OT RANT about Audi!!!

Mayan

Reaction score
I took my car in for service today. I mentioned that one of the two bulbs in the dome light was burnt out. They call me to get approval to fix it. “Unfortunately, we cannot replace the bulb, we have to replace the entire mechanism. That costs $586.03.”

Audi service LIES!!!!

That’s all. Had to vent. I’m single and live alone. Thanks for reading.

Rotarded

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've owned German cars for 2 decades. There is a reason they call them "Stealerships". I used to be a service director for a domestic (US) car dealership for 10 years, also a race crew chief, so I've called them on this poopie more than a few times. I can't begin to count the number of times they tried to bend me over. Examples: Quoted almost $1000 to replace 2 sway bar end links on my E350 4Matic Benz. I bought the links online for $80, and swapped them out on my garage floor, with a floor jack and hand tools, in 20 minutes. #2: Sisters rear window regulator failed on her convertible VW Bug (known engineering issue). The quote for repair was almost $2k. $330 in OEM parts ( modified cable length/taughtness to last longer, by me ) and a short afternoon in her back seat, and done.

Last edited:

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So I have to chime in here.

Outside of Korean or Japanese I haven't and wouldn't own a foreign car. Not that foreign cars are bad, they're not mostly but for this purpose, it's not my lifestyle.

Having said that I was drooling over a two seater Mercedes antique convertible over the weekend but that's a different class.

But that's A), B) is I would never go to a dealer for service. Granted you have an Audi and your options might be limited in this respect - and it's one of the reasons I don't buy cars like this. I'll fix it myself and for the tricky stuff I take it to a local guy. Less hassle and it generally doesn't cost me my right leg. If it's outside of warranty mind you.

Where it seemed you were going is to just order the bulbs from somewhere and put them in yourself. It shouldn't be that hard, maybe and if it is see if a local shop will do it for you for fifty bucks or something.

Jhouse86

Reaction score
I hear ya. The Audi S4 and the TT stopped costing me money the day I sold them. Drive, fix pay, drive, pay, fix, store for winter. Repeat.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Last edited:

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
15 years ago I had a cd stuck in the player of my recently purchased Infiniti. The dealer had a $1500 solution. I went to the internet (much less information back then) and found a solution that involved a paper clip and two minutes of time.
Some years later, my wife's Mercedes' trunk lid wouldn't stay up. The dealer quoted her $450 to replace those two shock absorber things. I found them on Amazon for $20 and they took two minutes to install.
My daughter lost both remote fobs for her Ford Fusion. The dealer wanted to charge her a few hundred bucks to replace them, so she never did. When I bought the car back from her I found replacements on Amazon...2 for $15.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
I used to have names made up. For every make. Jokes ya know. Acronyms.. like for some examples

Nice In Slow Speed And Neutral.
Touch Of Your Old Time AMC.
Very Weird.
Price Of Regular Service Could Hinder Excitement.

and yes even,
Always Under Doing Inspections.

I loved cars.

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If this is so well known a problem, why are people buying German cars?

Honestly? Because most Japanese/Korean/US made cars are boring to drive. Yes, you have to pay more for repairs for German-made cars, but generally speaking, they provide a much more enjoyable experience for the driver/passenger.

I own a Honda Fit, and while it almost never breaks down (although when the side mirror electrical system went out, it cost me a ton of money), it is, without a doubt, one of the most boring cars to drive I have ever owned. I also own a Mini Cooper S. While it is slightly more expensive to service, it is infinitely more enjoyable to drive.

I will say, regardless of the manufacturer, nowadays you need to be savvy as to the repairs/costs/etc.. when taking your vehicle in for repairs.

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
On many newer cars, if the HIDs are even the thing that needs to be replaced, you have to take the whole front apart to access it. Frequently, it's another part of the needlessly complex lighting system that needs to be replaced. Sometimes they don't even know that until they get in there and test stuff. I love that my 1980s vehicles take $2.50 incandescent bulbs, which are accessed by a maximum of four phillips head screws.

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If this is so well known a problem, why are people buying German cars?
German cars are the very worst in my book.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
On many newer cars, if the HIDs are even the thing that needs to be replaced, you have to take the whole front apart to access it. Frequently, it's another part of the needlessly complex lighting system that needs to be replaced. Sometimes they don't even know that until they get in there and test stuff. I love that my 1980s vehicles take $2.50 incandescent bulbs, which are accessed by a maximum of four phillips head screws.
European imports were like that at one time too. And were even easier to work on than American cars at the time.
There was a logic almost a pit stop race logic to them quick to repair. Those days were almost all analog. Now who knows

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Imports were like that at one time too. And were even easier to work on than American cars at the time.
Mercedes and VW had their day long ago, but then they realized people have more money than sense. absurd repair costs are a first world problem.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Mercedes and VW had their day long ago, but then they realized people have more money than sense. absurd repair costs are a first world problem.
you have to wonder tho in countries and cities where say Audi is the popular standard brand (that the local librarian has driven all his or her life) when she or he takes it (her A4) into the garage..ah who am I kidding even the regular German citizen is driving a Japanese or South Korean car

What I mean is are they cheaper to service in their home country? I'd have to think maybe so..
Of Course on offer in home country is less complex versions than the ones they send us (that's always been the case) simpler engines are available in home countries. European imports always- never sent their base/base engines etc base trim levels etc..even today it's rare

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
you have to wonder tho in countries and cities where say Audi is the popular standard brand (that the local librarian has driven all his or her life) when she or he takes it (her A4) into the garage..ah who am I kidding even the regular German citizen is driving a Japanese or South Korean car

What I mean are they cheaper to service in their home country? I'd have to think maybe so..
For Dungeons and Dragons nerds, Honda/Toyota are like the long sword. You could specialize in something else, but the numbers are just better with the solid, arguably boring choice. German cars are the broadsword: you want to be seen rolling 2D4 instead of 1D8, even though the trove never ever includes a magical broadsword. (There's an obvious reason I got better grades in grad school.)

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
American cars had to be capable of driving from New York to California. So you had 'stick' axles, room for 6, a good heater and good air conditioning and a soft ride. Gas was Cheap so that wasn't a concern...

Germany and other parts of Europe you had unlimited Speed Limits, resources were expensive. So You had a car that could cruise at 100mph all day while returning 25 mpg.

Japan (and now South Korea) a small mountainous island where space was limited and resources were not cheap

So the cars that came and come from these countries differed and had the characteristics of their various lands.

French cared if you could carry Bread sticks and eggs across a farm field ; ) (Deux Cheveau 2CV or self-leveling Citroen

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ah, you speak of French cars, JDA! So comfortable they were. The seats! We had a 2CV when I was a kid, a real Renault, too.