OT: Need Suggestions For a Decent Electric Guitar...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luddite

Mostly intentional comic relief
Reaction score
This may have been a topic more appropriate for the "Other Instrument" forum, but I noticed that that one tends to be pretty static so I posted here. I've been exploring the guitar world since last Thanksgiving. I started out on a cheap Fender DG8S acoustic, then a Fender Bucket T, and now have a Taylor 114CE, which is one of their less expensive guitars but is a keeper nevertheless. I also bought an Epiphone SG bass and a Peavey Vypyr modeling amp. I'd like to add an electric guitar to complete my collection and would like to keep it in the $4-500 range, new or used. Any suggestions? I've been looking at some of the nicer Epiphone Les Pauls with some interest, and a friend of mine suggested MIM Strats.

67Mopar

God Speed Jerry
Reaction score
Thousands of choices, Between my Guitar playing buddy, and myself I have access to over 15 guitars, Values from none to 800 ish my go to axe is my Ibanez RG120, I paid 85 bucks for, screwed down the tremelo to th ebody, and will soon be putting in new pups. You need to sit down in a guitar shop and spend the afternoon, I find each guitar is just a bit different than the other, Ive played some really good Squires, and some really crappy ones, same goes for Eppiphone. MIM strats seem pretty consistant , Gibsons , Hamer's I find have a fat /full neck, and weigh a ton. so my answer is no help for you, but my choice is the ibanez, Charvel/Jackson , Kramer because I like the necks on those. I also find that if you like the way your guitar looks you'll pick it up more often.

biggator

DFO Star
Reaction score
Really depends what you want.. something Fender (or Fendery) or Gibson (or Gibsoney).

If you're not concerned with names.. you'd have a hard time finding better bang/buck than Agile. They're Korean made and fantastic.. imported via Rondo Music. I own two, and use them regularly alongside Gibsons, Fenders, PRS and Gretsch.. the Agiles can hang with a 2k+ guitar.

Here's a good example
http://www.rondomusic.com/product5552.html

Even if you hate the pickups (you won't, they're decent).. you can change them and still come in under $500.

Luddite

Reaction score
biggator said:
Really depends what you want.. something Fender (or Fendery) or Gibson (or Gibsoney).

If you're not concerned with names.. you'd have a hard time finding better bang/buck than Agile. They're Korean made and fantastic.. imported via Rondo Music. I own two, and use them regularly alongside Gibsons, Fenders, PRS and Gretsch.. the Agiles can hang with a 2k+ guitar.

Here's a good example

Even if you hate the pickups (you won't, they're decent).. you can change them and still come in under $500.
Thanks for the recommendation---I'll have to keep that one in mind, Bigg. Pretty guitar; if it plays as nice as it looks...;)

chetatkinsdiet

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What I tell everyone is to simply go to Guitar Center and start playing all the Mexican Strats and/or Teles until you find one that you like. There are some that are really nice. $499 is the typical new price for a Fender Standard (MIM) Tele or Strat. You can easily find them for $100-150 less on craigslist or ebay, but it's best to play them first. It's not like there's any shortage of them out there. Who knows, you might even stumble on a cool older MIJ version.

You will never outgrow a nice Fender guitar, even if you decide down the road that you're more of a Gibson guy.

pontiacrich

For Bongo & JM :(
Reaction score
90's Fender Strat (American Standard) should get you just over the high end of that price range.

gwbasley

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also suggest that you pay some attention to scale length. Measure from the nut to the bridge to roughly guage it. Most Fenders are 25 1/2" whereas Les Pauls are 24 3/4. The shorter the scale, the easier they are to fret and bend..what you give up is ripping treble and clarity for slinky fatness. If you are an old duffer with arthritis, like me, you will find the shorter scale easier to play.

Luddite

Reaction score
gwbasley said:
I also suggest that you pay some attention to scale length. Measure from the nut to the bridge to roughly guage it. Most Fenders are 25 1/2" whereas Les Pauls are 24 3/4. The shorter the scale, the easier they are to fret and bend..what you give up is ripping treble and clarity for slinky fatness. If you are an old duffer with arthritis, like me, you will find the shorter scale easier to play.
That might be a consideration---I'm an old duffer who works with air tools most of the day, and my fingers are not stubby, but not space alien length either. I know that the Epi SG bass that I bought felt a lot more comfortable than the Peavey and the Fender that I tried out.

guitarsophist

Reaction score
You might try a Fender Jaguar. It has Fender design but a shorter scale. The new blacktop ones have been catching my eye, but I have too many guitars.

The Agiles from Rondo that someone mentioned are nice. I have an AL-2000 that was $199, and it smokes most Epiphones. I did put Guitar Fetish Vintage '59 pickups in it. I have been told that Agiles are made by a Korean company that made Epiphones for Gibson before they moved the manufacturing to China. I guess they didn't forget how to make Les Pauls after Gibson dumped them. Other than the headstock, which is a bit funky, they look just like Gibsons. Mine is a beautiful cherry sunburst. It sounds glorious. It is heavy though.

W&A Player

DFO Star
Reaction score
<---------------Retired District Sales Manager for 27 years with Fender. If you want an opinion, you don't need to guess that I'd recommend the REAL thing in any price point that fits your budget. Used Fender Mexican-made and Squiers often retain more market value than copy stuff that originally sold for much higher prices.

Buxom

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Probably a CV 50s/60s series Squier Telecaster. If you buy used, that'l leave you enough room to find a better amp.

In my opinion, it's more in the amp than the guitar, although both count. But, if you want to melt some f****** faces with your practice amp, you get an 80s Peavey. The 80s SS amps they made are actually mind blowingly good, and a lot of times they're cheap as well, but you just rarely see them for sale.

I picked mine up for $45 and it's the best practice amp I've ever owned.

This, right here, is what you need.

DoctorJosiah

Reaction score
I use a couple of Mustang's for practice amps or small gigs. The smallest I have is the Mustang II, 40w. I use it at smaller gigs without a problem, also a great acoustic amplifier due to it's FRFR design. Being you play acoustic AND electric, this would be a pretty good direction to go in. The headphone and aux inputs are a nice touch for the late night shred sessions. Believe I grabbed that Mustang II for $100 or $125 used. The software just makes them silly tweak able and the USB out makes for the easiest latency free recording possible.

Have to toss another one for Kurt over at RondoMusic.com for guitars.

People will debate the name brands all day long. But it's about the sound. And I've blind tested my Agile's against the real things, and nobody can tell the difference. Live and in the studio.

FOH: "Man that's an amazing sounding PRS you got there!"

"Thanks!!"

He's too far away to see the head stock says Agile and not PRS.

$400 vs $1,800 is easy math.... besides once you change the pups, then it REALLY doesn't matter about who constructed the body.

Here's my AL Prestige (Would be the 3200 class now I think), setup with EMG 85/85's. I got this one used for $275 w/ an original LP case, which I personally find hilarious. These run about $500 new. http://www.rondomusic.com/al3110boundhsbf.html

Here is one of my Hawker's, these are my favorite for a variety of reasons. Scale length, feel, arch top, floyd, etc. This guy is $400 new.
http://www.rondomusic.com/hawker624floydbkflm.html

All of my floyd equipped guitars get mag-locks and big brass tone blocks along with a variety of other minor upgrades to the bridge system. Futher showing again that, it really doesn't matter who built the body of the guitar. The hardware, setup, pups and player are what make the difference. And there isn't a production guitar in the world that comes with the Floyd upgrades anyway.

Luddite

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the suggestions, guys. I'm going to hook up with a guitarist buddy who is pretty knowledgeable (he owned his own guitar store back in the 90's) and we're going to make a run together and check some guitars out. I wish I would have thought to bring him along when I was looking for acoustics---he could have saved me a lot of grief! The Agile's and the MIM Fenders are at the top of the list as of now. Josiah, both of those guitars are gorgeous---on looks alone I would play them with pride!

biggator

DFO Star
Reaction score
gwbasley said:
Funny.. I find longer scale guitars easier to bend (I suspect I'm not alone as most shredders play Fender-scale guitars). For rhythm, I do love the LP scale length... it just works.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
biggator said:

Here's a good example

In looking at the specs and build of that guitar, I don't know how they can offer something of that quality (seemingly?) for 300 or so bucks. Something's got to give. I could be wrong but I usually find you get what you pay for.

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
That contour body of a Strat is hard to beat. Not heavy either. Make sure you love the looks of the guitar. That matters. You will pick it up more often. I am a Martin/Fender/Gibson guy. I don't get PRS or Taylors' at all. Telecasters are heavy and don't fit your body for playing on the sofa. I am not nuts about the MIM Tele frets either. I like the fat ones like on an American Strat. Ace

Status
Not open for further replies.