OT - Random conversation thread

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Weird for IL. Stuff grows like weeds from what I can remember.

Sprinklers are on here in the high desert and it's freezing in the mornings now. Grass-cicles. Stuff out here is like "bring it, gonna live..."

Grass sucks anyway, more to maintenance.
If the wife would let me, it would be a rock garden up front.

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If the wife would let me, it would be a rock garden up front.
I get it, on both fronts.

I'm in the middle of buying a new place, it has grass (and sprinklers) on the front side but the yard is pretty big, triple lot and fenced in. Just dirt and dust in the yard but no grass is going in there. There's a chicken coop for my girls and a couple of sheds and I might gravel it at some point. Nice spot for our fire pit though.

At this point in life, at least where I'm at grass is too much trouble. And the wife is totally fine with that.

Might build a greenhouse for whatever.

Put that rock garden in, gives you more time to tap on the kit. heh...

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I'd love a bone dry desert. We're having mold issues in the house. This morning there was so much condensation on the inside of the windows that it was puddling on the sill.

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ll never buy a flipped house again , so many corners were cut . It’s all catching up to me .

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I raced dirtbikes for a few years and spent countless hours wrenching on them, but I'm somewhat clueless when it comes to bicycles. We had a saying back then when we were stuck: RTFM (Read The F-ing Manual) but I guess it doesn't apply to customized rides. Happy for you that you figured it out. There's nothing that angers me more than when I have all the right parts and the trouble comes from the human side of the wrench...

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I raced dirtbikes for a few years and spent countless hours wrenching on them, but I'm somewhat clueless when it comes to bicycles. We had a saying back then when we were stuck: RTFM (Read The F-ing Manual) but I guess it doesn't apply to customized rides. Happy for you that you figured it out. There's nothing that angers me more than when I have all the right parts and the trouble comes from the human side of the wrench...
Saddest thing?!? Manual was clear as mud. Sad, but true.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This sometimes happens, yeah, like when companies don't hire a proper translator... There should be a law against that for vital parts such as brakes. Your life depends on it functionning properly.

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This sometimes happens, yeah, like when companies don't hire a proper translator... There should be a law against that for vital parts such as brakes. Your life depends on it functionning properly.
LOL

I just could not get the tension correct! I blew up one cable. Watched about an hour’s worth of Youtube, and it came to me. I have my own technique on side pulls; center pulls are their own thing! The great thing was the Knarps the bike shop sold me. I could customize the straddle wire, which makes a HUGE difference in how it goes together! Cable hangers could help, but making a straddle wire of my own helped in spades.

The other bit not told was after I got the brake right, I needed to replace the fork and head bearing. When I got the bike in the post, the head bearing felt quite wonky. Readjustment made me know it wasn’t the machined cups; putting the works under tension confirmed my suspicions that stuff wasn’t right!

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
While talking about random stuff: I dropped my cell phone in the driveway last weekend and killed the screen. This meant that I had no music player to practice drums to for the whole week. I just got the parts today. But in the meantime, instead of just randomly playing along to some tunes, I practiced rudiments and independance to a click, for hours every day. My oh my, does it make a difference. I'm used to a 10-15 minutes of pad here and there, but never quite gave that a serious go and wasn't that motivated because I never really did enough to feel a marked improvement. This afternoon when I put my practice playlist back on, it felt like I had a quantum leap in fluidity, stamina and ease of playing. I also made a conscious effort to put more work in with my weak hand. So my 5 days of phonelessness haven't been all bad.

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
While talking about random stuff: I dropped my cell phone in the driveway last weekend and killed the screen. This meant that I had no music player to practice drums to for the whole week. I just got the parts today. But in the meantime, instead of just randomly playing along to some tunes, I practiced rudiments and independance to a click, for hours every day. My oh my, does it make a difference. I'm used to a 10-15 minutes of pad here and there, but never quite gave that a serious go and wasn't that motivated because I never really did enough to feel a marked improvement. This afternoon when I put my practice playlist back on, it felt like I had a quantum leap in fluidity, stamina and ease of playing. I also made a conscious effort to put more work in with my weak hand. So my 5 days of phonelessness haven't been all bad.
Silver-lining thought processes are appreciated AND championed here! You very well made the most from the situation!!!

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well, choice words fused in bulk and morale was low at first, to be honnest.
;)
It's a good thing I stuck with stuff that don't come naturally to me. Instant gratification is usually what drives me, so it's easy to dismiss the harder, less gratifying aspects of learning drums. But after feeling/hearing the results, what a few well managed hours have done on my playing, I'm definitely a convert to including a more methodical approach to a portion of my stick time. Fo' sho'...

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My bro and I just introduced our kids to the genius of Gary Larson. We told them it was just like analog memes. They loved it and laughed a lot. Here's one Far Side joke I thought would be relevant to post here...

Attachments