header.nohb.html

OT: Members in the path of hurricane Ian

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Hopefully, we’ll be able to laugh at this when the storm has passed.
We can laugh at it right now. Two things: (1) it is woefully out of date - the newest US and European projections are much closer to agreement than the spaghetti shown in the "track of uncertainty" in your graphic, and (2), we have a clear idea of where Ian will touch down and the counties that are in immediate peril. Analysis and critical thinking are grand things, no?

JimmyM

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
We can laugh at it right now. Two things: (1) it is woefully out of date - the newest US and European projections are much closer to agreement than the spaghetti shown in the "track of uncertainty" in your graphic, and (2), we have a clear idea of where Ian will touch down and the counties that are in immediate peril. Analysis and critical thinking are grand things, no?
I’m fortunately not in the worst of it but it’s going to be very unpleasant for a lot of friends.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Not many basements in Florida, if any..
Actually, when my parents moved to FL around 1970 their house in Fern Park, a suburb of [at the time] tiny Orlando had a basement. I was serving overseas when they moved from MD to FL, so when I finally did visit them years later I thought basements were normal. What did I know :) I am now enlightened to the fact that basements are very rare. Having one is actually not wise.

Last edited:

JimmyM

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Actually, when my parents moved to FL around 1970 their house in Fern Park, a suburb of [at the time] tiny Orlando had a basement. I was serving overseas when they moved from MD to FL, so when I finally did visit them years later I thought basements were normal. What did I know :) I am not enlightened to the fact that basements are very rare. Having one is actually not wise.
That’s for sure! What neighborhood was that? Do you know if it’s still there? Water table is quite low for a basement here.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
That’s for sure! What neighborhood was that? Do you know if it’s still there? Water table is quite low for a basement here.
No idea. It was over a half-century ago. I didn't move to Florida until 2004, and by that time my parents had lived in Altamonte Springs and a few other places before moving to Daytona Beach Shores. I moved to FL from CA to semi-retire, but I do remember the basement in the Fern Park place because a younger brother had a Rogers drum kit set up in a finished basement and I spent a lot of time playing it on a leave period when I briefly returned to the states from Vietnam.

gwbasley

DFO Master
Reaction score
This one is it may be a rehash of "Charlie". It had Tampa area folks on edgebut it is now looking like we may have dodged a bullet and will be down to TS category by the time it reaches you in the Sanford and Deltona areas. I am mostly worried about losing power because my wife is on O2 and we have a limited supply of back up....fingers crossed!

varatrodder

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s a borderline cat 5 with 155mph winds now. This is a bad one for south Florida.

Last edited:

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s a borderline cat 5 with 155mph winds now. This is a bad one for south Florida.

For those that need a visual reference...
1664368424064.png

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
We sold our condo on Ft Myers Beach last year because of COVID. It was a rental. We loved going there a couple times a year to spruce things up. Unfortunately, it is at ground zero. We hope it survives. Beautiful area. Here’s a pic. If it gets the 18’ storm surge, I am very skeptical that it will survive.
Our condo was (is) on the third floor. Prayers sent.

EF3C49C9-DDBD-47B3-B34A-E78B15ACEE3C.jpeg

7D106615-BC3F-4E02-86A3-3317ED6465F9.jpeg

kdgrissom

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
Having lived within walking distance of this spot I can tell you that when this happens, the smell is not pleasant.
That was the first thing I thought of seeing that gal knee deep in sludge - that stuff stinks.

I've tromped around my fair share of brackish sludge on the carolina coast in my day, the stench of death.

robthetimekeeper

DFO Master
Reaction score
This website shows the wind speed measurements and forecast at the closest airport to my house, about 5 miles away. Tomorrow should be interesting.

gwbasley

DFO Master
Reaction score
This website shows the wind speed measurements and forecast at the closest airport to my house, about 5 miles away. Tomorrow should be interesting.
You are in the predicted path but wind will be way down...likely a TS by then. That forcast chart is interesting, it looks like the eye crosses over sometime between 11am and 2 pm where it takes a big dive, (42 to 12). Hopefully the day ends well for all of us.

Ludwigboy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thoughts and prayers for all Floridians in general and Floridian DFO members specifically, as we watch this hurricane unfolding...this is terrible!