header.nohb.html

OT- Moving

dingaling

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m likely moving to another state next year. I haven’t moved in many many years. I have quite a few kits that I don’t really want to sell.

Does anyone have experience moving large drum collections? I’ll have to get a moving company which is giving me anxiety. Will likely have to box everything up, even bass drums.
Maybe Russian doll smaller toms into larger ones?

rwm5

Reaction score
I’ve been moved by my past employer twice, out of state each time. I have cases for all my drums, one set of hard cases, multiple sets of bags. All the drums in bags were then wrapped and boxed up individually, to then be placed on top of heavy items in the truck. I was apprehensive at first but after the moving company told me that’s what they planned to do, I was very comfortable with that method.

For in state moves I just moved them myself.

dingaling

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’ll likely do a pod and use movers to pack it although I did a bad thing and read reviews and there are a lot of horror stories. To me the worst was someone said their pod had a small hole in the roof which allowed water to get in and ruined everything they owned.

Because I read that I might individually wrap each drum in a couple layers plastic wrap, which wouldn’t be too expensive but would take hours and hours.

Im thinking Russian doll 10 tom into 14 tom and 12 tom into bass drum. Then wrap the 14 tom and bass drums in plastic wrap, then bubble wrap, then a soft case, then a box with padding.
I’ll do the same for snares and I can fit 3 in each 16” squared box.

I literally could care less about anything I own except my drums and records. Baby pics, you can have them, furniture…who cares, kitchen table…whatever. My drums, totally different story.

Those pod companies are still in business so there must be enough good stories to make it fine to use. I hope…

I think moving is the most stressful activity a human will do.

drumr386

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get your apprehension, I’d be right there with ya. That being said, cases or bags for each drum with each drum being put in a trash bag first would probably be fine to move. I don’t think I’d leave them packed like that for long unless you put a silica packet in each before closing. Packed and stacked tightly is key. You could even put smaller drums in combo with each other in a large carton. As a truck driver, freight that is packaged halfassed will usually be damaged.

Stretsch

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I will add another plus for the hard cases. I have Gretsch Renowns - not the fanciest set but I love them. When we moved from Toronto area to British Columbia I bought a used set of hard cases and packed towels around each drum - worked great - no damage at all and the cases are always available for gigs. They all Russian Doll together when empty too so not a big amount of storage required.
Best of luck with your move!

dingaling

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I get your apprehension, I’d be right there with ya. That being said, cases or bags for each drum with each drum being put in a trash bag first would probably be fine to move. I don’t think I’d leave them packed like that for long unless you put a silica packet in each before closing. Packed and stacked tightly is key. You could even put smaller drums in combo with each other in a large carton. As a truck driver, freight that is packaged halfassed will usually be damaged.
Good idea, trash bags will save a lot of time. I’ll look into the silica too.

I have too many drums to have hard cases for them all.

That said, I have too many drums. Probably will have to let some go before the move. Issue is they are almost all vintage and it’s hit or miss if I could get another again in the future.

I’d love to be more of a minimalist with drums but I love them so much.

varatrodder

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m getting ready to move so this has been on my mind as well. I have 2 kits and 6 snares to move. I have hard cases for 3 of the snares, and soft cases for everything else. For the kits, I was thinking of picking up a hard case for each bass drum, and then disassembling everything down to the shells. That way I could nest the shells for each kit together in one hard case, with the hardware bagged up and labeled in the case as well. Then I can pack that hard case in a heavy duty box.

SKSMITH

Reaction score
I moved for work many times. Drums in cases, no issues.
How do you think touring bands do it?
And movers are more careful with your stuff than roadies!

BoomBoom

Reaction score
I moved from Dallas to Seattle via a moving company in 2004. I put my new Yamaha Stage Customs in soft cases. The movers took them from there and they arrived in great shape.

Pat A Flafla

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've moved a house full of stuff four times (all 400 miles or less) and I can't imagine ever trusting someone else to pack and transport my stuff.

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve done it. Thousands of miles. Even had the leaking trailer but fortunately discovered it zero hour so the truck could be fixed. Hired movers and I did most of the drum handling. They didn’t mind the help and were willing to collaborate. I purchased a lot of cases for the move (new, used, and put out an ad) and sold what I didn’t need for a loss after. It’s simply an expense of moving and it sounds like you have time to prepare. Moved most of the brass and best snare or two in my auto. Sold a lot before the move, especially the hardware. Overall, I had more influence than expected and it all worked out.

To add: Old used fiber cases are incredibly protective. Bungee cords, tape, similar, or gravity can handle any broken straps.

Last edited:

markrocks68

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
@markrocks68 went through this a few years ago. Maybe he can offer some insight.
Yes I did.
40+ kits , cymbals, snares, hardware & years of collecting from San Diego to Oklahoma.
Sold a couple of kits & snares beforehand as I had way too many drums not being played.
We did our own move as we only had a 680 sq ft condo but we had a music store worth of equipment besides drums.
ALL my drums were in cases. Had to do it even though I was the only one touching the drums.
I wasn't letting any moving company touch any of my drums and we rented the biggest Ryder you could get.
The only way to have real peace of mind is to do it yourself. Glad I did it. Glad I bought all the cases.
And made sure it was all insured for the drive as well.
I was super careful driving and my pristine collection made the journey unscathed as I took the time to prepare, pack, and unpack carefully.
It can be done. Best of luck!

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
You have a personal vehicle, yeah? If you’re so worried about your drums in a possible move next year, plan to take them in your car or rent a van, a trailer, a pod, etc., etc.
I've moved 4 times from the mid West to the west then back and again back to the west,packed myself w friends and put all drums in cases or bags and filled my Blazer with most of them,hauled it behind the 24 ft uhaul. Nothing harmed.