OT - My last MD-88 Approach and Landing

Rick

Reaction score
Some of you may know that my "day job" is a Captain for Delta Air Lines. I've flown the MD-88 for the past 22 years. Because of this COVID crisis, Delta decided to accelerate the retirement of the MD-88 and my last flight on her was Sunday night to Washington Dulles. I was very lucky to have an avid MD-88 fan capture my last approach and landing! He was gracious enough to share the video with me and I have uploaded it to YouTube. So here it is...

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
WOW! That's pretty epic...
Are you going to pilot another aircraft?

Corsair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow, very cool Rick!

Looked like a perfect flare on landing :)

Hope the 717 flies well for you!

Rick

Reaction score
Wow, very cool Rick!

Looked like a perfect flare on landing :)

Hope the 717 flies well for you!
Thanks! It was a quartering tailwind and it got a bit squirrelly on me in the flare. But I was able to finesse it and get a nice smooth last landing in the bird. I'm going to really miss her! Excited about flying the 717 though. It's about the same size as the DC-9-30 that I flew at TWA, so it should handle about the same. Lots of updated technology though...

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes. I'm going to the B-717. Waiting to find out when training will be.
Fantastic!
That's great news. I was a bit worried when I first started reading your post that it may turn out a different way, with the C-19/economic upheaval and whatnot.
Best of luck to you in your next training milestone (sounds like you've had more than few!!!).

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hey Rick! Awesome that it got filmed. Sad to see that you guys are letting go of the 88's. What a workhorse! At least your going to the 717 so you'll still have some of that Douglas feeling when you fly. One of our part time guys is on the 717 at Delta and he really loves it. Good luck!

Rick

Reaction score
Fantastic!
That's great news. I was a bit worried when I first started reading your post that it may turn out a different way, with the C-19/economic upheaval and whatnot.
Best of luck to you in your next training milestone (sounds like you've had more than few!!!).
Haha. Yep, this is my 31st year with the airlines (9 with TWA and 22 with Delta). Not as much training in my history as many. I tend to find an airplane I like and stick with it for awhile. My whole career has been B-727 Flight Engineer (3 1/2 years), Jetstream 32 (during a 2 year furlough from TWA), DC-9 (4 years), and MD-88/90 (22 years). I was a Line Check Airman on the 727 F/E panel and a DC-9 simulator instructor for awhile. I actually do enjoy training though. The 717 should be very easy. Most of the systems are the same as the MD-88. It probably flies about like a DC-9-30 (which was a VERY nice flying airplane). I'll just have to learn a different FMS (Flight Management System) and a different autoflight system. And they'e reorganized the cockpit (moved my cheese), so it'll take a minute to get used to that. It's a short "differences" training course... only 7 days in the simulator.

Rick

Reaction score
Hey Rick! Awesome that it got filmed. Sad to see that you guys are letting go of the 88's. What a workhorse! At least your going to the 717 so you'll still have some of that Douglas feeling when you fly. One of our part time guys is on the 717 at Delta and he really loves it. Good luck!
Thanks, man! Yeah, I hear really good things about the 717. I've jumpseated on it a few times and it looks fun!

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That is SO awsome. The MD-88 was sure a great plane (as long as you didn't sit by the engines). Every flight I took on one was very smooth. I bet they were fun to fly.

I'm jealous of your career - I always wanted to get my pilots license.

Jeff

On the one

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes very cool Rick! I did a internship at McDonnell Douglas back in high school back in 1989 at the Long Beach Ca facility. Ironically the B717 was the last MD plane made at that facility. Boeing just finished the contract that MD had. I believe it was going to be the MD93 I can't remember. It's too bad these planes are being retired hopefully they can be converted into freighters or combi's like the 727 and DC9s.

Rick

Reaction score
Yes very cool Rick! I did a internship at McDonnell Douglas back in high school back in 1989 at the Long Beach Ca facility. Ironically the B717 was the last MD plane made at that facility. Boeing just finished the contract that MD had. I believe it was going to be the MD93 I can't remember. It's too bad these planes are being retired hopefully they can be converted into freighters or combi's like the 727 and DC9s.
It was the MD-95 (B-717). That's the airplane I'm going to fly next. Waiting to find out when I'll go to training on it. Yeah, sadly, all the MD-88's and MD-90's are being scraped. Just makes me sick to think about it. Those airplanes had at least 10 if not 20 years of life left in them. Great airplane that I absolutely loved flying!

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
Amazing, yet bittersweet, of course. I know I've flown on those, maybe a good percent of the flights I've taken in the last 20-odd years, all out of Detroit.

It's inspiring to see people who care about the "stuff" they work with. In many cases I think it translates to caring about the "stuff" we make music with.

Rick

Reaction score
One of my tax clients is a airline pilots

no such thing as a bad takeoff

only a bad landing
Actually, takeoffs aren't all created equal. In an airliner, getting both main landing gears to lift off simultaneously takes a fair amount of finesse. Ever felt that extra bump just as you lift off?

And then the rate of rotation immediately after lift off can make for a very comfortable experience for our passengers versus a startling one.

But yeah, landings are certainly critical. Always nice when number of takeoffs = number of landings!