OT-Recommendations on book shelf speakers

dtk

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm about 6 weeks into moving in and finally set up 'the stereo' only to find one of the speakers is blown or dead (pretty much only hear hihat).

Is there anything out there someone would recommend on the cheap (150 or less)...

If no...what?

thx

hsosdrum

Reaction score
I assume you've confirmed it's the speaker that's bad by swapping the left speaker with the right speaker and the bad sound followed the original bad speaker. (If you swap speakers and the bad sound is now with the other speaker the problem is ahead of the speaker, in the electronics or the source component.)

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I still have a set of Advent Baby II's that I bought new in 1989...and they still sound great. About 1995 one of the tweeters went. I called Advent and they sent me one free saying they had a 10 year warranty...didn't ask for proof of purchase or anything just asked "about when did you buy them" I think Jensen had bought them out if I remember right, I'm sure they are out of business and I've never looked on ebay for them.

Just looked and quite few mostly around $75 a pair but shipping is high since they are fairly big for a pair, similar to shipping a floor tom I'd suppose.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just scored an Onkyo receiver, Samsung DVD (CD) player, and a Bose Acoustimass 3 piece set all for $100 off CList. Sounds killer. It was going to be for my 12 y.o. as his first system but daddy's been jamming out a bit and may not give it up.

I also recently scored a pair of nice Athena Technologies bookshelf speakers - each has 2 tweeters and a 5.25" center speaker - insane quality and sound for $40 a pair! And they're like new......I think $250 if new.

So check out CList.....there's deals out there......

Deafmoon

Reaction score
Listen to an old man here who spent alot of useless money from $40 to $500 on bookshelf speakers over the last 25 years. If music is your life and you are uploading & downloading more & more of it to your computer. Save your money and get Audio Engine AE2's. They are the least inexpensive Audio Engines at $269 a pair on Amazon and will BLOW ANY OTHER BOOKSHELF SPEAKER OUT OF THE WATER!

Latest posts