OT: New Frank Zappa Documentary Released Today

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
Can't wait! And here in Michigan we've got even more reason to be sentimental at Thanksgiving. For decades, when Frank would tour, he would hit Detroit around Thanksgiving. As a wee lad, I saw the Roxy and Elsewhere band here, within a few days of that killer album's recording.

gmiller598

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I really want to watch this soon. I've been hoping to buy a permanent copy but it appears that it is only available to rent online right now. I guess I'll need to wait and order it when I can have an opportunity to sit and watch it.

Prufrock

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just saw the trailer for this. Looks good! In an interview with Alex Winter, he says that a lot of archival video from"The Vault" of Frank talking is included.

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
Netflix... Amazon? I hope it's on one of those two becuase those are the only ones that I subscribe too. There's already a ton of Zappa related stuff on Amazon, but it sems to be the kind of no-budget, non-authorized type of affairs that are usually pretty ppr... so I've skipped over most of it. This one though sounds like it might be really good.

gmiller598

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Netflix... Amazon? I hope it's on one of those two becuase those are the only ones that I subscribe too. There's already a ton of Zappa related stuff on Amazon, but it sems to be the kind of no-budget, non-authorized type of affairs that are usually pretty ppr... so I've skipped over most of it. This one though sounds like it might be really good.
No free streaming. It is available to rent on Amazon, iTunes, VuDu, etc.

Freewill3

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always been fascinated by Zappa even though I don't find his music to be all that palatable. I do enjoy The Yellow Shark and some of his classical endeavors. There's no doubt about his genius, the level of excellence he expected from his musicians as well as his input on politics/censorship. I'll definitely check it out.

Speedy Keen

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The movie is showing in my town at the Ross Film Theater. I plan to go to the early show.
Doubt there will be many people there. But I am looking forward to it........... I went to the afternoon early show. There were 4 people total in the theater. I became aware of him with the album "We're Only In It For the Money" long ago. Never saw him , but I regret missing him doing a speaking gig (around time of PMRC crap) at Wesleyan University here. I think this is a really well done , interesting movie. It zipped by and the audio was good. I could easily hear what was being said. I think however you are able to see this, you should make sure you do. Two thumbs up, so to speak.

Last edited:

Ickybaby

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watched last night. I enjoyed it but Zappa is such a diverse person, with an output of work greater in size and breadth than most musicians/composers. A 2 hour documentary only scratches the surface. Ken Burns needs to do a 10 parter.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Watched last night. I enjoyed it but Zappa is such a diverse person, with an output of work greater in size and breadth than most musicians/composers. A 2 hour documentary only scratches the surface. Ken Burns needs to do a 10 parter.
That's exactly what I was thinking too. This documentary should be no less that 4 hours long, like the Tom Petty Documentary "Runnin' Down a Dream". Anything short of that is a monster compromise. That said, I am dying to see it.

Sonorholic

DFO Master
Reaction score
I liked it but wanted to see more from folks who played in his bands. Maybe more live footage too. There was a lot of cool stuff though and I'd recommend this to anyone.

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Before the documentary was released I watched a few of the interviews with Alex Winter talking about it. It was obvious that he focused on a few specific topics when he came up with the idea to put this together. And, unlike other documentary makers who approached Gail, Gail Zappa actually LIKED the idea and gave him permission to do the documentary, and also gave him complete access to the contents of "The Vault" where Frank had stored video and audio footage from the time before his birth until after his death. So yeah, it could easily be longer, or made into several parts, but Alex was focused. Alex also said that his crew restored a whole lot of footage they didn't use, knowing that others would be able to. He wanted to release the tip of the iceberg so to speak.
Stretch

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I saw the documentary tonight and it is very well done. Of course, I still wish it was 4 hours+, but that wasn't the objective of the film. While I knew and remembered that Zappa died in 1993, it still struck me that he was only 52 years old. He accomplished all of that incredible body of work by 52... Zappa was truly a genius.

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
No free streaming. It is available to rent on Amazon, iTunes, VuDu, etc.
That's what kinda bugs me about Amazon. Even though they have so many free titles, far too often the really desirable stuff is extra $... which I resent shelling out for an usually don't bother with.

gmiller598

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That's what kinda bugs me about Amazon. Even though they have so many free titles, far too often the really desirable stuff is extra $... which I resent shelling out for an usually don't bother with.
Well, they don't have the streaming rights for it on Amazon Prime Video. They are just offering it as an on demand rental options like all other streaming services right now. It isn't exclusive to them like the 2nd Borat movie and Coming to America 2.

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
Well, they don't have the streaming rights for it on Amazon Prime Video. They are just offering it as an on demand rental options like all other streaming services right now. It isn't exclusive to them like the 2nd Borat movie and Coming to America 2.
Fair enough... I never really thought of it that way, thet the stuff that they rent, rather than have as part of their regular package, might be things that they don't actually have rights to. They are then kind of a portal to other sources that have content to rent. Amazon probably gets a cut, but it I imagine might come from their end rather than yours so that you might be paying the same no matter where you stream it from (or download it).

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I watched the Captain Beefheart doc , and that was pretty interesting .

In the 60s and 70s a Zappa album was worth almost as much as a pair of Levis on the black market behind the Iron Curtain .

That alone ensures his immortality in the pantheon of free thinkers and ferocious guitar players .

Last edited: