OT RANT about Audi!!!

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've not had a truck in about 10 years. But I have needed one many times in those 10 years. I've never needed better cornering or a faster zero to sixty time. I expect vehicles to last me ten years, and sporty cars don't really seem to unless they're garaged and driven lightly, which is kind of a bigger waste. Why own a car that requires you to own another car for 85% of your driving needs?

I am ready for trucks to go out of favor though. Before pandemic, you could buy a high mileage car that still had plenty of life for a couple grand. I couldn't buy a truck under $10k that didn't have more than 150k AND 10 years on it. I'd love to have a truck like that for more like $4-5k. I need to get mulch/plywood/lumber/gravel/drag riding mowers to the shop/get furniture enough that it's a hassle, and kind of expensive to rent, but still not enough to make the premium they currently fetch worthwhile.
I have rented a pick up when I actually needed one. It’s a helluva lot cheaper than buying a $50k truck.

And by need, I mean for work.

Ans my point is people should drive what makes them happy.

Core Creek

Reaction score
I had a 2009 A4 wagon with a headlight out. Fix - almost $400 - for a headlight! Plus issues with the engine that took over a year for them to resolve - I finally bought a Honda.

I owned a 2003 BMW 3 series that never needed anything, so they could be well built…

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Daily ride to work, or is this thread just for European cars...? View attachment 518046

When I was stationed in Italy, girl watching on Vespas was one of my favorite pastimes. Great memories watching the girls hustle themselves off to work in skirts, dresses and heels on one. And yeah, they could ride!

Looked very much like these pics from my fading memory -

13c883143411e651da20124036966107.jpg
9af10fb7191cb50b08f756000925c1d4.jpg

Reactions: JDA

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
While I completely understand the fun aspect of cars and don't want to be considered a boring point A to point B driver, I have been driving boring Toyotas since I was in high school. Honestly I have had very little problems with any of the Toyotas I have owned and I typically keep one for 10 plus years. I also live in New Hampshire where we get all kind of weather, especially in winter where the snow is deep and the roads are covered in salt. My current car is a 2014 Rav 4 that I bought brand new and it has been the perfect car for my gigs. I can actually fit quite a bit of stuff in there and when the gas prices are not at such a high point, I can usually pay around $26 to fill it from empty. I have been gigging a ton this year and it has been great.

That being said... I have lusted after a 70's Corvette since I was a kid. Do they break down all the time? Check. Do they suck through gas like crazy? Check. Are they completely unreliable and probably not all that comfortable? Check. Could I probably fit no more than a snare drum and a couple of toms in there? Check. Would I still want one? Absolutely. I just don't have the funds to keep a car like that properly maintained and I am not mechanical in the least. I'm sure it would be fun for a while but then it would start to become a hassle. I also don't have a proper storage garage and my road would probably destroy a car like that. I still love them though. Lol

underratedcowbell

Reaction score
While I completely understand the fun aspect of cars and don't want to be considered a boring point A to point B driver, I have been driving boring Toyotas since I was in high school. Honestly I have had very little problems with any of the Toyotas I have owned and I typically keep one for 10 plus years. I also live in New Hampshire where we get all kind of weather, especially in winter where the snow is deep and the roads are covered in salt. My current car is a 2014 Rav 4 that I bought brand new and it has been the perfect car for my gigs. I can actually fit quite a bit of stuff in there and when the gas prices are not at such a high point, I can usually pay around $26 to fill it from empty. I have been gigging a ton this year and it has been great.

That being said... I have lusted after a 70's Corvette since I was a kid. Do they break down all the time? Check. Do they suck through gas like crazy? Check. Are they completely unreliable and probably not all that comfortable? Check. Could I probably fit no more than a snare drum and a couple of toms in there? Check. Would I still want one? Absolutely. I just don't have the funds to keep a car like that properly maintained and I am not mechanical in the least. I'm sure it would be fun for a while but then it would start to become a hassle. I also don't have a proper storage garage and my road would probably destroy a car like that. I still love them though. Lol
Sorry to hijack your post, but this sentence just blew my mind! Do you know how much is to fill my tank from empty? At least $85. Man were're really being abused down here :(

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have never personally owned a VW, but my exfiance had one, as have many friends, and my impression is that they are great cars, but when they get old, they become one big electrical problem.

Dan

TrickRoll

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have never personally owned a VW, but my exfiance had one, as have many friends, and my impression is that they are great cars, but when they get old, they become one big electrical problem.

Dan
That’s a common opinion. But we have a 1998 VW with 70k miles that has spared us that adventure. No problems to date. Fingers crossed.

Germandrummer

Reaction score
you have to wonder tho in countries and cities where say Audi is the popular standard brand (that the local librarian has driven all his or her life) when she or he takes it (her A4) into the garage..ah who am I kidding even the regular German citizen is driving a Japanese or South Korean car

What I mean is are they cheaper to service in their home country? I'd have to think maybe so..
Of Course on offer in home country is less complex versions than the ones they send us (that's always been the case) simpler engines are available in home countries. European imports always- never sent their base/base engines etc base trim levels etc..even today it's rare
Well, I don't know about prices for OEM parts in the US. In Germany workshops of the big three, Mercedes, BMW and VW/Audi will charge around 130-150€ per hour for mechanical work, up to 200€ for bodywork/paint. Even more if the workshop is located in main cities like Berlin, Munich or Frankfurt.

Although germans like korean cars more and more since the early 2000s, the aforementioned brands are still quite common. I suppose there are usually bigger engines and nicer specs exported to the US. A small-engined white A-Class, Q 3 or BMW 1 with no special features might be a typical local librarian's ride over here.

Reactions: JDA

Germandrummer

Reaction score
I’ve leased four Audis, including this one. I’ve never paid much at all to maintain them, new brakes is about it. They were leased and everything was covered. I bought this one after the lease ended a year ago, because it’s a 2017 S5, the last year before the redesign (the S5 body remained unchanged for a decade), and the last year they offered a manual gearbox.

Only two of them with a stick came to California where I live, and I got this one. It’s really a lot of fun to drive. And if I ever get tired of it, someone will buy. I bought an extended warranty, but the dome light isn’t covered. The new engine mounts however, are. View attachment 517855
Very nice! Must be the V6 turbo, right? I had an early manual 4.2-V8 from new but it had several issues still under warranty so I sold it after two years.

Germandrummer

Reaction score
Where I come from, the status symbol is how many miles and years can you get out of it.

2000 B5 S4 Audi 177,000 on the original bi-turbos and one new clutch; single owner toured the West

kept:

2006 Corolla 99,500
1998 Tacoma 186,500
1991 Explorer 265,500
I had a 1988 Mercedes 124 200D from 2005-2015. Mighty 72hp (felt like 35hp with activated aircon). My wife hated it and so I sold it with 770.000km. The guy in town to whom I sold it still runs it with 900.000+ km. He had to change the first clutch a few years ago unfortunately.

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
My worst experience was with a used Land Rover Discovery - the one the license plate is mounted to in my avatar picture. I loved driving it, but that thing ate my lunch. It was in the shop for something almost monthly, and the bill would be $1,000 and up every time. The cheapest thing that happened was having to replace the ignition switch and it was almost $700 not including the tow bill. It took weeks to get the part because it had to be sent from overseas.

It was so bad that my mechanic told me to get a code reader that would cancel codes.
When any warning light came on the dash I was supposed to clear the code and not call him unless the same code happened two more times.
I could have been making payments on a new Range Rover for less than I was paying to repair my 4 year old Discovery II.

That code reader did help reduce my shop visits, but by that time I was terrified to drive it - afraid of the next repair bill. I finally traded it on a brand new Toyota Sienna. Before that van reached 20,000 miles the transmission went out on it! At least it was under warranty and the new tranny was free. Now I try to always have my daily driver new enough that it's covered by some kind of warranty.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I don't know about prices for OEM parts in the US. In Germany workshops of the big three, Mercedes, BMW and VW/Audi will charge around 130-150€ per hour for mechanical work, up to 200€ for bodywork/paint. Even more if the workshop is located in main cities like Berlin, Munich or Frankfurt.

Although germans like korean cars more and more since the early 2000s, the aforementioned brands are still quite common. I suppose there are usually bigger engines and nicer specs exported to the US. A small-engined white A-Class, Q 3 or BMW 1 with no special features might be a typical local librarian's ride over here.
Check this report @Germandrummer

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been there, done that. All Japanese for me now...
Back in the 80's, everyone was trying to convince me to go Japanese. So I bit and bought one. It was a dog wrapped in a beautiful Guigiaro styled body - the Isuzu Impulse. Sold it pretty quickly and I never bought another Japanese car again.

Been American ever since and Ive been happy enough. Easy maintenance, pretty cheap and I didn't have the guilt of driving a Japanese car to the construction site.

gonzo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
All you have to do is check Consumer Report. Spot on. Won’t buy anything but Toyota. Rides fine to me!!

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Back in the 80's, everyone was trying to convince me to go Japanese. So I bit and bought one. It was a dog wrapped in a beautiful Guigiaro styled body - the Isuzu Impulse. Sold it pretty quickly and I never bought another Japanese car again.

Been American ever since and Ive been happy enough. Easy maintenance, pretty cheap and I didn't have the guilt of driving a Japanese car to the construction site.
Your only mistake was choosing the wrong Japanese car company.