ot: Our FOOD SUPPLY outlook

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Our nation's food supply is strong, according to this New York Times article.

Here's a few excerpts:

"Retailers say the frenzy started about two weeks ago, when customers could not find hand sanitizers and wipes, which were actually in short supply. But that set off a wave of panic buying that spread in recent days to include bread, canned goods, milk and frozen food.

These items are moving through the supply chain, but cannot reach the stores quickly enough so retailers have asked suppliers to produce more."

"The aisles and aisles of empty store shelves give the appearance that the United States, improbably and alarmingly, is running out of food. But the nation’s biggest retailers, dairy farmers and meat producers say that isn’t so. The food supply chain, they say, remains intact and has been ramping up to meet the unprecedented stockpiling brought on by the coronavirus pandemic.

Even so, shoppers can most likely expect to see empty shelves intermittently, as the nation’s network of food producers, distributors and retailers are stretched as never before. Industries that are calibrated to supply consumers with just enough of what they need on a given day cannot keep up with a nationwide surge of relentless shopping fueled in large part by fear."

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Total idiocy to even have to print that.
The Unites States short of food??? Seriously???
Good grief.
"journalism" ... yup.

tris66

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Stock piling? No. Do I always have a few months of supplies on hand? Yes. Anybody who has paid attention to even recent history of floods, tornadoes, hurricanes, political upheaval, etc should have this figured out.
Total idiocy to even have to print that.
The Unites States short of food??? Seriously???
Good grief.
"journalism" ... yup.
I agree that the fear mongering needs to stop. And: You may wish to look into the facts on where the food in the US comes from. The percentage that comes from out of country is very high. Last time I read up on this the average food product on the shelves travels 1500 miles. "On time" supply chains are also another fact that people do not take into account. Generally, there are no local warehouses like there were 30+ years ago. Food supplies are trucked in daily. Stores in the average city have enough food on hand for about 3 days.
Once again, history will teach you that life is a bitch. Americans think it can't happen here.... all empires and civilizations fall.

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
We have more than usual, but nothing like hoarding .

I actually bought canned food I haven't considered for decades - stuff everybody's mum used to have in the kitchen . You know, the stuff health food stores warned us about . Sardines,tuna,salmon,corned beef Kraft Dinner etc .

Wouldn't hurt to have a 5 gallon jug of gas handy and a good assortment of CC CCC AA AAA batteries .

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Stock piling? No. Do I always have a few months of supplies on hand? Yes. Anybody who has paid attention to even recent history of floods, tornadoes, hurricanes, political upheaval, etc should have this figured out.

I agree that the fear mongering needs to stop. And: You may wish to look into the facts on where the food in the US comes from. The percentage that comes from out of country is very high. Last time I read up on this the average food product on the shelves travels 1500 miles. "On time" supply chains are also another fact that people do not take into account. Generally, there are no local warehouses like there were 30+ years ago. Food supplies are trucked in daily. Stores in the average city have enough food on hand for about 3 days.
Once again, history will teach you that life is a bitch. Americans think it can't happen here.... all empires and civilizations fall.
My main home is at the foothills of the Ouichita Mountains. If a person wants food, they can open a door and shoot it. Or, if you are like me ... a veggie ... you walk out and pick it.
Food is plentiful.
Good food isn’t found on a store shelf or in the freezer section.
The America’s have an abundance of food.

As to the fall of civilization ... who has denied that?
Of course, ALL eventually fall ... or more appropriately ... pass on into the next.
Knowing we have an abundance of food has nothing to do with the fall of a country. Not sure where that came from.

jsp210

Reaction score
Maybe so but I'm looking beyond the immediate time horizon to become more resilient locally, as in my own land and community. Folks can do it in urban areas as well.

Erik

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I admit that I have a bit more rice, canned veggies & beans and other "staples" than usual. Not from a fear of running out, but staying away from the grocery as much as possible. I have not shopped since last Thursday, but I drive by that store on my way home. Everyday the parking lot is at max and I have even seen cars parked in the center median on the road. It sounds like today is the 1st day that the # of people allowed to enter the store is being managed.

Old PIT Guy

Reaction score
Seems reasonable that with a just in time supply line if enough customers buy several weeks worth of food the shelves will empty and stay that way periodically. Very little to nothing is produced locally beyond produce in rural areas, and that's not enough to supply a large urban grocery store. The real problems will occur when extreme weather and swings in precipitation/drought is the new normal.

tris66

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My main home is at the foothills of the Ouichita Mountains. If a person wants food, they can open a door and shoot it. Or, if you are like me ... a veggie ... you walk out and pick it.
Food is plentiful.
Good food isn’t found on a store shelf or in the freezer section.
The America’s have an abundance of food.

As to the fall of civilization ... who has denied that?
Of course, ALL eventually fall ... or more appropriately ... pass on into the next.
Knowing we have an abundance of food has nothing to do with the fall of a country. Not sure where that came from.
I'm in Montana. I have a reasonable ability for self sustainability. I engage in agricultural activities even on the professional level.
During the Great Depression a high percentage of the population were rural, yet an estimated 7 million starved. The MT FWP (if I remember correctly) did a documentary that played on PBS on the reintroduction of "game" animals in the state. Subsistence hunting had brought the populations down to extremely low levels up to WWII. There was an interview on that documentary with two old fellows that had been kids in the Great Depression living in the Lewiston, MT area. They stated that there was so few deer at that time that if they even saw tracks in a full day of hunting they would get excited.... In a sparsley populated part of a sparsley populated state... the 4th largest state. So what? Just more historical data to consider. Our society has become specialized to the point where the average person is so far removed from the understanding and ability to function outside of a complex system that runs on very thin environmental margins.
My comment on civilization collapse was simply to point out the bigger picture. Nomality isn't always normal. Search "Year without a summer."

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The most irritating part of all of this is the sanctimonious hill people acting like living in the sticks makes them special; as if civilization peaked during the time of the hunter-gatherers. "You poor city dwellers with your movie theaters and international cuisine and art festivals and sports teams and hospitals and museums." Gimme a break.

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
I bought some frozen dinners. Bought a little extra meat to freeze, mainly because of eating in more. I was concerned about blood pressure medicine. They didn't let me buy early, but I got a 3 month supply on regular schedule. I always have a good supply of TP and paper towels. Just hate running out. I did fill up 3 cars with gas.

moodman

Lone Wolf
Reaction score
We have 2 freezers with just our normal stuff, things we process and freeze from our garden etc. That is enough to last months.

Status
Not open for further replies.