OT: Pro Football

Status
Not open for further replies.

langmick

Reaction score
Something is very strange in NFL-land. It's getting pretty weird. They literally have a team named "Football Team", why, we can only guess.

I'll be watching Big Ben this year, and seeing what Brady does in Tampa. Kinda just burned out on it all.

Screen Shot 2020-09-13 at 1.10.52 PM.png

JDZ

Asst. Manager, rhythm section
Reaction score
Right now I work with Johnyy Unitas' son, Ken Unitas. Great guy with a lot of interesting stories about his dad.
Now that would be fun to hear. I really loved seeing Art Donavan on the late night talk shows back in the day. He told some tales. His book, "Fatso" is full wild stories.

Can you share a Unitas story?

Dave

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
Has anyone commented on the fake “Cheer” track. The announcers announce like they hear it. Do the players hear it too?

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Has anyone commented on the fake “Cheer” track. The announcers announce like they hear it. Do the players hear it too?
The games I've watched seem like they were pumping the cheer sound through the stadium speakers. I believe that's what they are doing in the MLB and NBA as well.

Hemant

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Something is very strange in NFL-land. It's getting pretty weird. They literally have a team named "Football Team", why, we can only guess.

I'll be watching Big Ben this year, and seeing what Brady does in Tampa. Kinda just burned out on it all.

View attachment 459911
I think "Washington Football Team" or "Washington F.T." is pretty hype - along with the new helmet and uniforms. There is actually a movement building among the younger segment of their fanbase to keep it rather than establishing a new nickname. Think European soccer franchises (e.g. - Liverpool F.C. or F.C. Barcelona). Some of the old boomer fans are still vocally upset about the change - whatever - its done. I know our local Dick's Sporting Goods sold out their initial stock of t-shirts and hats so they are definitely cashing in on the novelty. Cool to see Rivera, Haskins and the new F.T. get a win in their "debut." That franchise has been in disarray for decades and this may be the beginning of a much needed turn the page moment.

Squirrel Man

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The games I've watched seem like they were pumping the cheer sound through the stadium speakers. I believe that's what they are doing in the MLB and NBA as well.
Same for the NHL, it adds a distasteful element into the production, for me at least.

m_anderson

Reaction score
Now that would be fun to hear. I really loved seeing Art Donavan on the late night talk shows back in the day. He told some tales. His book, "Fatso" is full wild stories.

Can you share a Unitas story?
Oh, he's told me some Artie Donovan stories too. They were all pretty tight back then. Not at all like the NFL today. I have one of my own. Artie's wife, Dottie, used to own a country club in Baltimore. I had a wedding gig once, and our "wedding planner" or "job coordinator" (not sure what you called it back then) told me my contact was Dottie Donovan. For some reason, I had to have the band set up really early, like six hours before the gig. So I asked a buddy of mine if he wanted to tag along and help set up the equipment. We are there hauling stuff in and setting things up, when out of nowhere there is this booming voice "You better not touch those walls! I just had those walls painted, and you better not mess up those walls!" My buddy looks at me and says "That's Artie Donovan!" Damned if it wasn't. We started talking and I assured him we would be very careful with the walls. And my friend was just one of those guys who acted like a giddy schoolgirl. But Artie Donovan was about one of the nicest people you could ever meet. We must have talked for 15 to 20 minutes before he left so we could finish.

As far as Johnny U., I wouldn't feel comfortable sharing some of the stuff his son has told me. Much of it is quite personal. He did say his father was not much about memorabilia. He threw away a lot of stuff that would be valuable today. He said they went to the dump once with a truckload of stuff, and they were giving Johnny Unitas the whole spiel about where to put this and where to put that. Apparently, Johnny Unitas was not the kind of person who wanted to hear it. It's a dump and he was there to dump, and that was it. As soon as they realized who it was, they didn't argue. They told him to "pull up and dump your stuff right over there". Now, you know how huge and deep those garbage containers are. He said guys were jumping into the container to go through his garbage right there in front of them (more specifically after an old pair of football cleats), and one of the guys broke a leg jumping into the garbage container. I think that's a pretty funny story.

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I watch some here and there. Used to be a big fan, late 70's through early 90's but as a Bills fan, 4 Super Bowl loses really puts things in perspective, and in a good way. I dont map my day around games anymore or get upset at poor games.

Funny too. But I noticed in my family once you get to your mid-40's or so, interest wanes. Each generation bemoans "the game nowadays". Not sure its the game that changes as much as its us. Just my own personal take on it.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Same for the NHL, it adds a distasteful element into the production, for me at least.
It's all pretty "TV" feeling, I'm a big NBA fan but the games in the bubble have just been weird, my Spurs are done so don't care too much now, but I love the sport of basketball so I keep watching. I like sports period and there's nothing else on tv so I watch.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
The new L.A. stadium $5B! Goodness... L.A. I guess finally has a football stadium for the stars. No judgement here, if ya got the money go for it.

Squirrel Man

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's all pretty "TV" feeling, I'm a big NBA fan but the games in the bubble have just been weird, my Spurs are done so don't care too much now, but I love the sport of basketball so I keep watching. I like sports period and there's nothing else on tv so I watch.
I hear ya. Mah Stillers are on MNF tomorrow so being on the west coast it's a late afternoon game for me. I'll watch, weird venue or no. Pens got thumped early on in the playoffs but I'm kind of following the Golden Knights, I live near Vegas so adopted team.

Other than that my TV is off 98% of the time but I get sports fans liking the resurgence of sports, it's not a bad thing at all.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Other than that my TV is off 98% of the time but I get sports fans liking the resurgence of sports, it's not a bad thing at all.
I didn't expect it, but it feels like the first bit of normal I've experienced in a long time.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Who watched pro football last night?

I watched Houston vs Kansas City and didn't care who won. I was just happy that they played.

I just hope that they will continue to be able to play.
I watched my beloved Seahawks STOMP Atlanta into a greasy spot this morning.
Great game! -b

Elvis

Status
Not open for further replies.