OT Restored My "Vintage" Weber Gas Grill

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
This is my 1995 Weber--made in America. She has been so reliable I thought I'd finally give 'er a facelift. I've replaced the "flavorizer bars" and grill racks a few times over the years, but that's about it. The old ones were porcelain coated steel and would rust apart in Oregon's weather every three years or so. The current replacements are stainless steel, and they've lasted over 3 years so far with no end in sight. I recently replaced the gas tubes, drip tray and pan, and igniter. So cool that parts are still available.

I was able to clean the baked-on grease from the red powder coat with 240 wet-or-dry and a ton of elbow grease. it didn't scratch the finish. I used 4 coats of black high heat paint on the side and bottom surfaces. I stained the wood slats, then covered them with 4 coats of Urethane.

Just like vintage drums and vintage cars, I strongly feel they don't make barbeques like they used to. This cost me $450 in 1995, and I've put less than $300 into over the last 18 years. Courtesy of my neighbors, I've seen the newer stainless steel off-brand models and, as well, the high end Duchenes lasting only a couple of years, with kettles warping from the heat, and cheap bits and pieces falling off due to rust.

And the new Webers--which I've heard are still very good--cost nearly $1,000 and are made in China.

Here's to 18 more years of good grilling...

Its Dharma:

...and, tonight only! Tommykat's Famous Barbeque Chicken--

dimag333

DFO Master
Reaction score
sick! Always been a weber guy, got a sweet SS one right now

Jimmy Willis

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Great job! Love the Weber products. Bought a new Weber smoker last year! Just my own preference but I prefer charcoal over gas. Weber Kettle charcoal grills are the best?

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
great job tommy. looks real nice. i want some bbq chicken now as well! :icon_smile:

mike

jaybeez

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I got a new Genesis last year for Father's Day. One day, it will be vintage. For now, it works perfectly! :occasion5:

rokkman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Have the same grill in black, mines not quite ready for an overhaul but have cooked a few steaks on it. Recently changed the gas lines from the quick release to a standard tank because my tank expired and i could not get it filled any more. Great grill, probably get another 10-15 years out of it

DolFan54

Gum Flapping Idiot
Reaction score
I have the same one in green from 1996. It was a wedding present. Except for converting the quick release to a standard, I haven't had to do a thing to it. We use it constantly in the summer months!

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Have the same grill in black, mines not quite ready for an overhaul but have cooked a few steaks on it. Recently changed the gas lines from the quick release to a standard tank because my tank expired and i could not get it filled any more. Great grill, probably get another 10-15 years out of it
Interestingly, I'm running into this problem also. One of the places I get my tanks filled no longer has the adapter. Also, one of the tanks is showing some surface rust, which means it's time to get some new ones. As I understand it, you can only get the new style flange fitting, so I will have to swap it out.

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have the same one in green from 1996. It was a wedding present. Except for converting the quick release to a standard, I haven't had to do a thing to it. We use it constantly in the summer months!
Whoa! Never seen it in green...

I kind of wish I had black, because no matter what you do, the red ends up getting discolored.

I used to do a lot of rotisserie turkeys, and that was really hard on the finish.

Latest posts