OT. NFL needs to change the rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
Just watched the Pats vs KC and the Pats were robbed of not 1 but 2 touchdowns and would have won the game. Plus an obvious pass interference play.
Not dissing on the Chiefs, but I am dissing on the NFL.

Flags were thrown, then the refs say....no foul was committed...HUH ?

A games' outcome decided by refs....not good.

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I agree wholeheartedly. The officiating was horrible. And it seems to be getting worse. They should replace all the Refs with robots. Get rid of all of them. I’m not kidding.

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
If we have video and instant replay which we do, the right call should prevail. not limited to 2 challenges etc.
Would make for a better game.

dsop

Reaction score
I agree. They should use NHL rules, and wear skates, and play on ice. With all the requisite equipment. And stop calling it football. A foot hardly ever touches the ball.

Doof

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The game is becoming unwatchable. Not only from today’s game mentioned, but the numerous examples in recent years of “not having control of the ball through the completion on the play” that has resulted in some spectacular plays being called back (Calvin Johnson for the Lions years ago seemed to be the start of the ridiculous calls).

Regardless of the hatred for the Pats out there, they got screwed today. Their offence used to be able to work through it, but not this year.

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah, given the vast number of times it's seemed as if the refs were the "12th man" for the Pats it's going to be hard for me to even get my tiny violin out of its case. Pats fans: Now you know what it's like to see your team get screwed by the refs. Welcome to the NFL. This is what a lot of teams feel like a lot of the time.

But really-- unwatchable is right. I've more or less stopped watching it entirely, though I do check in.

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
I know outside of New England the Pats aren't well liked if not hated, thats because they win so much, not because they get calls turned their way
but by excellent play and excellent coaching. BUT in any game if a play is called not a touchdown and replay shows it is CLEARLY a touchdown.
Then that should be the call. Hey refs are human and have to make split second calls and most of the time they are right.

But yesterdays game they were not...multiple times.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This is a discussion that occurs each year. It has been around since the 60s that I can recall.
Just one example ... there were the HUGE casts on the hands and arms of the Raiders during the 70s that were utilized in the faces of opponents ... leaving a trail of blood and bruised eyes ... with no calls by the officials. There were touchdowns given and taken away year after year after year. How many teams did not make it to the Super Bowl because of a bad call or a no call in the two or three playoff games leading up to it over the years? Too many that I recall. The Saints are still pissed. Lots of bad officiating over the years.
As far as the Pats are concerned ... they were involved in several examples of cheating over the years. The dislike does not stem from the amount of wins. No one likes a cheater.
Personally, I have respect for the owner and the quarterback ... but it is their off-field activities that I admire.
If it bothers a person, there are other sports to enjoy.
I have not watched an NFL football game in years. Honestly, it was not an officiating decision that turned it off here. That is an offline discussion.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I never hear of Refs getting fired or benched. I think that should be changed, review tapes and hand out suspensions Tuesday morning for bad calls, I bet they get better or get replaced. This is the pros, think Brady would keep his job if he started to suck? It seems to be almost deliberate this year to not overturn calls on the field, especially PI, I've seen some very blatant calls not get reversed for PI. Basketball is just as bad last week there was a dunk for Houston that didn't count even after review (I didn't mind since it helped the Spurs but still) I think the games move to fast for the refs, in college football all reviews come from upstairs and doesn't seem to slow the game down too much I think that is how the NFL should be handled. Then speed up the game by not having the clock stop for out of bounds except in last 2:00 minutes of each half.

bigbonzo

DFO Master
Reaction score
I never hear of Refs getting fired or benched. I think that should be changed, review tapes and hand out suspensions Tuesday morning for bad calls, I bet they get better or get replaced.
I suspect that if that happens you will have less people wanting to become refs. If that happens you will end up with lower quality refs, creating a bigger problem. Though, I could be wrong.

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
All good and interesting points here. What I am saying is refs are human, fine. The plays are quick and calls can be close.
BUT if a play is clearly called wrong, it should be reversed. Then a team cant say, the refs cost us the game.

stuart s

Reaction score
drums > football

drummers > whiney overpaid cheating fouling football players

Status
Not open for further replies.