OT - New laptop

ppfd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Looking at a new laptop in the near future and have a few questions for you all.
Been a Apple / MacBook Pro and air user for well over 10 years now. I have no real issue with the hardware or software and my complaints stem from the whole sealed system, no user upgradable parts, the need for carrying extra attachments to use the ports and overall price.

So this had led me to look at windows based laptops again. My main interest is to do some gaming again. There are a few interests and items I am using that mainly operate on windows, ham radio and some automotive diagnostic tools are the big two.
Ive been out of the windows loop for some time other than using them at work.
Are modern laptops user upgradable? Ram, video cards, batteries, etc?
Any brands recommended? What would be a good set up for around 1500-2000$
I plan to keep an iPad and iPhone, I still “plug in” to the MacBook on occasion to do back ups and transfer material. Is this possible with windows? Does windows offer an air drop type program?

Joe61

Reaction score
Strictly my opinion here.
I bought a Toshiba laptop satellite L850, directly from toshiba on line. I don't know the age but it came with the first release of windows 7. I did bump up the ram at some point and had the key board replaced. I paid under $600 new and the ram upgrade was $30 and keyboard about $90.
I keep all my data saved on two external HD, one for music and one for other. The internal HD is for software only. I don't use cloud services. My wife has had much data lost in the cloud with apple/mac.

I also have a dell e6400 series running win 7. It is used for gigs to run our xair18.

I don't know if new windows based machines offer the owner to upgrade internals or not.

Good luck
Joe

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have been happy with my Dell XPS 15 (last years model). Upgradable up to 64Gb of RAM, 4k monitor, huge battery, fast processors. Overall a good computer.

My last XPS 15 I bought in 2007 and I still use it for recording. I should probably spend a little money upgrading the ram and operating system. I could probably get another 10 years out of it.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Apple has absolutely gone in the toilet since Jobbs died. Case in point. You buy a new macbook. You buy a new iphone. You cannot plug your iphone into your macbook without either buying a USB to USB-C dongle or buying a USB-C Lightning cable.

They have gone all USB-c on their laptops. They even did away with their magsafe power connector which was a truly great feature.

The butterfly keyboards on the new macbooks are terrible and there have been many problems with keys stopping working due to the tiniest amount of dirt or dust getting under the keys.

Don't get me started on removing the headphone jack from the iphone. My wife and daughter both have iphones. They each have a set of earbuds that will work on absolutely no other devices in our house because they don't have 3.5mm TRRS, they only plug into lightning jacks. I explained to both of them that they would no longer be able to charge their phones and plug in a pair of headphones at the same time. Neither thought it was a big deal until they got their new phones. Now they understand what I was talking about.

Apple is all form over function now. I would absolutely not recommend one of their computers to anyone unless there is software that is just not available on windows.

More and more these days laptops are going to a few USB-c jacks and that's about it. This will require the use of dongles to hook just about anything up to it. Upgradability tends to be a bigger problem the thinner the laptops get. The thicker one generally can still be upgraded and have more jacks. I have had pretty good luck with HP laptops in recent years. Dell used to be rock solid but they went in the ditch a while back. They may be better now but I moved on since that time. I had an early Xps13 that had a charging problem. I lost track of how many times they came to replace parts. In the end they replaced everything except the case and display and it still had the same problem. I final made them replace the unit and that one was fine.

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
We have recently dumped Apple after 15 years. I have a box in my closet of very expensive laptops that no longer work. I now consider them both a Cult and and scam and if planned obsolescence is now an openly admitted business model then I’m happy to pay $400 for a laptop as opposed to $1600. We went with HP and windows this time around and.....also went with a desk top and a proper desk. We’ll see how that goes.

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I would hold out for a bit if you can and get a high end Chromebook. Steam is coming to Chromebooks -- or so we have been promised. Once that happens, all bets are off. Windows PC's are a mess, almost always have been. You need so much virus protection it's like walking through a minefield. I've been on a Chromebook now for 4 years and love it. Quick and easy to operate, does not bog down with updates and is virus free. Best of all, you can get one that will match a high end Apple for a fraction of the price. And until Steam comes onboard, there is Google Stadia. I just finished Assassin's Creed Odyssey on that (almost 170 hours of playing time) and Have just started Red Dead Redemption II. No problems and excellent picture and sound quality.

The only drawback is if you are doing high-end art, photography and video or music recording/editing. Those aren't there yet. But I have full confidence they will one day in the near future. The gear inside these has become exceptionally high end over the past couple of years and most of that is not needed for the everyday functions. So they are gearing up to move forward.

There are also plenty of low-cost and free apps you can put on for more rudimentary forms of the photo, video and audio end. And they work exceptionally well. If you're not on the high-pro end, you can get great stuff.

Seriously look into it.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
I use a chromebook as my portable computer and it is great. Very little that I can't do on it and it is about 5 years old and just ran out of google support. I would recommend a chromebook for anyone who just needs to do general computing.

Windows 10 was horror show for years. I just recently upgraded my Windows 7 machines to 10 only because there were no more security updates for 7. All in all it isn't that bad. It is actually pretty stable and runs well on my old hardware. I did install an SSD and that helps tremendously. You can delay feature updates up to 3 months if you like. This alows you to put the updates off long enough for MS to fix the updates. Having said that, so far, knock on wood, I haven't had any major snafus since upgrading. That was not the case for years after 10 came out.

ppfd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks all.
Main uses are everyday internet use, paper writing for classes.
Im not heavy into photography, nor do I make music.
New interest is ham radio in which most programs run on windows.

Never gave chromebooks much thought. Any sites I can go to and read up on them?

jaymandude

Reaction score
I use a chromebook as my portable computer and it is great. Very little that I can't do on it and it is about 5 years old and just ran out of google support. I would recommend a chromebook for anyone who just needs to do general computing.

Windows 10 was horror show for years. I just recently upgraded my Windows 7 machines to 10 only because there were no more security updates for 7. All in all it isn't that bad. It is actually pretty stable and runs well on my old hardware. I did install an SSD and that helps tremendously. You can delay feature updates up to 3 months if you like. This alows you to put the updates off long enough for MS to fix the updates. Having said that, so far, knock on wood, I haven't had any major snafus since upgrading. That was not the case for years after 10 came out.
See... that's why, as much as I want to move from Apple I can't. I get the hate, I'm right there Even tho every Mc product I've had has lasted for years, like at least 10-12. I'm still using my iphone 4S and typing on a 10 years old MacBook now. But I need to turn on something and just have it work. It's never seemed that way with MS and PC's. Correct me if I'm wrong please. Every time I think about a Surface tablet ( $$$$) or a HP Laptop i just go "nope"

Last edited:

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
To me, the biggest issue is interoperability with the device that’s in my pocket or hand 18 hours a day. The phone I use is inarguably the best. “Oh, it no longer has a headphone jack!” Right, it doesn’t have an input for a cassette player either because 2020 is a wireless world. Get over it!
PS: Sonic the Hedgehog and other games do not interest me in the slightest.

Last edited:

MrYikes

Reaction score
This thread is timely, the fan on my HP laptop is starting to make noise, so I will be looking for something in the near future.

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks all.
Main uses are everyday internet use, paper writing for classes.
Im not heavy into photography, nor do I make music.
New interest is ham radio in which most programs run on windows.

Never gave chromebooks much thought. Any sites I can go to and read up on them?
These are the sites I frequent. Great info on here. As far as writing goes, you're covered with a Chromebook. I've written entire books on Google Docs, which is free to anyone with a gmail address.

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
People still use wired headphones?
Am I wrong that the jack is not just for headphones? Say you are listening to a podcast or some music and want to connect it to your stereo system for better sound?

Thin Shell hit the nail square on the head when he said that Apple is all form over function now.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
My step son, who is a huge gamer is buying an Alienware laptop for about 2k. I recommend a Dell from Costco (I get all my pc based laptops and desktops there) and he shot me down immediately. He said the Alienwares are built for gaming and gave great video cards. I said OK, whatever, it’s your money. Obviously I’m not a gamer but do a lot of video and audio editing and Dells do me just fine. Get as much memory as you can. 16 gb is preferable. Good luck.