header.nohb.html

OT - Random conversation thread

Loud

Reaction score
When McDonalds says "100% beef" they mean it - fur, hooves, bones and all.
Actually collagen rendered commercially from hooves, bones and hide is very nutritious. Chicken soup from boiled bones is tasty and nutritious, for example.

The actual meat may not be bad but it’s preparation may be so. Somewhat like school lunch cafeterias tend to suck.

Loud

Reaction score
US singer R. Kelly has been sentenced to 30 years in federal prison

Even after last year’s verdict, he is mostly as popular as ever with more than 4.6 million monthly listeners based on today’s Spotify page. Let’s see what happens.

Michael Jackson before his death was accused of crimes and is now sanitized and has over 30 million monthly listeners.

Here is todays R Kelly Spotify page

8167AD99-7AEB-4089-BE55-108EEBFC9377.png

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
So my kid likes guns. Kid, he'll be 19 in a month. I'm a gun guy to a limited degree, I got my CCW 5 years ago and just renewed it. I don't carry hardly at all, I just wanted it for when we go camping or riding ATV's out here in the vast Nevada desert. I don't want people to see if I have a handgun because I respect their concerns. I don't intend on using it unless I really have to.

My wife who wasn't crazy about my introducing guns to my son when he was younger did a 180 after seeing that he understood and can handle firearms. So much that she took a course and got her CCW. Took her field test in Elko NV in February in a blinding snowstorm. She nailed it. She doesn't carry at all, I think it was just something she wanted to do. She can handle a firearm well and all that's just fine with me. Better to know how than to not know how as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway, my kid wanted an AR for his 18th and after dragging my feet a little for no real reason finally ordered it. He ordered the upper and lower, the upper being sent to the house and the lower being sent to the local FFL dealer. They said that because the lower could be used as a handgun they wouldn't let him buy it because he's 18 so we sent it back and I reordered it, pieced it together and transferred it to him because at that point it's a whole rifle. In Nevada if you're under 21 you can only own rifles and shotguns, no handguns.

How odd is that?

Anyway, I don't like his AR because it's too small. I'm not afraid of it, it's just awkward for me to shoot. I have an ancient Yugo SKS made out of wood and iron that's a lot more fun to shoot and it's heavier. Less recoil. He bought a Mossburg shotgun, 12 gauge and went through the paperwork and it's here. Kind of a coming of age thing maybe, he did it on his own. I have a Mossburg pump action shotgun that I bought when I was 14 maybe. Still have it, it's 40+ years old. "Pumpkin masher", used it for squirrel hunting when I was younger.

We took his pump Mossburg out to the range today to shoot it a bit. Jeez, my shoulder hurts like hell, it's so light. I almost chipped a tooth shooting this thing for the first time. One round of 6 shots was all I needed but he shot off two boxes of shells, bird and buck shot.

We love shooting and maybe a 20 gauge is next. And .22 since it's fun and with the cost of ammo lately..

Happy 4th to all. Appreciate and most importantly RESPECT your freedoms responsibly. They come at a very high cost.

Granddaughter is marching in the 4th parade tomorrow shoveling out candy to the spectators, that's going to be fun. Taking the son out riding in the wild blues after that then checking out the fireworks at the golf course after dinner in the evening. Can't wait.

Peace

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
Reworked the first goalie chest protector that my wife got for me for Christmas eight years ago. I upgraded to something better and have already tossed that one as I was feeling shots in it. It wasn’t all that protective, so I worked it over hard: newish arms, added rib protection, enhanced heart guard and added trunk protection.

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
For the record, this is in large part why I don't eat fast food.

A U.S. judge rules that Subway can be sued over its '100% tuna' claim​

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Vistalite Black experienced unidentified flying objects once when he was about 17. Three of us drove out to a neighborhood being built in an area with trees. Typical night ... largely stayed in the car talking, smoking and listening to music when we began seeing multiple sets of small glowing/lighted orbs flying quite close to the car... These objects appeared to be the size of tennis balls or base balls and each set of three flew in a synchronized way. The glowing/lighted colors were quite vibrant ... They were present long enough that we had a pretty long discussion about whether we should call some authority ... like the FAA or whatever. I told the other two it would be dismissed as an effect of swamp gas even though it wasn't swampy and the objects didn't seem like an illusion. After some discussion, we decided we wouldn't be believed because we were three 17-year-old stoner types and we'd had a couple of beers. We definitely didn't tell our parents since the place where it happened wasn't where we told them we'd be going.

This happened in about 1979 in Upstate New York -- near Albany.

Roch

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the record, this is in large part why I don't eat fast food.

A U.S. judge rules that Subway can be sued over its '100% tuna' claim​

They have also been banned in Ireland from calling their buns bread due to the high levels of sugar in them. It’s closer to cake than bread

Roch

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vistalite Black experienced unidentified flying objects once when he was about 17. Three of us drove out to a neighborhood being built in an area with trees. Typical night ... largely stayed in the car talking, smoking and listening to music when we began seeing multiple sets of small glowing/lighted orbs flying quite close to the car... These objects appeared to be the size of tennis balls or base balls and each set of three flew in a synchronized way. The glowing/lighted colors were quite vibrant ... They were present long enough that we had a pretty long discussion about whether we should call some authority ... like the FAA or whatever. I told the other two it would be dismissed as an effect of swamp gas even though it wasn't swampy and the objects didn't seem like an illusion. After some discussion, we decided we wouldn't be believed because we were three 17-year-old stoner types and we'd had a couple of beers. We definitely didn't tell our parents since the place where it happened wasn't where we told them we'd be going.

A UFO saved my life in the early 70’s. I was about to get beaten up by three bigger guys in a school yard field at night. It had something to do with a girl as usual. Anyway, just as the beating was about to go down, I spotted a flashing light over the school roof and I yelled “look! A UFO!” One of the guys yelled Holy s***! And the
other two stared at it. I turned and ran like the wind and never looked back until I was safely in my livingroom a couple of blocks away. I owe some martians a solid if I ever meet them again.

dale w miller

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
They have also been banned in Ireland from calling their buns bread due to the high levels of sugar in them. It’s closer to cake than bread

Makes sense to me. I was just in Ireland and a Coke at a restaurant was on average $4 for 8-12 ounces no refills. I asked a local why and he said they have a really high sugar tax. They want to prevent people from being overweight. It seems to work because most people that I saw that were seriously overweight were not locals.

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
Makes sense to me. I was just in Ireland and a Coke at a restaurant was on average $4 for 8-12 ounces no refills. I asked a local why and he said they have a really high sugar tax. They want to prevent people from being overweight. It seems to work because most people that I saw that were seriously overweight were not locals.
So would a diet Coke there be a lot less?

Just curious. I've drank diet soda forever, because I like the taste mostly - or dislike sugary drinks more specifically.

I wonder then why they don't tax starch. Guiness for example.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
How weird is it that until 100 years ago, your life partner likely was born and grew up on your same ZIP Code. Until the Model T, most people were born and died in a pretty minimally sized radius ... If you didn't have money for a fancy train, your mobility extended only as far as a horse would carry you. If there were only ugly girls in your high school, that was your dating pool. Make the best of it.

I would have hated it: The manual labor, I'm allergic to wool and my eyesight is bad enough that I'd have to depend on someone else to shoot and kill my food.

dale w miller

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

Just curious. I've drank diet soda forever, because I like the taste mostly - or dislike sugary drinks more specifically.

I did not drink it so I do not know, but I sincerely doubt it.

dale w miller

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

A UFO saved my life in the early 70’s. I was about to get beaten up by three bigger guys in a school yard field at night. It had something to do with a girl as usual. Anyway, just as the beating was about to go down, I spotted a flashing light over the school roof and I yelled “look! A UFO!” One of the guys yelled Holy s***! And the
other two stared at it. I turned and ran like the wind and never looked back until I was safely in my livingroom a couple of blocks away. I owe some martians a solid if I ever meet them again.

I have not experienced a UFO, but I believe I saw my first ghost a few years ago. I am not talking about these transparent ghost people tend to describe, but one like was in the movie "The Sixth Sense".

With plenty of daylight still left, about 8pm or so, when I was leaving Aikido class, I saw a boy dressed in similar attire to what the boys in "Stand by Me" wore. I am assuming he was from the 1950's. He was an African-American boy with really short hair, maybe around 8-10yrs old. He was wearing a t-shirt that was dark blue with very thin white stripes, tan shorts that went down to about his knees, and he was carrying in his right hand like someone would carry their school books an old wood case. It was like the cases that would hold those small glass Coke bottles.

He was walking in the parking lot of what could not have been more than 25ft from me. I was walking towards the front of my car and I first saw him through the space between my car on the left and someone else's car to right and then after he pasted them both. I got the sense he saw me and instead of continuing walking in the direction he was going, which would have been through a very large open parking lot, he jumped back behind my car.

Doing a double take, I wondered who in the world it was that I was seeing. I got to the back of my car and did not see him. I walked around to the other side of my car and behind another car. I even looked through the big parking lot, though I know he did not continue in that direction and he was nowhere to be found.I have no idea who that boy was, but I do know it was a really bizarre experience, that is for sure.

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
So our granddaughter is here for the summer, she spends summers with us and Christmas usually and lives back east with her other grandparents.

My wife has a soap shop in town, she makes soap and sells it in a consignment store. Does ok. Other vendors in there are craft-type and Nichole (Nikki, she hates when I call her Nichole which is why I do lol) got to sketching.

She's creative, blows me away. We have a plumbers putty thing she changes on a whim. It started out as ducklings following a mom duck with a full background. Now it's a golf course.

Anyway, she sketched these today. She's 11. I'm deep in thought now thinking about how we can help her advance.

IMG_20220715_175745.jpg
IMG_20220715_175752.jpg

IMG_20220715_175801.jpg
IMG_20220715_175735.jpg

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score

Guinness used to be served in hospitals (in England and probably Ireland) as it’s high in iron. I still drink it after I give blood. I also drink it if I had three games in consecutive days and I feel fantastic. So in essence, it’s health food ;)

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score