OT: Resurrecting old laptop

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had an old (2015 I think) but underpowered HP Pavilion that we loaned to one of my wife's business partners to do simple web surfing and testing platforms, etc.. not much horsepower needed. Now, she is gone and shipped back the laptop. She was always complaining that it was a dog, even after I had reformatted the hard drive and installed Win10 on it. 16 GB. She was right. It was a slow pig...

I decided it would be nice to have a faster extra laptop, since I bought a new one recently and immediately upgraded the memory to 32gb and a SSD hard drive (1T). So, I spent about $300 to put a 32gb memory stick and also a new 1T SSD hard drive in the old laptop. Man, this thing screams now (knowing it hasn't been bloated yet with malware and such...). Also, I didn't know the screen is a touch screen now. It certainly wasn't before. At least it wasn't configured that way. I booted it from a thumb drive to set up WIN10 and well as preserve the few things I had on it before. The difference is like night and day.

So before you put your old laptop on the curb for a e-waste pickup, just see if you can upgrade, Personally, I think the 32gb upgrade from 16gb and the SSD ids what revived it to its present glory...Duuhhhh

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did the same thing with a 2014 (I think) iMac. Except I can't do anything about the soldered in RAM, thanks a lot Apple. It was given to me after my grandmother passed, and she always complained about how slow it was. I cracked that sucker open, replaced the old laptop-style spinning rust hard drive in it with an SSD, it's it's a fine DAW running Logic Pro X now. Manufacturers should have been ashamed to market computers with fast CPUs and lots of RAM while absolutely crippling them with garbage hard drives.

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've been sticking with Chrome books for the past several years. At least for the everyday stuff. Fast, no bloat and easy to manage.

Unfortunately, if you want to do video editing, audio editing/mixing or animation, it doesn't offer strong tools yet.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
SSDs all the way.

I sped up our users PCs by swapping the physical hard drives with SSDs. Everyone noticed the difference.

Now SSDs are affordable, too.
And they're still coming down. A 1T is $130 and I'm waiting for the 2T's to come down more.

m_anderson

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
SSDs have been the single biggest breakthrough for computers in decades. Tornado is right, every quarter or six months they would advertise some CPU, memory, GPU, bus lane, port or anything just a little bit faster. What a scam that has been and still is. But be careful and make sure you are backing up your SSD. I've had to send three of them out to Ontrack for data recovery and one came back unrecoverable. In my IT career I can't remember one platter drive that could not have the data recovered. The SSDs are very risky. I have been warning of this since they first hit the market.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
Before I rebuilt my computer from the ground up last year, the main components were from 2012. Over the years I upgraded the RAM and SSD drive and it would boot up in about 30 seconds. Finally needed a faster/stronger CPU so had to upgrade the motherboard, which meant newer type of RAM too.

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I sped up my old computers and drastically increased their life expectancies by ditching Windows and Mac and switching to Linux. With Windows especially, it's like driving a truck full of junk someone else says you have to haul, and then being pleasantly surprised at the performance gain and efficiency when you empty out the bed. I still have an early netbook that works.

dcrigger

DFO Star
Reaction score
I was thought it was the chip, not the hard drive....great tip!
Well older laptops were notorious for having 2.5" 5400rpm hard drives and so bump to an SSD would have a considerable effect....

.... on hard drive related tasks.

It all depends on what you are using the computer to do... some tasks are very drive dependent - others RAM hungry - others graphics demanding and yet others need tons of fast computational juice. Or some combination of the four. So how well improving hard drive capabilities improves the overall experience is going to be very dependent on the tasks being required.

poot

Penncrest Endorser
Reaction score
From my late brother's estate I acquired his old AMD Thinkpad with Windows 8. I'd like to refurb it, but I don't even know the startup password. How can I reset it?

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
From my late brother's estate I acquired his old AMD Thinkpad with Windows 8. I'd like to refurb it, but I don't even know the startup password. How can I reset it?

If you plan on installing a new drive then it doesn't matter, get the new drive and the O/S begin with a fresh system.
If you do want to get it opened before making that commitment, then there are some workarounds on the web. Here's some resources for you:

How to Reset Winodws 8 Password on Lenovo [Quick, Safe] (appgeeker.com)

poot

Penncrest Endorser
Reaction score
If you plan on installing a new drive then it doesn't matter, get the new drive and the O/S begin with a fresh system.
If you do want to get it opened before making that commitment, then there are some workarounds on the web. Here's some resources for you:
Thank you, Hop!

Reactions: Hop

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well older laptops were notorious for having 2.5" 5400rpm hard drives and so bump to an SSD would have a considerable effect....

.... on hard drive related tasks.

It all depends on what you are using the computer to do... some tasks are very drive dependent - others RAM hungry - others graphics demanding and yet others need tons of fast computational juice. Or some combination of the four. So how well improving hard drive capabilities improves the overall experience is going to be very dependent on the tasks being required.
n
Switching to an SSD massively increased the quality of sports streaming for me, even though my internet connection is woefully slow. I didn't think that was the bottleneck until I used a different machine with an SSD on the same crummy internet with better performance. I ordered one the same day

dcrigger

DFO Star
Reaction score
n
Switching to an SSD massively increased the quality of sports streaming for me, even though my internet connection is woefully slow. I didn't think that was the bottleneck until I used a different machine with an SSD on the same crummy internet with better performance. I ordered one the same day
That's not surprising - because again, the different areas of the hardware can all interact - depending on the task and yes, the overall configuration.

How could a faster drive help streaming? I would think it depends of the rest of the system. If the systems shy on RAM - it can necessitate lots of repetitively pulling sub-routines from the drive or to rely in part on the drive for buffering.

So while this obviously helped - I could imagine that increasing the available RAM might have helped more.

At the end of the day - more RAM, faster drives and more processing power -in any combination - is going to make a lot of things go better. Overall balance is important - but again, there are some tasks that are more taxing of one part more than the others.