OT: Motorcyclists on DFO?

Stretsch

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
No way - big chicken here! Between crappy road conditions and all the horrible drivers out there, I would never risk it.......good luck to you all!

Lazmo

Be excellent to each other...
Reaction score
Yeah, me too, I miss them all.

1974 750 Sport
1974 450 Desmo
1973 750 GT
1981 600 Pantah
TT2 680 Asso Werke
1988 750 Sport
1989 900 Super Sport
2000 900 Monster

But, I particularly miss my 1989 900SS. Only 82hp, but boy, could it corner...phew. My best ever bike.

900SS at Philip Island.JPG

My favourite bike -- Ducati 900SS.JPG

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
What, no 4 valves?
Your list definitely beats mine!
Cagiva Allazura SS (tourist Pantah)
Paso 750 (my favorite)
Mostro 750
Multistrada 620.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Someone previously mentioned the art of riding a slow bike fast, I would posit to you the skill of riding a fast bike slow. I did moto-reffing and officiating for USA Cycling for many years when I could no longer compete a rider. The first picture was taken by one of the race photographers from a professional race in Wilmington 10 years ago. The pro riders go faster than the posted speed limits on city streets. If you want to be a hooligan and get away with it on closed course city streets, be a USA Cycling moto ref. It doesn't disappoint. You will drag a knee trying to keeping ahead of a professional peloton. When I watch the TDF, I envy the moto riders more than the racers. I also got to work another pro race as a press moto on a loaner '10 BMW 1100GS Adventure. It's a great bike, I would love to have one, but a couple of weeks later I got to work another pro race in DC on a loaner '10 Ducati MultiStrada, The Ducati Multi is hands down the best all around moto i have ever ridden. It's not as fun at the 1st gen Multi 1000DS, but it is a better and faster bike. Now I'm sad. Johnny K got no bike right now.

Wilmington GP 2010.jpg

Clarendon Cup 2010.jpg

Lazmo

Be excellent to each other...
Reaction score
What, no 4 valves?
Na, in the early days it was all bevel, and then when I got my Pantah, I became a 2 valve belt convert. They are amazing motors, with wonderful power across the range, are totally bullet proof and super easy to build and/or service including doing the desmos. To do the desmos on a four valver is just too onerous, and I just never wanted to pay the man to do it. Back in the day, there were lots of cheap 851,888,916 going after their original owners got the shock of their lives and paid for the first big desmo service.

I did moto-reffing and officiating for USA Cycling for many years when I could no longer compete as a rider. When I watch the TDF, I envy the moto riders more than the racers.

Now I'm sad. Johnny K got no bike right now.
Yep, the TDF looks like a heap of fun for the motorcycling officials. Amazing roads and scenery, and yeah they are all very good riders, and need to be, particularly in the descents.

Regarding being bike-less, well, you know what to do then...

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
Helped out at the Women’s State road championship race by riding as a marshal. You were really working to stay with them on the descents!

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My coworker was in his mid 50's had a Hayabusa 1100?, 2 Ducatis, and a BMW K100 touring bike. I know he did Sturgis one year and used to ride up to Reno to see his fiancee. He crashed one of the Ducatis at Laguna Seca at a track day and jacked up his shoulder but he got back on the bike after a few months. He retired a few years back at 65 and was still riding.....

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
My coworker was in his mid 50's had a Hayabusa 1100?, 2 Ducatis, and a BMW K100 touring bike. I know he did Sturgis one year and used to ride up to Reno to see his fiancee. He crashed one of the Ducatis at Laguna Seca at a track day and jacked up his shoulder but he got back on the bike after a few months. He retired a few years back at 65 and was still riding.....
Uh, coming on to 66, still riding, working, and hopefully gigging!

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Na, in the early days it was all bevel, and then when I got my Pantah, I became a 2 valve belt convert. They are amazing motors, with wonderful power across the range, are totally bullet proof and super easy to build and/or service including doing the desmos. To do the desmos on a four valver is just too onerous, and I just never wanted to pay the man to do it. Back in the day, there were lots of cheap 851,888,916 going after their original owners got the shock of their lives and paid for the first big desmo service.

Yep, the TDF looks like a heap of fun for the motorcycling officials. Amazing roads and scenery, and yeah they are all very good riders, and need to be, particularly in the descents.

Regarding being bike-less, well, you know what to do then...
Around here, (DC area) not a chance.

Jazz Turkey

Reaction score
I completed a STARS safety course 2 weeks ago. Long time cyclist, but this was the first time I have ever ridden a motorcycle.

Bought a Kawasaki KLR 650 (2014) last week, been riding every day since.

100% fun.

JazzyJeff

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been riding for 1 year now. Mostly country roads and avoiding highways. 2004 BMW R1200C

IMG_6064.JPG IMG_6065.JPG d8GRoaFeSG+MqMauJMswQg.jpg