OT: poison oak...

zenghost

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I feel for you man! I'm highly allergic to all forms of these plants and agree that Tecnu and a hot shower works well to tame it. I typically require a visit to my doctor when I contact it.

When at home have a HAIR DRYER handy. Hear me out on this: The hottest shower you can stand gives relief from itching because it draws out the histamines causing the itch. It feels amazing. Multiply that feeling of relief by 100 when using a hairdryer on your rash. Low heat setting, as close to your skin as you can stand it, move in and out with the proximity to your rash and be careful not to burn yourself of course! When you have severe itching and it's driving you crazy this gives a couple hours of relief. Great before bed if the rash is affecting your sleep.
THIS or similar!!

It may sound unconventional but I use immersion in fairly hot water - don't burn yourself, but definitely as hot as you can stand for an exposure of several minutes without injury. My understanding is the heat causes a histamine dump, you will notice that quickly occurring on exposure to the heat. It is insanely intense sensation for a brief time, almost pleasurable(?). Can give hours of relief that surpasses any topical treatment I've tried and I've wrestled with some bad cases of poison ivy.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
THIS or similar!!

It may sound unconventional but I use immersion in fairly hot water - don't burn yourself, but definitely as hot as you can stand for an exposure of several minutes without injury. My understanding is the heat causes a histamine dump, you will notice that quickly occurring on exposure to the heat. It is insanely intense sensation for a brief time, almost pleasurable(?). Can give hours of relief that surpasses any topical treatment I've tried and I've wrestled with some bad cases of poison ivy.
Nope, I wouldn't call it crazy at all. I've been doing this whenever I feel the itch come back, same thing except I place the rashes under hot running water and the itch flares up intensely for a moment or two, then disappears. Luckily the rash hasn't moved from the underside of my forearms, although it has spread a little in that area. That makes it easy to get under the faucet.

So far, I haven't needed any topical medication after using the hot water treatment. The itch will go away for hours and leave me in peace. I'm planning to take the topical stuff with me when I go out and there won't be a sink available. I might try one just to find out how well they work at home, anyway.

I appreciate the advice from everyone!

cobaltspike

Reaction score
When I was a kid and before I knew what it looked like I pissed on some poison oak, bad mistake in 110 degree heat. I did lots of swimming to keep it at bay the best I could, and calomine as well

Roch

DFO Master
Reaction score
Have you ever tried CBD oil? It is an anti inflammatory and works for a bunch of things..never tried it for poison ivy, thankfully, Inever had to..

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you ever tried CBD oil? It is an anti inflammatory and works for a bunch of things..never tried it for poison ivy, thankfully, Inever had to..
I have some but never tried it on PO, where I bet it would work although that’s an expensive treatment.

CBD is great for a lot of things like headaches and even calming tremors for people with cerebral palsy.

It can go out date due to the oils it’s combined with (often coconut oil). I need to a get a fresh supply.

bbunks

DFO Master
Reaction score
Boy Scout camping trip the weekend Hendrix died. We were doing a project and didn’t pay attention to what was around us in the woods. Nearly the entire troop got poison ivy and several of us got it ALL over. I was out of school for a week.