OT: Podcasts Anyone?

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
I’m new to Podcasts. I really like Joe Rogan’s series.

Any other recommendations?

Thx

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
With guests like Bill Bruford, Phil Collins and Danny Caery, the Trap Set with Joe Wong is the best drumming podcast, period. https://www.thetrapset.net/past-episodes/

I have interests outside drumming and listen to lots of podcasts, including:

1. Cold War Conversations (about the history of the Communist world in Europe 1945-1989).
  2. The Film Vault (couple of guys talking movies).
  3. Doug Loves Movies (comedians compete in games involving movie knowledge).
  4. The Metal Hammer (magazine) Podcast.
  5. The BBC F1 Chequered Flag Podcast.
  6. The Glass Case of Emotion featuring NASCAR driver Ryan Blaney. (Observations on society).
  7. Last Podcast on the Left (true crime and conspiracy)
  8. Rock Solid (classic rock appreciation).

Last edited:

Neal Pert

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Among my favorites:
  • The Daily: Really good deep dives on up-to-the-minute issues
  • On Being: God/Religion/Spirituality stuff.
  • WTF with Marc Maron
  • The Argument: Ross Douthat, David Leonhart, and Michele Goldberg (NYT)
  • Broken Record: Great music podcast w/ Malcome Gladwell and, more importantly, Rick Rubin.
  • Tricycle Talks: Buddhist stuff. Can be too self-helpy.
  • Radiolab: Intersection of science and life stuff. Often riveting.
  • Art of Manliness: Corny title, but he's got some great interviews.
  • The Opus: Deep dives on albums.

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Joe Wong's The Trapset is the gold standard of music podcasts for me [drum focused initially but has branched out]. Very NPR like, a great conversationalist and knows a great about who he's talking to.

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Since you said Joe Rogan then I don't think were are limited to drumming podcasts unless in addition to dismantling the great Brazilian Jiu Jitsu practitioners Eddie Bravo has stated playing the drums.

Is Rogan a Podcast? I think of him more as a syndicated radio show. Either way, I consider him a disinformation agent. You simply do not get that type of platform if you are speaking any real truth to power. Very charismatic fellow though. I am well aware of how influential he is because of the sheer amount of people who mention him, his show and the topics he covers to me.

My favorite Podcasts are:

Crimetown. This focuses on The Patriarca Crime family out of Providence Rhode Island and their association with mayor Buddy Cianci. If you have ever been to Atwells Avenue for a systems hot dog and a coffee milk and a quick stop at the Foxy Lady then this is a must listen, full of intrigue and an unbelievable cast of characters.

Someone Knows Something. This is on Canadian Public Radio and seems to be some of the finest examples of feet on the ground, investigative journalism on cold case files out there. Multiply cases and multiple episodes per case. David Ridgen brings these case to life.

The Serial Podcast, season one. Even if it is a massive Gas Lighting operation, Sarah Koenig podcast on the murder of Hae Min Lee and the subsequent arrest, interrogation and conviction of her ex boyfriend Adnan Syed is one of the most fascinating stories ever told in a podcast and has spawned many a conversation in my household trying to figure it out.

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I only listen to one podcast that isn't true crime.

Hardcore History (Dan Carlin does deep dives on all sorts of historical subjects; WWI, the Achaemenid Persian Empire, the 16th century Anabaptist rebellion in Muenster, and it's all fascinating)
Last Podcast on the Left (serial killers, alien abductions, and everything in between; equal parts hilarious and vulgar)
My Favorite Murder (from small town murders to infamous serial killers, also hilarious, also vulgar)
Small Town Dicks (hosted by Yeardley Smith (the voice of Lisa Simpson) and two anonymous police detectives who discuss their past cases, while bringing other detectives and law enforcement professionals on to do the same)
Atlanta Monster (goes over the Atlanta Child Murders of 1979-1981 and the convicted murderer suspected of the crimes who was never charged in the case)
Confronting: OJ Simpson (Ron Goldman's sister, Kim, discusses the unimaginable grief of having a brother murdered, the trial, and the lifelong burden that comes from it all)

Johnny K

Reaction score
Drum History Podcast
Blues Unlimited
Dumb People Town
Gilbert Gottfried's Amazing Colossal Podacast
The Modern Drummer Podcast with Mike and Mike
2 Minute Jazz
Stuff You Missed In History Class
Disgracland
How Did This Get Made
Monday Morning with Bill Burr
The Adam Corolla Show
The Dennis Miller Option

I left off the political ones.

Last edited:

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Jazz Insights with Dr. Gordon Vernick
Who Stole My Underwear
Bacon - The Man's Meat
Did Shakespeare Really Date The Pope?
I Was A Teenager In Love
Cats - Man's Best Friend
Quilting With Imelda Marcos
P Verses NP and NPR

Last edited:

Beefsurgeon

Reaction score
I only listen to one podcast that isn't true crime.

Hardcore History (Dan Carlin does deep dives on all sorts of historical subjects; WWI, the Achaemenid Persian Empire, the 16th century Anabaptist rebellion in Muenster, and it's all fascinating)
Last Podcast on the Left (serial killers, alien abductions, and everything in between; equal parts hilarious and vulgar)
My Favorite Murder (from small town murders to infamous serial killers, also hilarious, also vulgar)
Small Town Dicks (hosted by Yeardley Smith (the voice of Lisa Simpson) and two anonymous police detectives who discuss their past cases, while bringing other detectives and law enforcement professionals on to do the same)
Atlanta Monster (goes over the Atlanta Child Murders of 1979-1981 and the convicted murderer suspected of the crimes who was never charged in the case)
Confronting: OJ Simpson (Ron Goldman's sister, Kim, discusses the unimaginable grief of having a brother murdered, the trial, and the lifelong burden that comes from it all)
+1 for Hardcore History. The episodes are very long, so it pairs well with road trips.

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I can't believe no one has mentioned Sterloid Speaks. Aaron Sterling's podcast is GOLD. Listen to all of them right now. And by right now, I mean stop reading this and LISTEN!

speady1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Our own Speedy has one called The Drum Shuffle...

Jamie has become quite the interviewer....
Thank you, Dave. I'm just a guy that tries to get the backstory on great drummers. I've been blessed to have some of the best in the business talk to me about their lives and their playing. It's a fun hobby that keeps me out of trouble.

The Drum Shuffle for anyone interested in checking it out. Many thanks in advance.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
David Allen Coe's son does one called Cocaine and Rhinestones about country music performers and related,incredibly well researched,with transcpripts also.

Was going to recommend this...It's really good, I think he was going to do some on rock and roll as well.

Edit: haven't listened to it but heard it's good "Your Band Sucks"

Latest posts