header.nohb.html

OT - On hating Nickleback...

FlowTom

Reaction score
I just feel bad for Nickel Creek, who get hated on purely by accident because their name is so similar.

I've gotten the two band names mixed up myself.

But that isn't as bad as when I was at a kids birthday party and got Rosenshontz mixed up with Mummenschanz.

Steech

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quarterfront isn’t terrible, but I don’t love them and they really don’t inspire any emotion, whether love or hate. I don’t turn the channel like I do with Beyonde or that one chick with the WAP song or even Pink Floyd. Elevator music=Quarterfront. Meh.
I’ve always preferred Pennyside myself.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
This topic came up two years ago, but with less of a "clickbait" headline!

cplueard

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I personally enjoy Limp Bizkit a lot and think they're musically one of the best acts from the late 90's-2000's transition. Though if I had the money to get all their original tracks and completely redo all the lyrics/vocals I'd do it. I'd imagine a lot of people would have a different opinion on the quality their work if not for Durst. No comment on the success of it due to him though.

Honestly I think two of the main reasons Nickelback gets a lot of hate is their strive for absolute studio/writing perfection and them being about 5 years behind Creed and really only hitting their stride right as Creed fell. Kroeger has gone on the record multiple times talking about doing his damndest to figure out what successful songs were doing and how to make their work utilize it as much as possible which really helped launch them hard with Silver Side Up. It was like someone made a slightly softer and more pop Creed and that was a direction Creed wasn't handling well themselves.

I think a fundamental problem occurs when your formula is looking back at what was successful and emulating it too closely. It's already a somewhat soulless venture from a creative standpoint to simply make music simply based on trying to make the most popular thing. But once the successful songs they were emulating were their own songs they became some sort of pop-rock ouroboros that simply consumed and rehashed the most successful elements of songs they already made. it's easy to consume and not "bad" but at some point people will subconsciously realize that these "Potato chip flavored potato chips" are; in fact, just potato chips dusted with a seasoning made from the previous batch of chips.

Not that Nickelback is alone in this venture of self emulation. ACDC as well as many others have gotten away with it for years. I think much like any other band that doesn't reinvent themselves in some way people got tired after a couple years and the same time people were getting tired was when meme culture was getting legs. They were one of the earliest music memes to stick since they were everywhere so it was relatable to most everybody.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't kill the messenger .

People don't know how to deal with their resentment about N.B.'s success, so they focus it on the band instead of questioning the cultural Siberia they inhabit .

Last edited: