OT. Options other than Comcast

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
Hello, I know this has been brought up before, not sure if what I am looking for exists, been on the phone with Comcast for over 90 minutes have been cut off 3 times.
system not working, what I want is a much simpler system, no pairing of remotes, nothing complicated, certain cable/HBO stations just plug in and play.

Comcast/xnfyty is too much money and way too complicated.

Any options out there that fit my bill ?

Thanks, Ben

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
All media companies are the spawn of Satan. I tried to ditch TWC/spectrum for Frontier, and they stood me up three times for the install, then billed me for six months afterwards before I finally got it cleared up.
Wireless, Cable, doesn't matter. SOS.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
would Dish TV help or not sure what usage you're needing asking

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hello, I know this has been brought up before, not sure if what I am looking for exists, been on the phone with Comcast for over 90 minutes have been cut off 3 times.
system not working, what I want is a much simpler system, no pairing of remotes, nothing complicated, certain cable/HBO stations just plug in and play.

Thanks, Ben
Yous got 2 churses:
1) Da Gambinos, or
2) Da Genoveses.

Last edited:

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Me and the wife are Slingers now.

Not bad, but not perfect. You need good wi fi, and it's not good if you like to just turn the TV on and surf. Good thing is the savings though, about $100 a month.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
We had sling for a while, but random COMMERCIALS WERE STUPID LOUD. I'm not talking about annoying car dealer ad loud. I'm talking about distorting audio when the shows are at 'we're watching TV downstairs after the kid goes to bed' loud.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
We had sling for a while, but random COMMERCIALS WERE STUPID LOUD. I'm not talking about annoying car dealer ad loud. I'm talking about distorting audio when the shows are at 'we're watching TV downstairs after the kid goes to bed' loud.
Oh wow, luckily we haven't experienced that.

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
I’m just trying to think, what’s that thing at the end of an insect’s forehead? Feelers or something? And that little girl in the mermaid cartoon Walt put out a couple years ago, who was she again?

Anyway, right up on our rooftop. Cut the cord, put that sucker up and never looked back. 42 channels of local network affiliates and all their subcarriers.

Free TV, friends and neighbors, just like Grandad used ta get.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I live 20 minutes outside about three major cities in N Central NC. I wasn't able to get any on air stations. I found a coverage calculator. By their estimate we would need an antenna 31 ft high to get ANYTHING at all.

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thanks, Ben
Keep only the internet that you have with Comcast and get a good Roku. Get one for each TV if you'd like! A little hidden feature (channel) on Roku is "The Roku channel". It's free and you can watch live TV like ABC, CBS etc.. plus the Roku has tons of other free TV apps. And of course it's got paid ones as well (HBO etc..)! Only reason I have cable is because it's included in my HOA. We still use the Roku more! If my cable service wasn't included, I'd strictly have an internet connection and my Roku's. One of the pluses of the Roku is that it's easy to use: Plug it to your HDMI port, plug the power, register online and you're good to go! Here is a great video that highlights free Roku channels and also the link to the Roku website. Good luck!

Last edited:

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
if they’re in your area, Sonic is incredible. Fast, cheap, and great customer service. Strong recommend.

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips/info some I have never heard of, frustrating to want to buy something and it may not be available. Right after I posted this my internet went down for a couple of hours and it was jut my neighborhood, went outside and there was the infinity/comcast truck, asked what was wrong
he said it was trial and error, new parts being put in, finally fixed. In my opinion churning butter is more advanced.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips/info some I have never heard of, frustrating to want to buy something and it may not be available. Right after I posted this my internet went down for a couple of hours and it was jut my neighborhood, went outside and there was the infinity/comcast truck, asked what was wrong
he said it was trial and error, new parts being put in, finally fixed. In my opinion churning butter is more advanced.
You're going to have to do a deep dive like I did and learn about all the options out there. If you don't, you'll just get further behind.

The streaming services like Sling, Hulu etc. are really biting into cable's dominance. The good thing with the streaming services, all you have to do is create an account with no contracts, no boxes, nothing. If you don't like it, you can just quit and move to something else. They pretty much offer everything cable does at a much cheaper rate. If you have good wi fi, give one of them a shot, you have nothing to lose.

The only drawback for me is you can't really surf. With cable, you turn on the tv and a station is on and you start flipping stations. With streaming, a guide is the first thing that comes up and you have to pick a show or a channel to watch. And the guides, at least on Sling, are not the easiest to navigate. Not perfect, but it's pretty cheap compared to cable and no contracts.

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
I triple bundle with Comcast - HS Internet, Home phone ($9), and Xfinity TV. Just went through my 2 yr contract expiring and the rates have jumped from around $130/month to $156 then to $172. After talking with 4 reps on the phone
best I could do was a $5 reduction....LOL. I went through this 2 yrs ago and had Frontier cable installed and was about ready to do the DISH in the backyard (no holes in the roof for me) and the foot print would have been over
our garden and fence line. No thanks. But that 30 day lapse from cutting the cord with Comcast had them come back to me and offer a starter rate again ($119 + fees). So if you cut the cord and wait 90 days....you can get
another cheap entry package like a non-customer would get. But you have to cut the ties for 30-90 days.....then they know they might be losing you forever. It worked my first time. It may not work the 2nd. But I'm planning to cut the cord again
soon and use the local Library for a while. Might even have Frontier hook up the cable again for 90 days and then dump 'em if Comcast offers me a "new customer" package.

Note: If you remove any of that bundle you pay through the nose for a la cart services. HS Internet would be $119/month for me by itself. That's insane. And the phone $55 or so....more insanity. And TV probably another $100.
So there's no "inexpensive" single service from what I can see. In the package the HS Internet is probably a $40-$60 service. By itself it doubles or triples. No relief there.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
I cut the cord years ago. I tried several TV antennas and now have all the TV networks with this $55 one hung on my fence.

My subscriptions to Sling, Hulu, HBO Max and Netflix cost far less than I used to pay Time Warner cable.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Me and the wife are Slingers now.

Not bad, but not perfect. You need good wi fi, and it's not good if you like to just turn the TV on and surf. Good thing is the savings though, about $100 a month.
You still have to get your internet service from one of the 2 mafia families.

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I mentioned it before, but it's worth re-iterating: Sonic.net fiber.

If it's in your area, there's nothing even close to it.

I have 1Gbps fiber internet (which translates to actual symmetrical speeds in excess of 600Mbps during peak hours) and phone service.

$63/month total cost, all fees + taxes (California) included.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mentioned it before, but it's worth re-iterating: Sonic.net fiber.

If it's in your area, there's nothing even close to it.

I have 1Gbps fiber internet (which translates to actual symmetrical speeds in excess of 600Mbps during peak hours) and phone service.

$63/month total cost, all fees + taxes (California) included.
I have no idea what you're talking about...but it sounds great! :blink:

:lol: