OT-My state of mind (surprisingly good?)

dtk

DFO Star
Reaction score
I've been biking w/some intent since 2014....I aim for 1K a year and recently as it warmed up challenged myself to do 50 a week because I can do it and remain social distant...and feeling like I control something right now feels good.

Last night...9 miles from home I felt my left cheek slipping lower than my right as I biked up a steep hill. I found a flat place to stop..and it turns out one of the support rods snapped.

Somehow...this didn't bum me out.

I googled the best way home.
I was able to ride, slower, with all my weight on my right cheek.
I could have been much further away (I biked 50 miles last Saturday)...or in the middle of nowhere with an issue that would have made it harder to bring the bike home
I think a new seat could improve my biking experience
I figured the old seat had at least 400 hours of sitting time on it and the bike (a Trek 7300) is at least 10 years old
I thought I'd buy a replacement from a bike shop I'm getting fond of...help support them (Plan B is Amazon and DIY...).

I figure this was my reaction because...I've done bikepacking (starting at age 50) and its taught me I'm much more resilient than I thought....I've been thru worse (in my head anyway).
I've been in touch with my 3 kids during the last week and feel like I'm providing them the support and the love I think they need right now....again...more resilient than I thought.

hang in there guys and gals...

Last edited:

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Awesome!
I love it when a person crosses that line and takes control of thier thought proccesses. It is a very liberating moment.
It sounds like you are in a MUCH better place. That will serve you well.

Here's a VERY general statement ... obvious exceptions ... about "state of mind"

If a person has ever served in a life/death environment ... military or otherwise ... this current situation is somewhat simple to handle. Not to be taken lightly, but definitely not something to be emotional about.
That can be construed by those on the outside as ambivilant. Perhaps even uncaring. Nothing could be further from the truth.
It's about genuinely understanding how to best handle variables that come against you.

The issues arrise when a person lacks an understanding of what a genuine life/death environment is. Emotions tend to run high in them when life gets "real". Not an insult ... just is what it is.

If a person has found him/her self in those very serious locales ... perhaps on multiple occassions ... then times like this are somewhat relaxing. That person still retains empathy/concern for those they love, like always ... but he/she will exist in a wonderful place. Honestly ... the bullets are not flying.

Things on the ToDo List while enjoying this page in history ...

Taking care of house projects
Spending time with the kids
Reading
Playing the drums a bit more
Researching those things you've been curious about
Inventing a Perpetual Motion Machine
Recording your Sgt. Peppers take down
Shaving your cat
Refining recipes
Riding your mountain bikes (I do this, also)
Orgainizing your music library

Just tons of neato things that bless your life.

Lazmo

Be excellent to each other...
Reaction score
I’ve been riding almost my entire life. My wife is equally into it and regardless of C19, we get out three or four times a week. We are mountain bike riders, so we ride on single track as much as possible. To me, riding is 100% zen. I think once you are a rider, you always will be. Keep at it. Oh and mechanicals are a part of the experience.

Here’s two photos. The first one is our very first single track mountain bike ride, back in 2003. Check the bikes. The other two are more current.

BTW, seats on bikes are a bit of a thing. Once you find the one, you'll know.

First MTB ride --- French Island --- 27 Dec 2003.jpg

Falls Creek Summit.jpg

Marysville.JPG

dtk

DFO Star
Reaction score
There was nothing wrong with the one that broke (I mean it served its purpose) ...but I'm developing a fetish for panniers. I have 3 sets...all pretty cheap. I joke with guys I bikepack with that I carry extra bunjis in case I find a drum or cymbal I can take it with me.

I can see were owning a few seats would make sense...

Lazmo

Reaction score
I've tried a bunch of seats over the years, and when I found one that works for me, which is 100% off road trail riding, I have that model on all my main bikes. Unfortunately, they revamp seat models over the years, and that may not good for you.

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
I broke down, spent the money and tried a Brooks. Immediately comfortable. My other favorite is WTB Pure V. YMMV.
ADB3964E-EEA3-47F6-9D83-6B6548218CB8.jpeg

dtk

DFO Star
Reaction score
Ended up buy a Serfas... road it twice since then...should go out tonight

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
The wife and I have a pair of Trek’s at one of our Arkansas homes.
We’ve enjoyed riding from time to time ... but the house is in a “special” place where flat roads are the exception ... and very rare.
I’ve worked up a sweat just getting to the end of my street.
Because it is located in the woods, the wildlife and scenery are very cool.
Not too much compares to stopping for a break and having deer walk by you.
The brown tarantulas I can do without.

Last edited:

MntnMan62

Reaction score
If find your post and this thread to be highly motivating. I've had a tough time getting off my butt lately, having to do entirely with my own state of mind than anything else. I also consider myself a biker but haven't done more than 4 rides since the beginning of the year. I don't understand what my problem is because after each ride I always feel good. I plan on heading out for my 5th ride today. On the road, even though I much prefer mountain. I'm too out of shape for single track.

Reactions: dtk

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
Good choice. Next time check out Selle-An Atomica leather saddles. No break time at all. Love mine.
I’ve heard good things about those. I was ordering stuff from Rivendell, So I went with the Brooks. Got to say after the first or second ride there’s been no change in it. Comfortable from the beginning.

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
> dtk ........ I've got a personal name for this: "survival mode" .... I try to mentally switch into it when needed, not always successfully .........

Way overdramatic for the kind of stuff I've had to confront, but still a useful concept. You do the best you can with what you've got ....... whether it's a 6 - hour turnaround in an unfamiliar city where you have 4 hours of sleep and an hour to run (if you don't get lost!); or a broken frame on the 4-wheel-drive truck 20 miles out in the Nevada desert; or a period of enforced "downtime" because of some weird invisible freak of nature (maybe not such a "freak" - the more I learn about viruses, the more I think they ought to be ruling the world).

But ..... ya gotta stay healthy to rise to the challenge!

Keep it up!

M.

JimmySticks

Reaction score
I'm a cyclist, road bike guy, but I can't get into it right now.

I'm actually a bit afraid to get out. I live in Queens NY, the epicenter of this whole corona problem, and I'm worried about taking a fall and winding up in one of our hospitals, which are severely stressed out right now. Heck, even getting an ambulance to help you might not happen. I know this might sound weird, but for me, it's real. I'm not that young anymore and not as cavalier and care free about certain things. Funny thing is, there has never been a better time to ride here, as its like a ghost town and traffic is lighter than ever.

I'll get past this soon, the weather is warming and I'll just do it...eventually.

Lazmo

Reaction score
Jimmy, stay safe, plenty of time to ride later.

But like you say, quite the conundrum, less traffic than ever before, but a huge gamble if you bin it and hurt yourself.

I feel guilty, or thoughtless somehow, posting my pics.

Stay safe.

dtk

DFO Star
Reaction score
Thanks all for your input and stories. I'm a little less motivated since my parents (80 and 77) tested positive. So far they only have light cases...and they're close so i can go shopping etc for them.

I do worry about getting hurt but overall I think I'm being healthier...

JimmySticks

Reaction score
Jimmy, stay safe, plenty of time to ride later.

But like you say, quite the conundrum, less traffic than ever before, but a huge gamble if you bin it and hurt yourself.

I feel guilty, or thoughtless somehow, posting my pics.

Stay safe.
Please, don't feel guilty! It's good to see some normalcy.

Yeah, I think I'm erring on the side of safety for a bit. I have taken to long brisk walks. It helps my psyche, and again, the peace and quiet are like nothing I've ever seen here.

Keep riding and posting those pics!

JimmySticks

Reaction score
Thanks all for your input and stories. I'm a little less motivated since my parents (80 and 77) tested positive. So far they only have light cases...and they're close so i can go shopping etc for them.

I do worry about getting hurt but overall I think I'm being healthier...
All the best for your parents. Glad they are doing as well as possible. Good to be close at times like this.

Latest posts