OT: poison oak...

pedro navahas

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would geyit every summer on my inside forearm, which led to it spreading on my a$$ from, well, you know!!
I would get it so bad that the only way to get rid of it was to pee in a cup and pour it over the rash.
I know it sounds gross but it really does work.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would geyit every summer on my inside forearm, which led to it spreading on my a$$ from, well, you know!!
I would get it so bad that the only way to get rid of it was to pee in a cup and pour it over the rash.
I know it sounds gross but it really does work.
I haven't tried that yet! I think I will, though. This thread just went TMI for most. It works on athlete’s foot.

Last edited:

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know you can get it from the roots , or even digging the soil it's in . Burning it can spread it around the neighborhood . The sap can vapourise .

I lived in Constance Bay Ontario which was overgrown with poison ivy and oak . I eventually built up a tolerance .

There are some good products out there, prescription and over the counter like Benadryl cream and capsules . Some folks who have really toxic reactions can get vaccinated like the powerline hydro workers .

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup. Calamine. I had a mild case that itched like crazy last summer.

Calamine is used to relieve the itching, pain, and discomfort of minor skin irritations, such as those caused by poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac. This medicine also dries oozing and weeping caused by poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac.

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keepin’ the beat since 1973 Woodstock, N.Y.
I swear by this stuff. Tecnu Oak and Ivy Scrub. I put it on then rinse w/ hot water in shower. It feels like your scratching it and get major relief. They also make an after care stop itch which I apply after. Here’s a picture. I get it at Walgreens. I have seen different packaging as well but make sure it’s Tecnu brand.
2654B6D7-799C-4F27-A972-4D67B560650D.jpeg

Wxmaggot

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel for you man! I'm highly allergic to all forms of these plants and agree that Tecnu and a hot shower works well to tame it. I typically require a visit to my doctor when I contact it.

When at home have a HAIR DRYER handy. Hear me out on this: The hottest shower you can stand gives relief from itching because it draws out the histamines causing the itch. It feels amazing. Multiply that feeling of relief by 100 when using a hairdryer on your rash. Low heat setting, as close to your skin as you can stand it, move in and out with the proximity to your rash and be careful not to burn yourself of course! When you have severe itching and it's driving you crazy this gives a couple hours of relief. Great before bed if the rash is affecting your sleep.

chollyred2020

Reaction score
I could write an encyclopedia about poison oak/ivy. These plants contain urushiol in their sap. This is what causes the allergic reaction. This stuff is thick and very hard to get rid of. If your using yard tools and get it on the handles, it can remain there for weeks. If it gets on your clothes or gloves, but sure to wash them right after use.

My mother was like Squirrel Man, she could lay down in it and never break out. My brother could just about smell it and break out. We had to be careful burning waste. It can spread in the smoke! I get mild cases of it. The worst case I ever had was going through it barefoot. The bottoms of both feet blistered up about an inch thick. Could hardly walk. Really didn't want to. It itched so bad that it was painful! Now I'll get a small blister or two, pop it open, clean it up real good, and ignore it until it goes away.

When I was with Ma Bell, they gave us Technu to scrub with, but it has to be used within an hour or so of exposure. I haven't seen the preventative, so don't know how effective it is.

CSR

Member since May 2000
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
PSA: be careful about burning poison oak or poison ivy. A neighbor got very sick for quite a long time from inhaling the smoke. And, no, it wasn’t intentional. (Smile)

My emojis never come through from my iPhone.

Roch

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've had it in the past. Now when I see it start to form a rash, I take some toothpaste and wipe it thinly over the area. As the toothpaste dries it covers the area and stops spreading. It eventually begins to go away after a few days. Just something that I came up with that works for me.

Mike
We make a paste with baking soda and water..basically the same effect..I had it so bad as a kit I had to get needles in my hip bone..missed a ton of school..My hands became webbed with huge blisters between the fingers..I was a hideous monster..

Santino

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I lived back east, Poison Ivy haunted me. I'd get it and it would spread everywhere. Yes, even there and there too. Very uncomfortable when "there" is covered in PI!

Hot showers with Fels Naptha soap worked. Pat dry, don't wipe. Wiping the histamines (my hives would leak) can spread the rash. Rhuli gel helped. Calamine lotion didn't as I was too far gone. Many doctors visits and one overnight stay in the hospital.

Thankfully, no PI in the rocky mtns. I'm very careful when I head back east on fishing trips!

ppfd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Reference burning poison ivy, oal sumac. Don't' do it. An acquaintance of mine had a load of firewood that had some dried poison ivy vine he didn't notice and lit it off in the fireplace. He passed away about a month later from the effects of inhaling the smoke.

In the ED we usually dose people up with prednisone oral or solumedrol steroid injection.

pgm554

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The thing is, I looked around where I was working and didn't see any poison oak. It must've been in the ground or on the branches from when the Caterpillar tore down some foliage. Had I known, yeah, I'd have applied some of that.
A friend of mine had a bad habit of hugging cats.'
Unfortunately cats love to roll around in the weeds.
Even though he never came in direct contact with the oak,it got on his hands from the cats ,which he rubbed on his face and eyes.
Eyes swelled shut.
Had to go to the Dr for cortisone.
Try something with benzocaine like Solarcaine for the itch.
As for me ,I'm one of those that never has had ivy or oak issues.

fibes3

Reaction score
My wife gets it easily to the point of having to get prednisone. One of the standard treatments that has helped too is Technu and Arrid Extra Dry Antiperspirant to relieve itching. Apparently the active ingredient, Aluminium Chlorolhydrate, is the key ingredient.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice! I'm trying a few anti-itch medications and keeping the rashes clean. The PO spread a bit on the underside of my forearms in the last two days.

I'm heading to the pharmacy to find a few of the topical treatments suggested here, in the Farmer's Almanac and by the Mayo Clinic. PO is a waiting game and it might be 3 weeks before it's gone. I'm going to (carefully) look around the property and research ways of removing it from the land.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Washing with Dawn dish soap is working well! Makes sense. It was used to clean oil spill off of birds and marine life, so it must be removing the usushiol oil from my skin and breaking up whatever is subdermal.

A few reputable sources online mentioned using dish or laundry soap (on your skin) to break down the oil.

eddieberman

Reaction score
Washing/scrubbing the urushiol oil off your skin needs to be done within 20 minutes of exposure, before it gets absorbed into the lower layers of your skin. You don't need Technu. You can use any abrasive. A washcloth with any kind of soap and cold water (if possible. Warm water aids in skin absorption, which you don't want), even Ajax or Comet work fine. Even rubbing dirt on it can work. Think of the oil like any other oil. If you had a drop of motor oil on your skin, could you remove it with dirt? Yes you can.

If you have any on your fingers and take off your shoes, you can re-infect yourself every time you put your shoes on. It's super strong. Scrub your shoes and wash your clothes before wearing them again.

It's obviously too late for the above, but you should at least understand how it works to prevent re-infection in the future.

The original urushiol oil from the leaf is the ONLY thing that spreads it. You cannot spread it by the blister fluid from the rash, which so many people believe. It's no different than blister fluid from a blister, or from burns. There is no urushiol in blister fluid.

66 years old, with a long history of dealing with it.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Washing/scrubbing the urushiol oil off your skin needs to be done within 20 minutes of exposure, before it gets absorbed into the lower layers of your skin. You don't need Technu. You can use any abrasive. A washcloth with any kind of soap and cold water (if possible. Warm water aids in skin absorption, which you don't want), even Ajax or Comet work fine. Even rubbing dirt on it can work. Think of the oil like any other oil. If you had a drop of motor oil on your skin, could you remove it with dirt? Yes you can.

If you have any on your fingers and take off your shoes, you can re-infect yourself every time you put your shoes on. It's super strong. Scrub your shoes and wash your clothes before wearing them again.

It's obviously too late for the above, but you should at least understand how it works to prevent re-infection in the future.

The original urushiol oil from the leaf is the ONLY thing that spreads it. You cannot spread it by the blister fluid from the rash, which so many people believe. It's no different than blister fluid from a blister, or from burns. There is no urushiol in blister fluid.

66 years old, with a long history of dealing with it.
That all follows everything I’ve read and learned about PO over the years. Much of the advice in the thread is about preventing or dealing with exposure very soon after it happens.

I mostly wanted to know what people do to treat the rash but of course any discussion will open into other related points that can be helpful (or not).

A few more weeks and it’ll be another PO memory.