OT. Options other than Comcast

dcrigger

DFO Star
Reaction score
We just did the same thing - YoutubeTV, that it.

If the goal here is for the simplest system, hardware-wise, one remote, etc... Then pairing a smart TV up with something like YouTubeTV is pretty slick.

We have YouTubeTV, Amazon Prime Video and Disney Plus all running, right on the TV (a Sony Android model) - and obviously could add Premium channels and other streaming services easily

Hwy61

Reaction score
Hello, I know this has been brought up before, not sure if what I am looking for exists, been on the phone with Comcast for over 90 minutes have been cut off 3 times.
system not working, what I want is a much simpler system, no pairing of remotes, nothing complicated, certain cable/HBO stations just plug in and play.

Comcast/xnfyty is too much money and way too complicated.

Any options out there that fit my bill ?

Thanks, Ben
I had basic Comcast. $76.00/ month. It sucked because we didn’t have sports channels. My wife is frugal. But I had been sick and tired of the medicine commercials All-day-long for a long time. Finally cut the cord. Got a modem and a Roku. Now about $60.00. / month. I can watch any you tube video and many many movies at no extra charge. Without paying for the premium services you do get commercials ( some are about Medicare ) but you can “skip”many of them before they’re finished with press of a button. You can sign up for many premium services if you want to such as Hulu. I saw the college national baseball playoffs at no extra charge streamed on you tube. Sometimes you get buffering or inconsistency but I’m very happy with it.

mcjaco

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Xfinity/Comcast Basic Blast internet is $65/month. Hulu/YouTubeTV/fubu Live TV all $65/month......so you have to decide. $130/month just for those two services. I'm dropping Hulu. I just don't watch live tv anymore. I have Disney+ (bought in early at the 3 year subscription which was about $7/month), HBOMax, Netflix, Prime, Xfinity Flex with Peacock (free with internet from xfinity). I find it keeps me entertained.

I love sports which is why i'm struggling with wanting to drop Hulu. Other than it not having the Marque Network for Cubs games (who are a lost cause anyway), Hulu us fantastic for a sports fan.

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Options other than comcast.......

bottle full of sleeping pills.
slitting your wrists.
running car in closed garage.

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Every time I’ve tried to bring my cable bill down with Optimum, they find some charge gimmick they throw back on. I’m going down to one box in my home, basic cable, internet and phone and it’s still at $180 a month.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Every time I’ve tried to bring my cable bill down with Optimum, they find some charge gimmick they throw back on. I’m going down to one box in my home, basic cable, internet and phone and it’s still at $180 a month.
I feel your pain!

But there are a lot of options out there, non-cable, that can save you a lot of money. It just requires some adjustments as to how you've been watching TV all your life. Nothing insurmountable, but it's an adjustment for sure.

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Truth be told Jimmy, I spend more time reading than viewing. I’m calmer that way. Cause it was so crazy I didn’t know what was truth and what was fiction. I’m better not watching. My wife on the other hand, is the reason I have this monstrosity in my living room at all.

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well, over the weekend our Tivo DVR took a dump. This is the the third time in two years we lost all of our recordings, this time I didn't get to see the end of the Bears game, a second half comeback win from 13-0. So I reinstalled my antenna for my shop and porch tv and signed up to YouTube TV. We like it so far, really dig the unlimited cloud space for recording shows. And they offer so many sports channels I doubt I will miss any Illinois games.
Ended up with 32 channels over the antenna, all the locals and more. So I recommend looking at YouTube tv and considering an antenna for the dumb tv's.

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ok, so we canceled the cable TV but had to keep the internet. So all Said and done we are saving -14.00 per month. YouTube cost more!

robthetimekeeper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Question for all the cable cutters: How do you watch Jeopardy or the news? I don't know if I could give up my DVR. I don't watch ads ever.