meat and it wasn’t too bad.
Still try and hunt for my meat, buy beef, pork from local sources.

Now a McGriddle, that’s about the only reason I go to McDonald’s

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
Since there is a minor tizzle going on about OT threads I decided to just add to this one..

..with NEW and EXCITING news from McDonald's!

Now you can take those already crappy menu items and stack them on top of each other. McDouble-Down! Appropriately called "Menu Hacks".

'Murica!

(for a limited time only)