OT: Opeth - In Cauda Venenum

bigbonzo

DFO Master
Reaction score
I picked up Opeth's newest CD's last night. I'm torn. Seems that it is a big turn around from their previous stuff. Seems to be a lot mellower.

One CD is in their native Swedish and the second is in English, with subtle differences between the two.

I am a big fan. I saw them a few years ago, and will be seeing them again in February.

How many of you guys have gotten this CD? What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
I picked up the newest Opeth CD last night. I'm torn. It is a big turn around from their previous stuff. Seems to be a lot mellower.

One CD is in there native Swedish and the second is in English, with subtle differences between the two.

I am a big fan. I saw them a few years ago, and will be seeing them again in February.

I will listen today during my workout and let you know.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
I picked up the newest Opeth CD last night. I'm torn. It is a big turn around from their previous stuff. Seems to be a lot mellower.

One CD is in their native Swedish and the second is in English, with subtle differences between the two.

It's a death metal/prog rock album. I only listen to the Swedish version, and I really like it.

ppfd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My favorite band, haven't picked this up yet. I thought the last 2 releases were more "easy listening". Missed seeing Opeth a few years ago when they played the Goodyear Theater in Akron.

I found a band very similar to Opeth on the Premier drum site the other day.
The Fjords - they have a band camp page.

Wxmaggot

Reaction score
I have the album and I love it. I see this album as a slight nod to their more aggressive tunes at times. It's definitely "heavier", maybe slightly less proggy, relative to Sorceress and Pale Communion. These guys have been one of my favorite metal bands for decades. I am sad that we are not likely to get another Still Life or Blackwater Park, but these guys found a way to keep things fresh for themselves so I'm thankful for new Opeth any way I can get it!

bigbonzo

DFO Master
Reaction score
Man, I just can't get into this CD.

I think I know what the deal is. As with a lot of "obscure" bands the more popular they get, they more they seem to play "regular" music so that they appeal to a broader audience. That seems to be what's going on here.
There have been a couple bands that I bailed on because of that, Five Finger Death Punch being one of them.

Anyway, that's the way I see it. Glad you guys enjoy it! :headbang:

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
You think they're trying to appeal to a much broader audience with six- to nine-minute prog rock songs with lyrics in Swedish?

Bold strategy.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I got it on iTunes. I liked it. Maybe it will grow on me but I think Sorceress is better. I wonder if maybe its just me that likes the releases that have Steve Wilson's hand in the mixing, the best. I didn't see him in any of the credits listed on the bands website for In Cauda Venenum. But I did see him in the credits for my favorite Opeth releases.

I like their artist tag line on iTunes. "The world's quietest metal band? Or the world's loudest folk group?" Too funny.

ppfd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Check out "Fjords" on band camp - ode to albatross, very similar to Opeth.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I really like what I've heard. I don't have a lot of time to dedicate to really digging into an album like this though. I like that he's actually singing and the death metal growls are gone. That stuff got boring many years ago.

bigbonzo

DFO Master
Reaction score
I really like what I've heard. I don't have a lot of time to dedicate to really digging into an album like this though. I like that he's actually singing and the death metal growls are gone. That stuff got boring many years ago.
I would imagine that eventually growling takes a toll on your throat and vocal chords. Though, I don't know for sure. Maybe they're just looking for a different sound.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd never heard of Opeth until today, so I did some listening to their early work (to me, just a bunch of adolescent screaming and showoff junk) as compared to their newish material. In an hour I watched a band dramatically improve in musicianship, complexity, and maturity. I truly enjoyed the material I heard on, for example, Universal Truth.

Again, these are the thoughts of somebody totally disinterested in the band, and with absolutely zero emotional investment whatsoever. But I can certainly understand the concerns of a long-term fan who was drawn to their initial styling - there has been an unmistakable change in the band's music. To me, they simply moved from I style that I particularly dislike, to a style that I particularly enjoy.

How's that for a short-form critique? Am I way off base in the eyes of a devoted fan?

GeeDeeEmm

bigbonzo

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'd never heard of Opeth until today, so I did some listening to their early work (to me, just a bunch of adolescent screaming and showoff junk) as compared to their newish material. In an hour I watched a band dramatically improve in musicianship, complexity, and maturity. I truly enjoyed the material I heard on, for example, Universal Truth.

Again, these are the thoughts of somebody totally disinterested in the band, and with absolutely zero emotional investment whatsoever. But I can certainly understand the concerns of a long-term fan who was drawn to their initial styling - there has been an unmistakable change in the band's music. To me, they simply moved from I style that I particularly dislike, to a style that I particularly enjoy.

How's that for a short-form critique? Am I way off base in the eyes of a devoted fan?

GeeDeeEmm
No, that about sums it up.

Though, I learned to tune out the screaming of a lot of bands. I have found that many bands with screaming/growling lyricists also have technically superior instrumentalists.

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I would imagine that eventually growling takes a toll on your throat and vocal chords. Though, I don't know for sure. Maybe they're just looking for a different sound.
It's like any singing. Do it right and you're fine, do it wrong and bye bye voice. Most people don't know the difference between the right and wrong. I know I do it wrong. Haha

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
No, that about sums it up.

Though, I learned to tune out the screaming of a lot of bands. I have found that many bands with screaming/growling lyricists also have technically superior instrumentalists.
I like the screaming and growling. There are songs on blackwater park that wouldn't have the same visceral feel with out it. Everything in it's place I guess. Paradise Lost is another band that has gone on a similar sonic journey.

Latest posts