header.nohb.html

OT - Random conversation thread

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've finally decided to have a go at Isaac Asimov's "Foundation" .

I don't think I'll make it to the " good parts " because I suspect there aren't any .

Last edited:

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
Watching the hockey game, Pens vs. Blue Jackets. Right off the bat there are like 3 commercials being ran in rotation, one of them is for this drug called xtandi, some testosterone thing. Even before the game started we saw this commercial 4 times. I told the ol'lady that the over/under on seeing this commercial by the end of the game is 30. Halfway through the second intermission we're on 17.

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
I guess summer's over except for those here from Australia.

1666539099322.jpeg

1666539121268.jpeg

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
It blows my mind to walk around on a 70-degree day and there's almost nobody outside -- not walking, not at the park ... just huddled in their homes watching genetic freaks slam into one another for three hours.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
I'm more bothered than I should be when people discuss car "accidents."

It wasn't a random incident where all parties are blameless. Someone screwed up or had an equipment failure.

This is why you almost never hear the term "airplane accident." It's a crash.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
"Interesting" is the least informative of all adjectives ... When someone says or posts, "This is interesting," it's almost guaranteed that it's not. Was dinner "interesting" or was it 'spicy,' 'inedible,' 'an attack on those who hate cooked cabbage,' or 'painfully awkward due to the nudity?'

"Exciting" is a default word for 'this is not interesting.'

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Interesting" is the least informative of all adjectives ... When someone says or posts, "This is interesting," it's almost guaranteed that it's not. Was dinner "interesting" or was it 'spicy,' 'inedible,' 'an attack on those who hate cooked cabbage,' or 'painfully awkward due to the nudity?'

"Exciting" is a default word for 'this is not interesting.'

Interesting point.

That was a softball pitch.
Sorry.
It's one of those obvious jokes that sort of write themselves.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
If I had a time machine, I'd go back to 1965 Italy and finagle my way on to the drum throne of New Dada ... My days would be spent eating pizza, re-making Chuck Berry hits in the style of the Beatles/Brit Invasion bands (only in Italian) and touring the country -- Oh and opening for the Beatles in 1966. La Bella Vida!

Or 1965 France.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
I'm going to the NASCAR Xfinity race in Martinsville on Saturday because I live in a paradise. For those who don't know, the Xfinity series is NASCAR's second-tier series and Martinsville is a half-mile "bullring" that typically features quite a lot of literal door-banging and car-to-car contact, $2 hot dogs and a pretty good fried bologna sandwich.

Sunday's top-division race is sold out, but Saturday is much more chill with fewer (possibly zero) traffic and parking hassles.

NFL average length of game: 3 hours and 12 minutes Actual minutes of play: 11 minutes.

MLB average length of game: 3 hours and 5 minutes Actual minutes of play: 18 minutes.

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm going to the NASCAR Xfinity race in Martinsville on Saturday because I live in a paradise. For those who don't know, the Xfinity series is NASCAR's second-tier series and Martinsville is a half-mile "bullring" that typically features quite a lot of literal door-banging and car-to-car contact, $2 hot dogs and a pretty good fried bologna sandwich.

Sunday's top-division race is sold out, but Saturday is much more chill with fewer (possibly zero) traffic and parking hassles.

NFL average length of game: 3 hours and 12 minutes Actual minutes of play: 11 minutes.

MLB average length of game: 3 hours and 5 minutes Actual minutes of play: 18 minutes.
Can't say that about hockey.

I'd pluck my eyeballs out before I watched NASCAR on TV but I've gone to the (dirt and asphalt) track with my kids. We sang the national anthem one year before the races (Indian Guides troop).

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score

No.15

Reaction score
Totally random but the framing on my garage started today, almost exactly 1 year behind schedule. There will be a lift, space for my cars, an office and a band practice area. Can't wait for it to be finished.

20221102_150358.jpg

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
Never heard of this guy but good luck with that.

Musk is a derp.