OT: poison oak...

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup.. I got it. I was clearing out branches to make a burn pile to protect the property when fire season comes back. It didn't look like there were any poison oak plants around, but I have the telltale rashes.

Luckily I have it mild this time. I once had it where the my entire right calf was covered and it took 1.5 months to heal.

I've never found a good way to keep down the itching, so I'm asking what I can try that has worked for anyone here. Right now, it itches madly (24/7) on the inside of my left wrist, but not much anywhere else.

Also, share you PO or PI stories! I'm sure there are some good ones.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
I've had it in the past. Now when I see it start to form a rash, I take some toothpaste and wipe it thinly over the area. As the toothpaste dries it covers the area and stops spreading. It eventually begins to go away after a few days. Just something that I came up with that works for me.

Mike

scottcyp

Reaction score
Here I thought this was going to be a thread about the latest DW creation you could buy for 86,000.

kdgrissom

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
medicate and wrap it firmly with an Ace bandage for several days.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a pretty severe reaction to it. I've learned to really wash up well after I've been in questionable areas. I'd go get a cortisone shot or something if I got it bad again.

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I just LOOK at poison (anything) I catch it.

I get it so bad that the last time I caught it I had to have the doctor prescribe stuff.

THEN my wife introduced me to this:
1618246651088.png

HOWEVER - When the expiration date hits, IT HITS. Seems there is no grace period with this expiration dating.
Thus the explanation above... :-?

Won't help you now, but keep this in mind for the future.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
p
I have a pretty severe reaction to it. I've learned to really wash up well after I've been in questionable areas. I'd go get a cortisone shot or something if I got it bad again.
I did shower right after doing the work and I think it helped. I didn't get rashes until 2-3 days later and they're fairly minor right now. If it doesn't take off, I'll be glad.

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can roll around butt naked in PI or PO and nothing so I never had it and can't offer good advice except you can never go wrong with bourbon.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I just LOOK at poison (anything) I catch it.

I get it so bad that the last time I caught it I had to have the doctor prescribe stuff.

THEN my wife introduced me to this:
View attachment 494487

HOWEVER - When the expiration date hits, IT HITS. Seems there is no grace period with this expiration dating.
Thus the explanation above... :-?

Won't help you now, but keep this in mind for the future.
The thing is, I looked around where I was working and didn't see any poison oak. It must've been in the ground or on the branches from when the Caterpillar tore down some foliage. Had I known, yeah, I'd have applied some of that.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can roll around butt naked in PI or PO and nothing so I never had it and can't offer good advice except you can never go wrong with bourbon.
I know people that was true for as a kid...they found out the hard way that didn't last into later adulthood. Allergies are weird.

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know people that was true for as a kid...they found out the hard way that didn't last into later adulthood. Allergies are weird.
You know, I wondered the same thing too. I'm in the desert now, not much PI or PO here.

Having said that I'm not planning on testing that theory.

:p

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure if it's true, but lore has it that if you can't get PO or PI even if you try, you're said to have Native American blood in your line. Another theory is that you can develop immunity if you ever had it really badly as a child, like my Mom did. She doesn't get it now.

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure if it's true, but lore has it that if you can't get PO or PI even if you try, you're said to have Native American blood in your line. Another theory is that you can develop immunity if you ever had it really badly as a child, like my Mom did. She doesn't get it now.
Could have been the latter, I remember having a really bad rash when I was a single digit kid.

I'm as honky as you can get, great grandparents on one side immigrated from Poland and great grandparents on the other side immigrated from Russia.