OT Restored My "Vintage" Weber Gas Grill

JohnG

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
great job TK... reminds me of the one I had for about 10 years.... It was washed away during Sandy :(
I now plan on getting a natural gas Weber that I can hook up to the house. That way I can swap it out with a natural gas generator if we lose power again....can't get auto gas when the power goes down....

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
great job TK... reminds me of the one I had for about 10 years.... It was washed away during Sandy :(
I now plan on getting a natural gas Weber that I can hook up to the house. That way I can swap it out with a natural gas generator if we lose power again....can't get auto gas when the power goes down....
Dang, JohnG, that's a really tough story. How are you making it through? I've seen your other posts, but what's the most recent situation? I keep hearing that the country has forgotten the hurricane and that there are ongoing major struggles for both homeowners and businesses.

JohnG

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes TK, the elections are over so there is no need for photo ops any longer, and the MSM would never bad mouth "you know who", unlike New Orleans.
Many people lost everything and are being jerked around by FEMA and their insurance companies to no end. We still have 100's of vacant homes and many business owners can't afford to reopen, or their shops have been totally wiped out. Most business' around here rely on the summer season to make it and we are not sure what this season will bring yet.

My second floor is fine, heat and hot water back, Downstairs still under construction. My flood insurance adjuster has basically gone underground !! No returned phone calls or e-mails for the past 6 weeks. I recently called and there was a recorded announcement saying "this phone number no longer recieves calls" !!!!! WTF
I finally got thru to his company yesterday and they said he would call... lets see what happens.... I did get an an advance but I have burned thru that twice over and the job is about half way completed. I'm still far more lucky than many in the area.

Ontop of it all, the insulation guys almost burned down my house with the most jackass stunt I have ever seen. The electricians roughed out the wiring and left about a 3ft wire and bulb dangling in each room for light . Somehow the isluators managed to fold one of them up into the support beams with the light on !!! Luckily I came straight home after work that night and found my downstairs full of smoke. When I found the problem the beam was already crackling like a fireplace with red hot ambers..... I was able to get it out and ran upstairs, and cut up the rug in my bedroom to make sure it was not burning there.... that has brought the project to a 2 week halt until an adjuster can look at that on Monday.... had it been a night I went to practice or went out to dinner the house would have burned down. It still smells like an old fireplace downstairs.
Here's a photo....... just going with the flow right now....... has anyone heard from JRFrond... I know he lived in the next town over that was wiped out as well... hey, sorry to hijack your thread..

Attachments

torydrum

One of the old farts...
Reaction score
Yes TK, the elections are over so there is no need for photo ops any longer, and the MSM would never bad mouth "you know who", unlike New Orleans.
well said john.

Sorry about your dilemma. I'm about a mile from the coast in CT. We did fine, however the homes directly on the beaches were trashed, many of which have been razed.

BTW, I would go after the insulation contractor for negligence.

Ed

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Many people lost everything and are being jerked around by FEMA and their insurance companies to no end. We still have 100's of vacant homes and many business owners can't afford to reopen, or their shops have been totally wiped out. Most business' around here rely on the summer season to make it and we are not sure what this season will bring yet.

My second floor is fine, heat and hot water back, Downstairs still under construction. My flood insurance adjuster has basically gone underground !! No returned phone calls or e-mails for the past 6 weeks. I recently called and there was a recorded announcement saying "this phone number no longer recieves calls" !!!!! WTF
I finally got thru to his company yesterday and they said he would call... lets see what happens.... I did get an an advance but I have burned thru that twice over and the job is about half way completed. I'm still far more lucky than many in the area.

Ontop of it all, the insulation guys almost burned down my house with the most jackass stunt I have ever seen. The electricians roughed out the wiring and left about a 3ft wire and bulb dangling in each room for light . Somehow the isluators managed to fold one of them up into the support beams with the light on !!! Luckily I came straight home after work that night and found my downstairs full of smoke. When I found the problem the beam was already crackling like a fireplace with red hot ambers..... I was able to get it out and ran upstairs, and cut up the rug in my bedroom to make sure it was not burning there.... that has brought the project to a 2 week halt until an adjuster can look at that on Monday.... had it been a night I went to practice or went out to dinner the house would have burned down. It still smells like an old fireplace downstairs.
Here's a photo....... just going with the flow right now....... has anyone heard from JRFrond... I know he lived in the next town over that was wiped out as well... hey, sorry to hijack your thread..
BTW, I was a victim of Hurricane Hugo on St. Thomas. The media came and went. After the hurricane passed, we were old news and nobody cared. Our problem though, was that we couldn't go to "the next town over" and eat a meal at Denny's. Nor could we call home. Nothing on the island was operational. It was bedlam as the so called "rastas" (their name, not mine) took over and shot, killed and robbed many of the business owners who were trying to protect their cameras, jewelry and wares. We men in the hotel where we were sequestered had to go on watch at night to keep thieves from coming in and robbing us.

Enough. But I know something of what you're going through...Best of luck.

DolFan54

Gum Flapping Idiot
Reaction score
Have the same grill in black, mines not quite ready for an overhaul but have cooked a few steaks on it. Recently changed the gas lines from the quick release to a standard tank because my tank expired and i could not get it filled any more. Great grill, probably get another 10-15 years out of it
Interestingly, I'm running into this problem also. One of the places I get my tanks filled no longer has the adapter. Also, one of the tanks is showing some surface rust, which means it's time to get some new ones. As I understand it, you can only get the new style flange fitting, so I will have to swap it out.
I swap our tanks at Wal-Mart, it turned out to be cheaper and less hassle. It alWAYs seemed like the "propane guy" was never available to fill my tanks!

BTW the wood slats on yours are gray fiberglass on mine.

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Have the same grill in black, mines not quite ready for an overhaul but have cooked a few steaks on it. Recently changed the gas lines from the quick release to a standard tank because my tank expired and i could not get it filled any more. Great grill, probably get another 10-15 years out of it
Interestingly, I'm running into this problem also. One of the places I get my tanks filled no longer has the adapter. Also, one of the tanks is showing some surface rust, which means it's time to get some new ones. As I understand it, you can only get the new style flange fitting, so I will have to swap it out.
I swap our tanks at Wal-Mart, it turned out to be cheaper and less hassle. It alWAYs seemed like the "propane guy" was never available to fill my tanks!

BTW the wood slats on yours are gray fiberglass on mine.
Yes and when any rust appears on the tanks, the filler man says it's time to get new ones, and won't fill them. Hence the swap at the grocery store or Wal Mart. I haven't done that in over five years, and both my tanks are getting surface rust. From what I understand, you can't get the QD style any more, so I'll have to change the regulator over to the new style.

fatchoppers

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I like to but buy a new grill every three years

nice work though!!!

eddiej

DFO Master
Reaction score
Nice job TommyKat!

We have a Weber gas grille, a Genesis Silver B. Got it new in 2003. Almost identical to yours except our side/swing out tray is plastic where yours is wood. Those things are built like tanks. All I've had to do to it is replace the flavorizer bars. I opted to replace the cast iron grates with stainless steel - cast iron was too high maintenance for me.

TommyKat Are you sure Webers are now made in China? If that's true then it's a shame. I need to replace a gas grille that was trashed at our shore house during hurricane Sandy. It was a CharBroil that was only a few years old. Supposedly it was one of their better models and it turned out to be a POS.

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Nice job TommyKat!

We have a Weber gas grille, a Genesis Silver B. Got it new in 2003. Almost identical to yours except our side/swing out tray is plastic where yours is wood. Those things are built like tanks. All I've had to do to it is replace the flavorizer bars. I opted to replace the cast iron grates with stainless steel - cast iron was too high maintenance for me.

TommyKat Are you sure Webers are now made in China? If that's true then it's a shame. I need to replace a gas grille that was trashed at our shore house during hurricane Sandy. It was a CharBroil that was only a few years old. Supposedly it was one of their better models and it turned out to be a POS.
CharBroil, Grill Master, Brinkmann and a couple of others have reinvented what we know as "quality." The thinking is that the consumer will now spend $450 every couple of years for a new, poorly designed barbeque. What? I guess I'm just old school. OTOH, the newest comparable Weber to ours is the Genesis E330, and it sells for about $850. The next model up has stainless doors in lieu of black, and goes for over $1,000. I'm sorry, but I just can't see this as being a good deal. As mentioned I have about $750 invested in mine over an 18 year period, and I won't give it up until I can't get parts for it any more. I want a barbeque that will be reliable any day of the week, at any temperature, in any weather.

A family member has a Brinkmann, and when I used it this summer, the grills would fall inside due to the kettle warping. We had to improvise with some metal shims. It really is a POS, and only three years old, with little use over that time.

Weber bought out Ducane (which also makes Brinkmann), if I have my facts straight, and moved manufacturing to China, though the company still has it's headquarters in the U.S. and is still a private company. Yours is the last of the goodies, and parts are still available.

Another family member bought a Weber Genesis E330 two years ago, and I helped him assemble it. Though it was of great quality, there are all kinds of electrical contacts and wires for the ingnitor mechanism (the three gas burners ignite separately), and there are at least double or triple the parts of our older models. It took a full afternoon of two people to assemble it. Mostly stainless skirting and cabinet doors. Though it appears stout, I can't get by the fact that all of this claptrap sits outside for its lifetime. The ignitor now uses an AA battery, in lieu of the clicker mechanism. How can batteries and contacts last outside in the rain, even covered? I can't see this $1,000 barbeque lasting more than a few years. Just my 02.

OTOH, our American designed and built models are very elegant and "functionally beautiful." Sure the gas tank sticks out the side, and there's no stainless steel to show off in your back yard--or that you have to clean. But how can you argue with 18 years of reliability? The simplicity and stoutness astound me.

tamadrm

DFO Master
Reaction score
HHHHHHHMMMMMMM man tools...fire.......meat.....me like it.

Beautiful job.A mans got to grill,what a mans got to grill.

Steve B

4and20

Reaction score
Hi Tommykat1, I have a very similar weber grill that I'd like to restore. I called weber yesterday and gave them the model and serial numbers to see if they can supply parts and I'm happy to say they can. The weber lady said my grill is from 1985!! I knew my Dad bought it in the 80's but even he wasnt sure when. I was wondering what kind of black paint you used for the aluminum, was it specifically for grilles? and now that its been 10 months or so, how has it held up? Thanks!

BTW, I asked her where the webers are made now and she said only the Spirit series are made offshore and that all others are still made in the USA.

Smogcity

Reaction score
Ok...I'm inspired. I've got two of these that need exactly what you did!

67Mopar

God Speed Jerry
Reaction score
I gotta clean mine, had a fire under the flavor bars and it torched a sweet hunk of beautifully marbleized bone in rib eye, Im getting hungry.

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
4and20 said:
Hi Tommykat1, I have a very similar weber grill that I'd like to restore. I called weber yesterday and gave them the model and serial numbers to see if they can supply parts and I'm happy to say they can. The weber lady said my grill is from 1985!! I knew my Dad bought it in the 80's but even he wasnt sure when. I was wondering what kind of black paint you used for the aluminum, was it specifically for grilles? and now that its been 10 months or so, how has it held up? Thanks!

BTW, I asked her where the webers are made now and she said only the Spirit series are made offshore and that all others are still made in the USA.
Glad to see this thread revitalized!

I used two spray cans of "high heat barbeque paint" that I bought at home Depot.

The barbeque still looks great, and everything is functioning perfectly. My most recent purchase was a new authentic cover. It is the third one I've needed for this barbecue, so figure one about every six years or so. Our winters in Oregon are pretty wet, so this barbecue has been though the ringer.

Note that you don't have to buy the parts directly from Weber. There are at least three great barbecue parts stores on the web, and they sell authentic Weber parts at highly discounted prices.

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Oh, and I also finally got a new regulator with the proper legal hose attachment, so I was able to swap out my propane tanks.

Smogcity

Reaction score
tommykat1 said:
Note that you don't have to buy the parts directly from Weber. There are at least three great barbecue parts stores on the web, and they sell authentic Weber parts at highly discounted prices.
Which one/s have you had the best luck with?

Latest posts