OT: Podcasts Anyone?

stevil

Reaction score
I wish the Trap Set would spend more time on drumming and music. A lot of it feels like psychotherapy. But he scores amazing guests, and it's still good despite my criticism.

For fans of heavier music I recommend "Crash Bang Boom." Hosted by a guy living in NYC, he interviews a lot of great players from the metal/noise rock/hardcore underground. It's pretty good.

For comedy, I LOVE The Beef and Dairy Network Podcast. It's absurdist and brilliant - make sure to start at episode one and listen sequentially.

f.stahlenius

Reaction score
All interesting:

The Set Break, hosted by George Sluppick, Robert Barnett and Chad Anderson
Breakfast With Vinnie!
Song Exploder
Drum History Podcast
The Third Story Podast
The Lydian Spin (with Lydia Lunch)
IYOUWE Universe (Lenny White)
I'd Hit That
You'll Hear It - Daily Jazz Advice

Kendrum

Reaction score
Drumming related podcasts I enjoy:
Working Drummer Podcast
Breakfast with Vinnie
The Trap Set
Discussions in Percussion
Drum History
Meinl Radio
Drummers Resource
Drumeo Gab
Sterloid Talks ( Aaron Sterling)
Crash Bang Boom
The Drum Shuffle
The Mixing Board
We are Rhythm - LP
Drummers Weekly Groovecast
The 180 Drums Podcast

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Haven't listened to a lot of pod casts. Would love to find a series as good as Sh!ttown. That was pretty amazing.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
I used to love the old Car Talk NPR series but Tommy Magliozzi died in 2014. Well I found the old Car Talks are podcasts! Excellent!

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nyu steinhardt school jazz podcasts
Smalls live
A noise from the deep- dave douglas’ podcast

& You Dont Stop

Drumming Since '85
Reaction score
I've recently begun listening to the Modern Drummer podcast. My favorite part is when they play tracks from drummers they've been digging lately.

The podcast that got me hooked on podcasts is the Australian true crime program Casefile

My weekly listens include
The Skeptics Guide to the Universe
Rodderick on the Line
- random, quasi-intellectual conversations between musician John Roderick and writer Merlin Mann
You're Wrong About... -a deep dive into historic news headlines
Terrible, Thanks for asking - people sharing tales of personal tragedies
Weatherbrains - panel discussion on all things weather with an emphasis on TV weather
Gone Cold - true-crime focus on Texas cold cases

DrummersWeeklyGroovecast

Reaction score
There are a few. So far I have checked out Drummer's Resourse, and Drummer's Weekly Groovecast. I think there is a guy named Wong has one too I wanted to check out. Those two were both good.
As always, thanks for the love! The DFO support for the show has always been fantastic and I really appreciate that.

The show just began its fourth season and we're honored to have Steve Smith as our first guest. The response to this show has been off the charts despite the weird audio issues. If you haven't listened yet please give it a shot. Most are saying they've never heard Steve talk about the things we cover in this show. Just be patient with the audio and use headphones if you can. We pride ourselves on great audio quality so it was painful having to settle for the sound. However, I believe the content is worth the hassle.

Steve Smith show: https://soundcloud.com/phil-smith-592966725%2Fepisode-129-interview-steve-smith You can also find the show everywhere that podcasts are available.

Phil

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
For the Halloween season I've been listening to Ghost Hunting in New England. And then some friends of mine run the "Alright Already!" Pod cast.
Mark Maron's Podcast is pretty good. His interview with Lemmy in 2014 was great.

spaeth

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Love the "Great Albums Podcast". They just stopped doing new ones but you can go back and check out all of their old ones. Track by track info on favorite albums of theirs and their guests.

"Sound Opinions" can be pretty good too.

I really have just recently been hooked on "Everyday Driver" podcast.

"Freakonomics" is a favorite as well.

"Spikes Car Radio" can be pretty cool, very Porsche heavy content though. When Seinfeld guests it is my favorite.

"Broken Record" is another one

"Single Podcast Theory" is an all Pearl Jam podcast by a couple of goof balls that can be pretty good.

Doof

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
For the Halloween season I've been listening to Ghost Hunting in New England. And then some friends of mine run the "Alright Already!" Pod cast.
Mark Maron's Podcast is pretty good. His interview with Lemmy in 2014 was great.
A band mate shared with me the Mark Maron interview with David Lee Roth. It was fantastic, he was able to keep DLR somewhat on topic. I didn’t realize what a schooled musician Roth is.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Love the "Great Albums Podcast". They just stopped doing new ones but you can go back and check out all of their old ones. Track by track info on favorite albums of theirs and their guests.

"Sound Opinions" can be pretty good too.

I really have just recently been hooked on "Everyday Driver" podcast.

"Freakonomics" is a favorite as well.

"Spikes Car Radio" can be pretty cool, very Porsche heavy content though. When Seinfeld guests it is my favorite.

"Broken Record" is another one

"Single Podcast Theory" is an all Pearl Jam podcast by a couple of goof balls that can be pretty good.
Thanks for Spike's Car Radio. I've listened to three episodes in the three hours I've been awake today.

ppfd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Downloaded trap set, most recent piece with Bill Buford was amazing. I mean I knew who he is and whats done. But wow! Now to get his books.

I have: Snap Judgement, and spooked.
Single tracks - mountain biking
Mostly outdoors, hunting, firearms, and work related- fire/ems/nurisng

I do have working drummer, modern drummer and drummer resourse

Highly recommend the art of manliness- topics on everything and all no more than an hour.

shiek_yerbouti

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I love a good podcast!

These have already been mentioned, but Ill add my name as a fan too:
  • Marc Maron’s WTF
  • Gilbert Gottfried’s Amazing Colossal Podcast - great discussion on old movies, TV, & comedy
  • Drummer's Weekly Groovecast
  • Drum History
  • Working Drummer
  • Joe Wong’s Trapset
  • Alec Baldwin’s Here’s The Thing
  • Modern Drummer Podcast
These are all great podcasts. In addition to Drummer’s Weekly Groovecast, (which is excellent), you guys should definitely checkout Drum History. Drum History really digs into the history of drumming gear. The two episodes related to drum heads were fascinating. I suggest listening to those two episodes in the order they were recorded. The Evans Drumheads episode came first and then listen to the Remo episode after that. High drama in drumhead land! Also, Paul Francis was just on the show from Zildjian and gave a great interview. Loits of good one’s for sure.

Latest posts