header.nohb.html

OT - On hating Nickleback...

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
And they have tickets to the tribute band show at the club Saturday night !!!
12F3CA68-C435-4CD5-8AB4-24DB3B6E6010.png

RBagg454

Reaction score
You
So this vid pinged on my YT feed.

I've seen segments from this show and it's not anything I'd go out of my way to follow but there's a point here that is I think important to consider. Things, memes have a way of sprouting legs and running off for no real reason.

Having said that I'm not crazy about Nickleback but I don't hate them. Their first CD is pretty... half decent but anything after that is just butt rock but it's not horrible.

Discuss!

You know, I've never listened to Nickleback, have no idea what they sound like....but man the abuse and dislike they inspire....now I need to listen to them to see what all the commotion is about.

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
You
You know, I've never listened to Nickleback, have no idea what they sound like....but man the abuse and dislike they inspire....now I need to listen to them to see what all the commotion is about.
I'd call them your average butt rock band. I don't hate them, I have a couple of their CD's and leader of men is a kick-arse song but I'm not a fan.

Jay-Dee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I feel like I'm going to get the clap just from listening to 2 seconds of this garbage to copy/paste this link.
Stripper rock is gross.

Ha ha, it would definitely be fair to say that's not one of their better efforts lyrically. Somehow though, I can't help but think they were dying laughing amongst themselves when that managed to get on to the radio.

Last edited:

Jhouse86

Reaction score
I've never disliked them. Not all of their songs really do it for me, but I can say that about almost every band. Being a hated Rockstar isn't the worst thing in the world. It's obviously not the worst paying gig either. They're all great musicians, their drummer Daniel Adair is actually damn good!

michaelocalypse

Reaction score
I've seen a couple variations of posts on bird app recently saying something like "[insert band here] deserves the hate that Nickleback gets" or something along those lines. The bands mentioned are Maroon 5 and Imagine Dragons. I don't disagree with those sentiments.

As far as Nickleback goes, I have always maintained that they do have some good songs and they're good musicians. As with any band that makes it to mainstream radio play levels: They're mostly putting out soulless pop garbage that's overly sterilized and formulaic. He mentions this in the video, but I don't think it's unique to Nickleback. They were one of the last radio bands I gave a shot at and bought a couple CDs. I liked a few of the non-radio songs, but ultimately hated the radio stuff so much that the CDs ended up in a box in a corner under other boxes, never to be played again. Maybe one day I'll dig them back out and play them along with Gin Blossoms and Cracker for funsies. The big hit songs mentioned in the video I genuinely find to be irritating. Always have, always will. If you like them, great. I used to turn the radio off and listen to my little 4 cylinder truck ping and knock instead. I do the same thing for a lot of other music though, so I still agree that they're hated more than they should be.

That being said, I like Brian Posehn and I find it incredibly hilarious that his joke made Nickleback a household name while nobody knows who Brian Posehn is.

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
In a perfect world, all the vitriol being heaped on Nickleback in this thread would instead by dumped on Supertramp.

Vitriol?

I'd hazard to suggest the general consensus is that the majority really doesn't "hate" Nickleback, they're just indifferent about them.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
"Nickleback is very awful."

"Buttheads listen to it ... Music for the mindless sheeple."

"There's plenty of reasons some people hate it."

Plenty of commenters were a bit more than indifferent.