header.nohb.html

OT: Members in the path of hurricane Ian

Masecar

Reaction score
I'm in central NC, so I'm not exactly in the path of the storm, but I did use it as an excuse to re-seal my garage door, clear my gutters, and make sure they shoot the water where it goes away from the house. Cause we're definitely going to get a good couple inches of rain tomorrow.

Edit: Lost power around 4pm. Thankfully drums don't need electricity to play!

Last edited:

Skinsmannn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What a horrific thing to be part of.
I am having a hard time processing just how bad this was.
Now the recovery.

DBT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hoping that Hurricane Ian will not live up the hype. CNN and the Weather Channel seem to expect it's going to rain fire and rip the Earth asunder.

With our goldfish brains, many of us seem to forget most weather events are disappointing in comparison to what the weather men are currently screaming about.

Take precautions, of course, but maybe chill out a little bit.

Hope the rain stays away from Talladega on Sunday.
With the weather being unpredictable more now then ever these days it just showed how listening to those that know better advising on the side of caution is always the right move . Don’t think there are too many people down there chilling .

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Although the storm had dropped to tropical storm status by the time it got to Daytona Beach it still had enough power to do this:

My total damage (I am 20 miles west of Daytona Beach) was leaves and palm fronds littering my sidewalk and front yard. I am truly fortunate.

storm2.jpg
Storm1.jpg

DBT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Although the storm had dropped to tropical storm status by the time it got to Daytona Beach it still had enough power to do this:

My total damage (I am 20 miles west of Daytona Beach) was leaves and palm fronds littering my sidewalk and front yard. I am truly fortunate.

It’s never the Eye but always the Tail Winds . Up here in NJ we usually have a 3 pronged attack . The Hurricane , the Nor Easter and the pressure coming off the Great Lakes . Up here with the power grid still ancient the electric can be off for weeks . I have a whole house generator powered by natural gas so it kicks right on when we loose power . Most people aren’t that lucky nor are they laughing . Most people also have electronic ignition with furnaces in areas up here , if you don’t have the set up I do your screwed unless you have a gas fireplace that you can override .

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
The wife and I sold off all of our Florida homes earlier this year.
We both felt it was time to cut the ties there ... all of the family there had passed or relocated.
I am saddened at the loss and devestation this storm has brought.
I do hope our Florida members are well and that the loss is minimal.

Heartbeat

Advanced Heart Guru
Reaction score
I played with a singer/songwriter in NC for many years pre-Covid. During the shutdown in 2020, he moved to Florida where he could get work. He's been doing very well down there, until now. He's in Ft. Myers. Just heard he's ok, but has lost some of his gear, his car, his motorcycle, tools. And of course the venues are destroyed.

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well, cinderblock is perfectly fine! That should take a hit without much stress!
When I was in New Orleans a couple of years ago, right after Katrina, I was gobsmacked to see so many houses in a hurricane area built entirely of timber. The same thing for San Francisco, a known seismic area with active faulting all over the place and the houses looked like wooden shacks!
Part of it is just historical building practices, land was cleared and plenty of wood available. And of course its way cheaper.
I agree for storms, but timber does better than cinderblock or concrete in seismic hazard (those fail in brittle fashion, timber can away) at least for homes and small buildings.
The truth is, this hurricane was a real fury and even concrete structures were affected with material hurling into them and a 6 meter storm surge.

JimmyM

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
How I would love to choose how my house is built, but good luck to you if you can get it done and not pay a fortune.