header.nohb.html

OT - On hating Nickleback...

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
Pearl is like the Nickleback of drum kits. It's cool to hate them but there's really no reason to.
So this vid pinged on my YT feed.

I've seen segments from this show and it's not anything I'd go out of my way to follow but there's a point here that is I think important to consider. Things, memes have a way of sprouting legs and running off for no real reason.

Having said that I'm not crazy about Nickleback but I don't hate them. Their first CD is pretty... half decent but anything after that is just butt rock but it's not horrible.

Discuss!

Pat A Flafla

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I just truly dislike their music.
I've always had an aversion to stripper rock, especially when it started flirting with something closer to my heart: metal.
So at that time lots of stripper rock bands seemed to be converging on my turf, with Nickelback leading the assault.

Steech

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just truly dislike their music.
I've always had an aversion to stripper rock, especially when it started flirting with something closer to my heart: metal.
So at that time lots of stripper rock bands seemed to be converging on my turf, with Nickelback leading the assault.
Can’t say that I’ve ever heard of the term stripper rock before but I can kinda see what you mean. But are Nickelback really stripper rock?

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can’t say that I’ve ever heard of the term stripper rock before but I can kinda see what you mean. But are Nickelback really stripper rock?
Definitely Stripper rock ….YUKK
It’s also Butt Rock .
Buttheads listen to it ..

Music for the mindless sheeple I call it .

Hypercaffium

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't hate them, I don't like most of their music and I must say there's plenty of reasons why some people hate them. Just take any song by them and read the lyrics. :D

prodigy4299

Reaction score
I don't hate them, I don't like most of their music and I must say there's plenty of reasons why some people hate them. Just take any song by them and read the lyrics. :D
Reading the lyrics of a rock song. A dangerous proposition at the best of times. :icon_lol: I was driving last night and a random Mick Jagger song came on Spotify. The lyrics were so cringe I actually laughed out loud...

And don't get me started about my favourite band, the Red Hot Chili Peppers:

I know, I know for sure
Ding ding, dong dong, ding ding, dong dong, ding ding
I know, I know it's you
Ding ding, dong dong, ding ding, dong dong, ding ding

Bmusic

Reaction score
I don’t hate them, but they were the subject of something funny I read on the Internet once…

Warning: if you see a link to download the new album by Nickelback, don’t click on it! It contains a link to download the new album by Nickelback.

As for the music itself, it holds zero interest for me. Just not my thing. Can’t say why I kind of like Stone Temple Pilots and I don’t like Nickelback, but there it is.

rsmittee

Reaction score
The video makes me like them more. As long as I can remember, I never loved or hated a band. It always came down to the song. I like some songs. Others not so much. Some bands make lots of songs I like, others not so much. I like a few Nickelback songs. Never really understood the hate until now.

Reaction score
I like the music and won’t apologize for it.

The lyrics can be right in the feels, like this one:

'Cause nobody wants to go it on their own
And everyone wants to know they're not alone
There's somebody else that feels the same somewhere
There's gotta be somebody for me out there

Chad’s voice might not be for everyone, but the hating is unexcused for and always makes me feel the one who is bashing is insecure about things in life.

I always notice people keep bashing them are using the 21 year old song “How You Remind Me” as prime example (and even that song wasn’t as bad as it has been given credit for).

But alas.

1664351780780.jpeg

Last edited:

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
So this vid pinged on my YT feed.

I've seen segments from this show and it's not anything I'd go out of my way to follow but there's a point here that is I think important to consider. Things, memes have a way of sprouting legs and running off for no real reason.

Having said that I'm not crazy about Nickleback but I don't hate them. Their first CD is pretty... half decent but anything after that is just butt rock but it's not horrible.

Discuss!

Sad really! A similar hate phenomenon happened to the Beatles, IIRC. It’s seems that humans have a regrettable capacity for group hatred. It’s as though people think that joining in a hatefest legitimizes them. It’s a form of tribalism.

Funny, I’ve heard of Nickelback, but I’m not familiar with their songs, not even the song that was supposedly massively overplayed. Never heard of it before!

Lamontsdad

DFO Star
Reaction score
Quarterfront isn’t terrible, but I don’t love them and they really don’t inspire any emotion, whether love or hate. I don’t turn the channel like I do with Beyonde or that one chick with the WAP song or even Pink Floyd. Elevator music=Quarterfront. Meh.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Nickleback haven’t had a cheating hit since 2010, haven’t played live in over three years and have barely toured the U.S. in recent memory.

Why now the preoccupation with Nickleback.

Oh sure, they’ve always been overproduced, every song sounds the same and I doubt that their drummer’s name has ever been mentioned on this forum … but the question remains … Are they worth discussing.

As for the guy who claims they’re better than Beyoncé, Nickleback is to Beyoncé what a puddle is to the Atlantic Ocean.

FWIW, I hate Coldplay much more for their weak-tea compositions, furious guitar strumming when we hear only keyboards and the fact I can’t shop in a supermarket without hearing “Yellow.”

Last edited:

Ludwig4life

Reaction score
My first concert was nickelback

I will say with no shame it was a great show and their drummer had an above average drum solo that was well thought out and covered a variety of techniques

Now, could I name a song no. Could I name his name no.

But that’s the beauty of being nickelbacks drummer. Huge audiences, fans out the ass, money coming in from all your stupid radio hits.

I think a lot of the hate just comes from the jealousy that people can make simple minded music that’s tight and concise with no risks and make a mess ton of money doing it

Nevertheless writing a pop hit is a skill and one they’ve managed to do over and over.

If it’s so easy you do it