header.nohb.html

OT: Mercury Lounge Manhattan?

Mr B

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Question for the New York forum members.

I’ll be in Manhattan later this week attending a event on the upper East side (E 63th) scheduled Friday night 6:30 to 9:00

While downtown at the Mercury Lounge (217 Houston st.) the Suburb's, a old favorite start at 7:30.

http://chartroommedia.com/images/suburbs_newyorker.jpg

Do shows typically start late (like where I’m from)?

If so-

I don’t have much experience navigating New York so Is it realistic to leave my first event a little early and travel across town in reasonable time to see the Suburb's?

Thanks!

-Kirk

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mr B said:

I’ll be in Manhattan later this week attending a event on the upper East side (E 63th) scheduled Friday night 6:30 to 9:00

While downtown at the Mercury Lounge (217 Houston st.) the Suburb's, a old favorite start at 7:30.

If so-

I don’t have much experience navigating New York so Is it realistic to leave my first event a little early and travel across town in reasonable time to see the Suburb's?

Thanks!

-Kirk
Looks like they have two shows nightly, early and late. I never played a gig in NYC that started before 9.
http://www.mercuryloungenyc.com/calendar/

Jim Hodgson

Advanced Forum Guru
Reaction score
Mr B said:

If so-

Thanks!

-Kirk
Hmmm ... that's really hard to say. If you're looking for "typical," most clubs like that have four or five bands playing on any given night, so the rule is that sets are 45 minutes, you get on and off *quickly* and things generally run just a little slow -- like by a few minutes but not more. Your show is a little different, though. Only two acts that night (that I can see anyway). A 7:30 start is waaay early for NYC, so maybe it'll be delayed a little? You could always try to call Mercury Lounge and ask for advice on that.

If your event is on E. 63rd, then you're traveling downtown, not across town. Fastest way to go would probably be in a cab ... ~20 minutes. Subway is F train from 63rd St./Lexington Ave. to 2nd Ave. Venue is just a few blocks east on Houston St. Between walking, waiting, subway ride, and walking again, you're probably looking at ~45 minutes?

scaramanga

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think the Merc runs a pretty tight ship. My experience is that NYC clubs can't play it too loosey goosey.

creinhard

Reaction score
scaramanga said:
I think the Merc runs a pretty tight ship. My experience is that NYC clubs can't play it too loosey goosey.
I second that ... many of the bars and clubs (with multiple bands per night) have to stick to a schedule ...

Chris

Mr B

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks again!

It was so late before we left our first event I didn’t even attempt it.

Never the less it was a great trip and by the time we had to leave for home I was able to navigate the subways a little.

Something I wouldn’t of thought possible before, but the street girds are logical (up town anyway), the train lines are fairly easy to understand, and everyone was friendly and helpful.

-Kirk

creinhard

Reaction score
Mr B said:
Something I wouldn’t of thought possible before, but the street girds are logical (up town anyway), the train lines are fairly easy to understand, and everyone was friendly and helpful.

-Kirk
Glad to hear you had a good time! When running properly, the subways are the best way to get around. Many of the clubs and bars with live music have a "house kit" (80% complete drum kit, ie , no cymbals, or snare or bass pedal...) even so, I've hauled plenty of gear using the subway ...

Chris